Daily Devotionals on the Book of Job - Week 5

November 26 ~ Job 40:1-14
1-2 God then confronted Job directly: "Now what do you have to say for yourself?
Are you going to haul me, the Mighty One, into court and press charges?"
3-5 Job answered:
"I'm speechless, in awe—words fail me.
I should never have opened my mouth!
I've talked too much, way too much.
I'm ready to shut up and listen."

6-7 God addressed Job next from the eye of the storm, and this is what he said:
"I have some more questions for you,
and I want straight answers.

8-14 "Do you presume to tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Are you calling me a sinner so you can be a saint?
Do you have an arm like my arm?
Can you shout in thunder the way I can?
Go ahead, show your stuff.
Let's see what you're made of, what you can do.
Unleash your outrage.
Target the arrogant and lay them flat.
Target the arrogant and bring them to their knees.
Stop the wicked in their tracks—make mincemeat of them!
Dig a mass grave and dump them in it—
faceless corpses in an unmarked grave.
I'll gladly step aside and hand things over to you—
you can surely save yourself with no help from me!

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Have you ever seen two people do a dance routine where one person does a series of dance steps and then stands back and expects the other to match it? Or maybe you have seen two musicians go at it on the song “Dueling Banjos.” In essence, the person who leads off is saying to the other, “Let’s see what you are made of… what you can do.”

That may work in dance and music, but it will never work with God. There is no way we can ever match His power and authority, and like Job, it is well past time for many of us to “shut up and listen.”

So how are you doing? Are you still trying to “drive the car?” Or are you ready to “shut up and listen,” and “let go and let GOD?”

©2007 Debbie Robus

-----------------------------------------------------------------

November 25 ~ Job 38:1-35
1 And now, finally, God answered Job from the eye of a violent storm. He said:
2-11 "Why do you confuse the issue?
Why do you talk without knowing what you're talking about?
Pull yourself together, Job!
Up on your feet! Stand tall!
I have some questions for you,
and I want some straight answers.
Where were you when I created the earth?
Tell me, since you know so much!
Who decided on its size? Certainly you'll know that!
Who came up with the blueprints and measurements?
How was its foundation poured,
and who set the cornerstone,
While the morning stars sang in chorus
and all the angels shouted praise?
And who took charge of the ocean
when it gushed forth like a baby from the womb?
That was me! I wrapped it in soft clouds,
and tucked it in safely at night.
Then I made a playpen for it,
a strong playpen so it couldn't run loose,
And said, 'Stay here, this is your place.
Your wild tantrums are confined to this place.'

12-15 "And have you ever ordered Morning, 'Get up!'
told Dawn, 'Get to work!'
So you could seize Earth like a blanket
and shake out the wicked like cockroaches?
As the sun brings everything to light,
brings out all the colors and shapes,
The cover of darkness is snatched from the wicked—
they're caught in the very act!

16-18 "Have you ever gotten to the true bottom of things,
explored the labyrinthine caves of deep ocean?
Do you know the first thing about death?
Do you have one clue regarding death's dark mysteries?
And do you have any idea how large this earth is?
Speak up if you have even the beginning of an answer.

19-21 "Do you know where Light comes from
and where Darkness lives
So you can take them by the hand
and lead them home when they get lost?
Why, of course you know that.
You've known them all your life,
grown up in the same neighborhood with them!

22-30 "Have you ever traveled to where snow is made,
seen the vault where hail is stockpiled,
The arsenals of hail and snow that I keep in readiness
for times of trouble and battle and war?
Can you find your way to where lightning is launched,
or to the place from which the wind blows?
Who do you suppose carves canyons
for the downpours of rain, and charts
the route of thunderstorms
That bring water to unvisited fields,
deserts no one ever lays eyes on,
Drenching the useless wastelands
so they're carpeted with wildflowers and grass?
And who do you think is the father of rain and dew,
the mother of ice and frost?
You don't for a minute imagine
these marvels of weather just happen, do you?

31-33 "Can you catch the eye of the beautiful Pleiades sisters,
or distract Orion from his hunt?
Can you get Venus to look your way,
or get the Great Bear and her cubs to come out and play?
Do you know the first thing about the sky's constellations
and how they affect things on Earth?

34-35 "Can you get the attention of the clouds,
and commission a shower of rain?
Can you take charge of the lightning bolts
and have them report to you for orders?

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Some of you know that I like to write songs… mostly contemporary Christian music. I believe that God gives me inspiration through events, scripture, and prayer. When a song is given to me, the words and music flow very quickly, and I know that it is right. If I struggle with it, I have to question if God is really creating this through me or if I am forcing it to happen on my own. But when I am sure that God has had a hand in the song’s creation, I am confident of both the words and the melody, and I have a peace and joy about the finished work.

Once I was sharing one of the songs I had written with some musician friends, and as I sang the song, one of the friends said, “You know, I think that particular part should go this way,” and he scooted me over on the piano and began to rework my song. I have to tell you, I was not a happy camper! It was, after all, MY song. With God’s help, I created it, and I knew how it was supposed to go! It’s not that I can’t take friendly criticism, but this was a major revision of something I had formed and practiced over and over at the piano, getting every note and word where it should be. And yet this friend thought he knew better than I how the song should go!

That is how it is with God. He has done the work, created the masterpiece, and then we stand back and say, “You know, if you would just move that cloud over to the left so it shades me better,” or “If you would just send us some rain for this dry land,” or “If you would just make my backside smaller and my hair softer and take away the wrinkles around my eyes.” Or if you are a guy, maybe you wish God would give you MORE hair and bigger muscles and an inch or two of height.

But all of this is our small mortal attempt to “play God,” and as you can see in this passage, He is not taking it well. GOD is the Author and Finisher of all Creation, and it’s about time we started recognizing Him for His efforts!

©2007 Debbie Robus


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 24 ~ Job 37:1-13
1-13 "Whenever this happens, my heart stops— I'm stunned, I can't catch my breath.
Listen to it! Listen to his thunder,
the rolling, rumbling thunder of his voice.
He lets loose his lightnings from horizon to horizon,
lighting up the earth from pole to pole.
In their wake, the thunder echoes his voice,
powerful and majestic.
He lets out all the stops, he holds nothing back.
No one can mistake that voice —
His word thundering so wondrously,
his mighty acts staggering our understanding.
He orders the snow, 'Blanket the earth!'
and the rain, 'Soak the whole countryside!'
No one can escape the weather—it's there.
And no one can escape from God.
Wild animals take shelter,
crawling into their dens,
When blizzards roar out of the north
and freezing rain crusts the land.
It's God's breath that forms the ice,
it's God's breath that turns lakes and rivers solid.
And yes, it's God who fills clouds with rainwater
and hurls lightning from them every which way.
He puts them through their paces—first this way, then that—
commands them to do what he says all over the world.
Whether for discipline or grace or extravagant love,
he makes sure they make their mark.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

WOW! I can almost envision this passage as a documentary on the Discovery Channel! Imagine God, breathing ice and making rivers and lakes turn solid. See Him hurl lightning bolts like Spiderman hurls his web. Hear His voice thundering through the valleys and canyons and city streets. It is powerful, it is majestic, it is breathtaking, and HE is OUR FATHER!!!

This is bigger than Star Wars! This is more beautiful than Lonesome Dove or The Blue Planet! This is more powerful than Superman, Spiderman, Luke Skywalker and Mr. T all rolled into one! This is GOD! And His magnificence astounds me and takes my breath! He has the power to love us extravagantly and correct us sternly… but either way is always perfect.Just keep reminding yourself… GOD is amazing, powerful, magnificent, breathtaking…and He is OUR FATHER! NOTHING could be better than this!


©2007 Debbie Robus

----------------------------------------------------------

November 23 ~ Job 36:16-21
"Oh, Job, don't you see how God's wooing you
from the jaws of danger?
How he's drawing you into wide-open places—
inviting you to feast at a table laden with blessings?
And here you are laden with the guilt of the wicked,
obsessed with putting the blame on God!
Don't let your great riches mislead you;
don't think you can bribe your way out of this.
Did you plan to buy your way out of this?
Not on your life!
And don't think that night,
when people sleep off their troubles,
will bring you any relief.
Above all, don't make things worse with more evil—
that's what's behind your suffering as it is!

22-25 "Do you have any idea how powerful God is?
Have you ever heard of a teacher like him?
Has anyone ever had to tell him what to do,
or correct him, saying, 'You did that all wrong!'?
Remember, then, to praise his workmanship,
which is so often celebrated in song.
Everybody sees it;
nobody is too far away to see it.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

I will never forget the magnolia tree my mother planted in our front yard. Standing only about 3 feet high, it was a perfect “hurdle” for young kids of 7 or 8 years of age. We would run and see if we could jump over it… chanting “Jack be nimble, Jack be quick… Jack jump OVER (and here’s where we made our hurdle) the candlestick!” One day I didn’t make it. I don’t remember if anyone else missed before or after, but I know that I didn’t make it, and the little sapling snapped, and I knew I was in Trouble (and yes, that’s with a capital T!).

Think quickly! I had to have a good excuse! I know! I’ll say that my little brother did it! He was always getting into things he shouldn’t. And that’s exactly what I did. I blamed my brother for my mistake. And HE got MY punishment, which was swift and harsh. And I felt HORRIBLE. It obviously didn’t bother me enough to tell the truth… especially after I saw what happened to him! But it did bother me… for years and years. It bothered me so much that shortly before my brother died, I wrote him a letter, and in that letter, I apologized for it. And he hugged me and we cried, and he told me it was okay. But to this day, it still kills my soul to think that I let my brother take my blame. And that tree is now enormously huge and beautiful, but I honestly do not enjoy it one bit!

My point is this. There comes a time when you have to stand up and own up to your mistakes and admit that YOU are the one who got into a mess. Blaming God only makes it worse. Yes, it was bad enough that I broke the tree. But it was far worse that I blamed my brother and let him take my punishment. God won’t stand for that! And rightly so! He cannot be bribed, He doesn’t like excuses, and He does not need us telling Him what to do or how to do things. BUT… He can – and He will forgive you and restore you… IF you will be real with Him and honestly and openly admit your mistakes and your needs and ask for His help.

So, the next time you pass a magnolia tree, think of the mistake I made as a child and be reminded of your own mistakes. And thank God for redeeming us - and ask Him to guide your steps and your choices in the future.


©2007 Debbie Robus


------------------------------------------------------------


November 22 ~ Job 35:9-15
"When times get bad, people cry out for help.
They cry for relief from being kicked around,
But never give God a thought when things go well,
when God puts spontaneous songs in their hearts,
When God sets out the entire creation as a science classroom,
using birds and beasts to teach wisdom.
People are arrogantly indifferent to God—
until, of course, they're in trouble,
and then God is indifferent to them.
There's nothing behind such prayers except panic;
the Almighty pays them no mind.
So why would he notice you
just because you say you're tired of waiting to be heard,
Or waiting for him to get good and angry
and do something about the world's problems?

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

My little “tuxedo cat” Lucy is a “momma’s girl,” and like her calico sister, Mabel, she is spoiled rotten. For most of the day, Lucy curls up in a chair and is perfectly content to sleep her life away. Everything is good in her little world, and she forgets about me and her sibling and my husband and everything else. But when she wants our attention, she comes alive and cries and paws at us and rubs against our legs… and if that doesn’t work, she finds something to knock off a shelf or she stand up on our legs and paws at us and really cries. She is “arrogantly indifferent” until she needs something, and then she panics and demands that we notice her. Sometimes, we are irritated with her for the persistent begging. Sometimes, we just look at her lovingly and laugh at how silly she is. And always, we meet her needs… both for physical care and for the attention she craves.

We are just like Lucy so much of the time in our relationship with God. As long as everything is going well in our little worlds, we drift along and “snooze” the day away, assuming that God is blessing us and taking care of things. But let us wake up to a bump in the road…a sudden illness, a test we haven’t studied well for, trouble at work, too much to do and too little time, an argument with someone, or everyday stress, and we panic and go running to God. “God, you’ve got to do something!”

It is amazing to me… and so wonderful… to know that God always meets our needs, even when we are in a panic and being silly. He must get quite a laugh… just as my husband and I do with our little furry balls of insecurity. He must think to Himself… “you silly person! I have always been right here caring for you… it was YOU who backed away and forgot about ME!” I am ashamed to admit that I act this way. I pray that I would grow stronger in my faith and less “arrogantly indifferent” toward my Heavenly Father, and if you are a “Lucy” style believer, may this be your prayer also.

©2007 Debbie Robus

--------------------------------------------------------


November 21 ~ Job 34:29-33
29-30 "If God is silent, what's that to you?
If he turns his face away, what can you do about it?
But whether silent or hidden, he's there, ruling,
so that those who hate God won't take over
and ruin people's lives.

31-33 "So why don't you simply confess to God?
Say, 'I sinned, but I'll sin no more.
Teach me to see what I still don't see.
Whatever evil I've done, I'll do it no more.'
Just because you refuse to live on God's terms,
do you think he should start living on yours?
You choose. I can't do it for you.
Tell me what you decide.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Who knew that Burger King existed in Job’s time?! He wants to “have it his way” with God… the “Burger King mentality!” And a lot of the time, we are the same way. “God, if you will do this for me, I’ll do that for you.” We bargain with God and try to tell Him how to do things, and we tell Him what we will do in return.


Elihu has hit the nail on the head. We need to humble ourselves and confess to God our sins and shortcomings. We need to move forward doing what GOD wants us to do… not what we want or what we want GOD to want! Elihu is right… just because we refuse to live on God’s terms doesn’t mean He should start living on ours. I can assure you, that ain’t happenin’! But… it IS our choice… we can have it our way, or God’s… so what have you decided?

©2007 Debbie Robus

------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 20 ~Job 33
1-4 "So please, Job, hear me out, honor me by listening to me.
What I'm about to say
has been carefully thought out.
I have no ulterior motives in this;
I'm speaking honestly from my heart.
The Spirit of God made me what I am,
the breath of God Almighty gave me life!
God Always Answers, One Way or Another
5-7 "And if you think you can prove me wrong, do it.
Lay out your arguments. Stand up for yourself!
Look, I'm human—no better than you;
we're both made of the same kind of mud.
So let's work this through together;
don't let my aggressiveness overwhelm you.

8-11 "Here's what you said.
I heard you say it with my own ears.
You said, 'I'm pure—I've done nothing wrong.
Believe me, I'm clean—my conscience is clear.
But God keeps picking on me;
he treats me like I'm his enemy.
He's thrown me in jail;
he keeps me under constant surveillance.'

12-14 "But let me tell you, Job, you're wrong, dead wrong!
God is far greater than any human.
So how dare you haul him into court,
and then complain that he won't answer your charges?
God always answers, one way or another,
even when people don't recognize his presence.

15-18 "In a dream, for instance, a vision at night,
when men and women are deep in sleep,
fast asleep in their beds—
God opens their ears
and impresses them with warnings
To turn them back from something bad they're planning,
from some reckless choice,
And keep them from an early grave,
from the river of no return.

19-22 "Or, God might get their attention through pain,
by throwing them on a bed of suffering,
So they can't stand the sight of food,
have no appetite for their favorite treats.
They lose weight, wasting away to nothing,
reduced to a bag of bones.
They hang on the cliff-edge of death,
knowing the next breath may be their last.

23-25 "But even then an angel could come,
a champion—there are thousands of them!—
to take up your cause,
A messenger who would mercifully intervene,
canceling the death sentence with the words:
'I've come up with the ransom!'
Before you know it, you're healed,
the very picture of health!

26-28 "Or, you may fall on your knees and pray—to God's delight!
You'll see God's smile and celebrate,
finding yourself set right with God.
You'll sing God's praises to everyone you meet,
testifying, 'I messed up my life—
and let me tell you, it wasn't worth it.
But God stepped in and saved me from certain death.
I'm alive again! Once more I see the light!'

29-30 "This is the way God works.
Over and over again
He pulls our souls back from certain destruction
so we'll see the light—and live in the light!

31-33 "Keep listening, Job.
Don't interrupt—I'm not finished yet.
But if you think of anything I should know, tell me.
There's nothing I'd like better than to see your name cleared.
Meanwhile, keep listening. Don't distract me with interruptions.
I'm going to teach you the basics of wisdom."

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

I’m skipping ahead quite a few chapters here, and if you want a real drama, go to BibleGateway.com and read chapters 14-32 of the Book of Job. His “friends” continue to argue with him about God and try to convince him that God is punishing him for past sins. And then this younger man, Elihu, arrives on the scene and lays it all out for Job, with the power and wisdom of the Holy Spirit.

I can’t add much to this… Elihu gives several examples of God’s power and influence and builds his case that God is working in us and through us at all hours of the night and day. I don’t know about you, but I have had moments when I won’t say I wondered where God was, but I didn’t “feel” His presence as much as I thought I should. The more I stay in His word and spend time in His presence, the more I see Him at work in daily situations. What about you? Can you see God at work?

©2007 Debbie Robus

No comments: