Daily Devotionals on Joy - Week 4

December 31 ~ Psalm 106:4
Remember me, God, when you enjoy your people; include me when you save them; I want to see your chosen succeed, celebrate with your celebrating nation, join the Hallelujahs of your pride and joy!

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

For days – maybe even weeks now – people have been asking, “What are you doing for New Year’s Eve?” These three words… New Year’s Eve… evoke memories as unique as each individual. Remember the year 2000? We watched on television as city after city around the world celebrated the New Millenium with fireworks and revelry. Some people shoot fireworks each year. Some celebrate at parties. Some go to bed and forget about the hoopla! Millions watch “the ball” drop in Times Square, New York City. We celebrate July 4th as a nation, but on December 31st at midnight, the whole world celebrates. And what, exactly, are we celebrating? That, too, varies. But many people are celebrating the “survival” of another year, and more importantly, the onset of a new year… a clean slate… a fresh start.This New Year’s Eve, however you celebrate, and whatever you consider as you look ahead to the coming year, I ask you to consider your Spiritual future. Take a few minutes to thank God for where He has brought you and where He will lead you this next year. Revel in the blessings He has given you, and celebrate the potential for growth in your walk with Him in the days and weeks ahead. God celebrates His children and He enjoys us… especially when we please Him and spend time in His presence. So celebrate this New Year’s Eve (wisely, please!), and look forward to the New Year. With God by your side, anticipate a year of success, many blessings, and days filled with joy. Happy New Year!

©2007 Debbie Robus

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 30 ~ Psalm 86:11
Train me, God, to walk straight; then I'll follow your true path. Put me together, one heart and mind; then, undivided, I'll worship in joyful fear. From the bottom of my heart I thank you, dear Lord; I've never kept secret what you're up to. You've always been great toward me—what love! You snatched me from the brink of disaster! God, these bullies have reared their heads! A gang of thugs is after me— and they don't care a thing about you. But you, O God, are both tender and kind, not easily angered, immense in love, and you never, never quit. So look me in the eye and show kindness, give your servant the strength to go on, save your dear, dear child! Make a show of how much you love me so the bullies who hate me will stand there slack-jawed, As you, God, gently and powerfully put me back on my feet.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

When I read this scripture passage, two things came to mind… one was a toy punching bag that was around when I was a kid. It seems like most of them had a clown on them or some other goofy something, and when you punched it, the inflated bag with the weighted bottom fell backward, then bounced toward you. The other was a tether ball. You could hit the ball, which was tied to a rope on a pole, and it would swing around the pole and come back to you to be hit again.

The key to both of these things was their anchor. For the punching bag, it was sand or some sort of other heavy material that weighted the bottom and held it securely in place. For the tether ball, it was the pole and rope. Without these strongholds, neither one would work… they would go flying off into oblivion, or fall down and stay down!

This is how it is with God. HE is our anchor… our stronghold. With Him to hold us, no matter what comes our way, we can bounce back or swing around again. He gives us the strength, security and confidence to “keep on keepin’ on!” I sincerely hope you don’t keep this wonderful news a secret. I hope you share it with others… that it is a part of the fabric of your daily life to show and tell others how vital God is to your existence! God never quits…do you?


©2007 Debbie Robus

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 28 ~ Psalm 19:7
The revelation of God is whole and pulls our lives together. The signposts of God are clear and point out the right road. The life-maps of God are right, showing the way to joy. The directions of God are plain and easy on the eyes. God's reputation is twenty-four-carat gold, with a lifetime guarantee. The decisions of God are accurate down to the nth degree.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

I have to tell you, I am terrible with maps. I get so turned around… is this east or west? How far is it to this town or that? Which way do you turn? And I am near-sighted (meaning I have trouble seeing at a distance), so even with my eye glasses, sometimes I can’t read the road signs soon enough to help a driver successfully negotiate through traffic. I so admire people like my husband, who can study a map prior to a trip and drive us around a major city as if he has lived there all of his life. For him, road maps are “plain and easy on the eyes.”

Thankfully, the life-maps of God are right, and they do point the way to joy. God’s directions, through scripture, prayer, and a growing relationship with the Holy Spirit, are always right on target. Occasionally I struggle with the “map” and veer a little off course, but that is my bad, not God’s. I know that His decisions, His plans, and His directions are 100% accurate. So it’s easy to get back on course… all I have to do is jump back into the scripture and prayer, and I am headed toward joy once again.

How are your map reading skills? Are you able to find your way? What about your Spiritual map? Does it point the way to joy? If you have veered off course, You’ll be headed in the right direction again in no time.


©2007 Debbie Robus

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 27 ~ Psalm 9:1
I'm thanking you, God, from a full heart, I'm writing the book on your wonders. I'm whistling, laughing, and jumping for joy; I'm singing your song, High God.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

In the next few days, a lot of people will start to write out a list of New Year’s resolutions. They may not end up keeping them, but more than a few of us will write them… or list them in our heads and vow to do things in the New Year like lose weight, exercise more, stop a bad habit, start some good habits, study harder, relax more… well, you get the picture.

Today I want to challenge us to make a different list. I want us to list the wonders of God in our life. I want us to think about the things God does for us, and through us, that bring us joy. And then I want us to resolve to pay closer attention this next year to God’s perfect gifts and how often we receive them. I want us to make a resolution to be more joyful, more grateful, and to operate out of a more full heart.

I will be the first to admit that sometimes I don’t see the big picture. Sometimes I get so caught up in the small things that I don’t remember to forgive those who have offended, to thank those who have helped, to ignore gossip and deplore foul language and to compliment those who do well and encourage those who are struggling. I am far from the person I want to be, and so I am resolving to be better, to study harder, pray more often, and especially to listen more closely to the Holy Spirit and His instruction for my life.

I may need to lose weight, exercise more and give up bad habits… and hopefully I can do all of these things and more! But more importantly, I need to resolve to do more for my Spiritual health, and to operate from a heart filled with joy and songs of praise for the Most High God. So what are your New Year’s resolutions?

©2007 Debbie Robus

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 26 ~ Psalm 4:4-8
4-5 Complain if you must, but don't lash out.
Keep your mouth shut, and let your heart do the talking.
Build your case before God and wait for his verdict.

6-7 Why is everyone hungry for more? "More, more," they say.
"More, more."
I have God's more-than-enough,
More joy in one ordinary day

7-8 Than they get in all their shopping sprees.
At day's end I'm ready for sound sleep,
For you, God, have put my life back together.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Do you know what day it is? It’s the day after Christmas… the day when Wal-Mart and other stores will open bright and early with their “after-Christmas” clearance sales. It’s the day when people will be rushing to stores to exchange the gifts they got for Christmas that didn’t fit or they didn’t like or to spend the gift money/cards that were given. It’s all about the shopping for many.

Others will rush to take down the tree today and box up the decorations and erase every shred of evidence that just a day before it was Christmas and everyone was celebrating. Still others will nap and rest, tired from all of the festivities and activities of a busy month of “season’s greetings.”

I don’t know if any of these scenarios describe your life. You may still be celebrating Christmas with family and friends today. Or you may be in “chill” mode – just taking a break between celebrations. Whatever your situation, take just a few minutes today to sit still and think about God. Meditate on what He does for you each and every day – and not just at Christmas time. Think about the fact that the gift of His Son, Jesus Christ, is a daily gift and not just something to embrace on December 25th. Feel the joy of knowing that, beyond all of the tinsel and glitter and carols and cookies and packages under the tree, God’s extraordinary, every day gift of Jesus is more than enough. The joy of a daily relationship with Christ makes every day Christmas. On this ordinary day, stop to thank God for His Gift – the one that truly matters.

©2007 Debbie Robus
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 25 ~ 1 John 1:2-4
From the very first day, we were there, taking it all in—we heard it with our own ears, saw it with our own eyes, verified it with our own hands. The Word of Life appeared right before our eyes; we saw it happen! And now we're telling you in most sober prose that what we witnessed was, incredibly, this: The infinite Life of God himself took shape before us.

We saw it, we heard it, and now we're telling you so you can experience it along with us, this experience of communion with the Father and his Son, Jesus Christ. Our motive for writing is simply this: We want you to enjoy this, too. Your joy will double our joy!

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Imagine it… on this day when we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, consider that “the infinite Life of God himself took shape before us.” God took on the form of a tiny baby and came to earth and walked and lived among human beings as one of us. He loved us so much that He wanted to experience things exactly as we humans do… it doesn’t get any more real than that! And being “one of us” so to speak and doing this for us gave God great joy. I honestly don’t think I can ever grasp that level of love… but I surely want to try!

All I know is this… God sent Jesus Christ to live on this earth among us and to suffer and die for my sins. If I don’t get to heaven before Christ returns, He will come for me and take me home someday to live with Him. The thought of that much love for me astounds me, overwhelms me, humbles me, and fills me with more joy than I can explain. The knowledge that the Holy Spirit is with me all the time and I can call on Him more easily than I can pick up a phone and call my mom or my best friend fills me with tremendous peace and joy. And I want everyone I know and love to experience that same level of peace and joy – and even more – for themselves. Nothing… nothing would thrill me more than to know that every person I know and care for truly has a personal, day-to-day relationship with Jesus Christ and holds the Holy Spirit in their heart – to truly “get it” and to see them live in the joy of that relationship.

If you are searching today for a life that satisfies beyond your wildest dreams… if you are a Christian, but you have doubts or insecurities or just a gnawing sense that there is more… I invite you to sit still and ask the Holy Spirit to come. Ask the Holy Spirit to live within your heart and guide you daily. Be still, and know the peace and joy of being filled with the Holy Spirit. He truly does desire to be your constant companion, but He will wait patiently for you to invite Him. Make this the day. Make this the best Christmas ever. Feel the joy increase within you… then share it with others and watch it multiply. May the Lord of all Creation be YOUR Lord and Savior today, and I pray the Holy Spirit will fill you and grant you joy and peace. Merry Christmas!

©2007 Debbie Robus
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 24 ~ Hebrews 13:17
Be responsive to your pastoral leaders. Listen to their counsel. They are alert to the condition of your lives and work under the strict supervision of God. Contribute to the joy of their leadership, not its drudgery. Why would you want to make things harder for them?

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

You probably think this is a pretty odd scripture for Christmas Eve. But let’s look more closely at the message it contains. God sent Jesus to lead us… to be the ultimate Pastor. Consider what made Jesus joyful… little children, healing others, worshipping God in the temple and discussing Him with the elders there, helping his parents, showing others how to live in the joy of obedience to God. Demanding people, people with weakened faith, those who disrespected God and God’s temple, and those who doubted and betrayed Him made His life harder.

Now think of your own pastor or leader. God has ordained him or her to service. How can you contribute to the joy of their leadership? You can be joyful in your own service to God. You can attend worship and small group or Sunday School or youth night or Bible study and be attentive, encouraging, and happy. Your pastor or leader needs to look at you and see a smiling face, not a blank stare. I’m not saying you have to fake it and be happy when you are not, but we are called to encourage those whom God has called to serve as leaders. And when your pastor or leader asks you to serve in some capacity, if it is within your ability to do it, and you prayerfully feel this is what God desires of you, then you should agree to serve. You should be respectful of your leader’s authority and listen to their advice.

God blessed us with grace and mercy through the gift of His only Son, Who showed us how to live and then died for our sins. Based on the scriptures, I would say that there were plenty of times in Christ’s life on earth that were less than joyful and harder than they needed to be, thanks to the people who surrounded him and were in some cases supposed to be His followers. Yet he continued to serve us. In the same way, God has blessed us with leaders today to help us strengthen our faith… to comfort, encourage, and guide us. How will we treat them? Will we honor the birth of Jesus Christ by contributing to the joy of our present-day leadership? Let’s make this a Christmas gift to our pastor and leaders… let’s help dispel the drudgery and make their service joyful… in Jesus’ name. Amen!


©2007 Debbie Robus
------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 23 ~ 2 Timothy 1:3
Every time I say your name in prayer—which is practically all the time—I thank God for you, the God I worship with my whole life in the tradition of my ancestors. I miss you a lot, especially when I remember that last tearful good-bye, and I look forward to a joy-packed reunion.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

As you read this passage today, some of you are home for Christmas break. Maybe you had to say “good-bye” to a boyfriend or girlfriend as he/she went home to family and friends in another city. Maybe your family lives in another state and you don’t get to see them very often. Maybe your loved ones have already gone to heaven.

Regardless of your situation, we can probably all relate at one time or another to the feelings Paul has for Timothy. We can remind ourselves to pray for those we care about who are separated from us for whatever reason. And we can look forward to the day when we will see them again. We can be joyful at the thought of that reunion and how happy we will be to get together again.

Meanwhile, I challenge you to look around you. It’s almost Christmas. There are people right here where you are who are alone and feeling lonely. They are missing loved ones. They may be looking forward to a reunion soon… or they may be holding on for the day they will see their loved ones again in Heaven. Either way, they could use a friend. They could use a smile and maybe a hug and most certainly a word or two of encouragement… and of course, your prayers.

This is a season of great joy. Won’t you share some today with someone else? I’m betting it will make Christmas brighter for both of you!

©2007 Debbie Robus

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 22 ~ 1 Thessalonians 3:9
What would be an adequate thanksgiving to offer God for all the joy we experience before him because of you? We do what we can, praying away, night and day, asking for the bonus of seeing your faces again and doing what we can to help when your faith falters.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

I’ll be the first to admit that there are people in this world who can never be satisfied. No matter how much others do for them, they will still grumble and complain and want others to do more for them. And frankly, it is a sometimes a struggle to be joyful around these people – quite often, they are not very pleasant to be around, period!

On the other hand, think of people who are constantly joy-filled. Think of people you know who appreciate even the least little thing someone does for them, and they are very quick to express their gratitude. Or you do something for them that is really no big deal, and they act like you have done them a huge favor or given them a tremendous gift. In other words, doing things for these people gives you great joy. You honestly can’t wait for another opportunity to see them and do nice things for them again. Theirs is an attitude of gratitude.

When I read this scripture, it hit me that I am not always thankful enough to God for the joy-filled people. I need to thank Him more often for the people He puts in my path who fill me with such delight. I need to be reminded how blessed I am by the gift of these people, and when I encounter one of the “grumps” I need to be encouraged by the remembrance of the happy people God has given me.

What is truly adequate thanksgiving to God for the people who make our day brighter, strengthen our faith and bring us joy in the Lord? That is hard to say, but I think it starts with a prayer of thanksgiving and praise. After that, we should probably look for ways to bless these wonderful folks in some small measure – and to receive encouragement and blessings in the bargain.

Ultimately, we should always strive to be a blessing and a joy ourselves. As an employer used to say in my magazine’s “Help Wanted” ads… “Grumps need not apply!” This goes double for God’s servants!

©2007 Debbie Robus

No comments: