You are Blessed - Week 4

March 28 ~ Acts 2:27-38
David said it all:

I saw God before me for all time.
Nothing can shake me; he's right by my side.
I'm glad from the inside out, ecstatic;
I've pitched my tent in the land of hope.
I know you'll never dump me in Hades;
I'll never even smell the stench of death.
You've got my feet on the life-path,
with your face shining sun-joy all around.

29-36 "Dear friends, let me be completely frank with you. Our ancestor David is dead and buried—his tomb is in plain sight today. But being also a prophet and knowing that God had solemnly sworn that a descendant of his would rule his kingdom, seeing far ahead, he talked of the resurrection of the Messiah—'no trip to Hades, no stench of death.' This Jesus, God raised up. And every one of us here is a witness to it. Then, raised to the heights at the right hand of God and receiving the promise of the Holy Spirit from the Father, he poured out the Spirit he had just received. That is what you see and hear. For David himself did not ascend to heaven, but he did say,

God said to my Master, "Sit at my right hand
Until I make your enemies a stool for resting your feet."

"All Israel, then, know this: There's no longer room for doubt—God made him Master and Messiah, this Jesus whom you killed on a cross."

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

For more years than I can count, Easter was a “nice holiday,” but the full meaning of the weekend was somewhat lost on me. As a little girl, the main events of Easter for me focused on getting a new dress – and sometimes hat, purse, gloves and shoes – and what would be in our Easter baskets on Sunday morning. We hid eggs in the yard for days and ate candy until we were stuffed. I especially loved the “bird eggs” and would almost make myself sick on them. And those “crème eggs” – well, it was heaven on earth to have a “license” to eat all of that chocolate and sugary confection!

When I was an adult, one Sunday near Christmas, our pastor said that the REAL story of Christmas was not in the birth of Christ. The REAL story came at Easter in the resurrection from the tomb! As I began to fully grasp what Jesus did for us on the cross – the mental agony of knowing what was coming, followed by the actual physical abuse, pain, and suffering – I began to focus less on the birth and more on the death and resurrection. I realized what my pastor meant by this comment, and Easter became more special to me.

Now what does this have to do with this passage in Acts? For me, it reinforces my FAITH in the resurrection of Jesus to sit at God’s right hand in heaven. There are a lot of people who give lip service to this and SAY they believe it, but they don’t live it. A lot of people have not found the Holy Spirit and acknowledged Him as their daily companion… and maybe you are among them. Jesus didn’t just go to heaven and leave us here to make an occasional “Spiritual long-distance call” to Him in heaven. He sent His Spirit to live in our hearts and walk with us every minute of every day. But WE have to recognize the Holy Spirit’s presence – and His POWER!

Imagine it – David knew this would happen and told of it long before Christ was ever born. God made it a reality, and the presence of the Holy Spirit is as real today as it was in the vision David had so long ago. Today, my Easter may or may not include a new dress or chocolate bunnies and bird eggs, but certainly they have new meaning for me. They symbolize my rebirth as a Christian and my new, fresh Spirit-filled existence in Christ, Whose Holy Spirit never leaves me. The Cross is now as much a symbol of Easter for me as a bunny, lily, or baby chick. There is a song that says “Heaven is My throne, and earth is My footstool” and I know that someday I will kneel there with David and other believers and worship my Master and Messiah. Will you be there with me?

©2008 Debbie Robus


-------------------------------------------------------------

March 27 ~ Acts 2:14-27
14-21That's when Peter stood up and, backed by the other eleven, spoke out with bold urgency: "Fellow Jews, all of you who are visiting Jerusalem, listen carefully and get this story straight. These people aren't drunk as some of you suspect. They haven't had time to get drunk—it's only nine o'clock in the morning. This is what the prophet Joel announced would happen:

"In the Last Days," God says,
"I will pour out my Spirit
on every kind of people:
Your sons will prophesy,
also your daughters;
Your young men will see visions,
your old men dream dreams.
When the time comes,
I'll pour out my Spirit
On those who serve me, men and women both,
and they'll prophesy.
I'll set wonders in the sky above
and signs on the earth below,
Blood and fire and billowing smoke,
the sun turning black and the moon blood-red,
Before the Day of the Lord arrives,
the Day tremendous and marvelous;
And whoever calls out for help
to me, God, will be saved."


22-28 "Fellow Israelites, listen carefully to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a man thoroughly accredited by God to you—the miracles and wonders and signs that God did through him are common knowledge—this Jesus, following the deliberate and well-thought-out plan of God, was betrayed by men who took the law into their own hands, and was handed over to you. And you pinned him to a cross and killed him. But God untied the death ropes and raised him up. Death was no match for him.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Have you ever taken the law into your own hands? Have you ever said to your younger brother or sister, “I don’t care what Mom said… Mom isn’t here, and I’m in charge!” And then you went ahead with your choices and plans, which weren’t always necessarily right or fair. And maybe later you found out your Mom had a really good reason for her own rules and ways of doing things, and you had, in essence, screwed things up royally and caused a big problem. Or maybe at work, you have done this by “overriding” the decision of a boss or co-worker, deciding YOUR way was better! I am reminded of several episodes of “Andy Griffith” where Barney Fife thought Andy was making poor decisions, and Barney was just sure HE could do thing better. It NEVER worked and was quite often a disaster.


Now, almost to a person, we would probably all say we would never even consider overriding GOD’s plans, because… well… He is GOD! But do you see that we do that all the time? “Yes, God…” you say, “I know you want me to go to church and Sunday School, but I stayed out really late last night, and I have got to get some rest before school on Monday!” Or… “Yes, God, I know you don’t want me to marry this girl, but I LOVE her! We will work out the fact that she is Jewish and I’m Methodist. It will be okay.” Or… “God, you don’t REALLY mean for me to go into ministry, do you?! I can just serve in the church on a couple of committees and worship on Sunday. But puh-leeeese! Don’t ask me to be a lay speaker or sing in the choir!” Or even… “God, I know I should help that person, but I am so busy! Surely someone else can do it!”

See, we do this all the time, and in this respect, we are no better than the soldiers who crucified Jesus. And just like death was no match for Jesus, we are no match for God! It is time we realized that His plans for us are for good, not harm or evil, as stated in Jeremiah 29:11. It is time we realized that we serve GOD, not the other way around. It’s time we stopped trying to override His plans and decisions and humbled ourselves to serving Him as HE pleases. I am thankful that I don’t have to EARN God’s favor – in fact, I can’t! But in comparison to all He does for me every day, the least I can do is to humble myself before Him and follow His plans for my life. What about you… are you a Barney Fife for God, or are you upholding His laws?

©2008 Debbie Robus

-----------------------------------------------------

March 26 ~ Acts 1:1-11
1-5 Dear Theophilus, in the first volume of this book I wrote on everything that Jesus began to do and teach until the day he said good-bye to the apostles, the ones he had chosen through the Holy Spirit, and was taken up to heaven. After his death, he presented himself alive to them in many different settings over a period of forty days. In face-to-face meetings, he talked to them about things concerning the kingdom of God. As they met and ate meals together, he told them that they were on no account to leave Jerusalem but "must wait for what the Father promised: the promise you heard from me. John baptized in water; you will be baptized in the Holy Spirit. And soon."

6 When they were together for the last time they asked, "Master, are you going to restore the kingdom to Israel now? Is this the time?"

7-8 He told them, "You don't get to know the time. Timing is the Father's business. What you'll get is the Holy Spirit. And when the Holy Spirit comes on you, you will be able to be my witnesses in Jerusalem, all over Judea and Samaria, even to the ends of the world."

9-11 These were his last words. As they watched, he was taken up and disappeared in a cloud. They stood there, staring into the empty sky. Suddenly two men appeared—in white robes! They said, "You Galileans!—why do you just stand here looking up at an empty sky? This very Jesus who was taken up from among you to heaven will come as certainly—and mysteriously—as he left."

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

“Timing is the Father’s business.” Yeah, but… we want it NOW! We want it OUR WAY! We want things on OUR TIMELINE! How often do we set down a path that is of our own making, and we either don’t ask God what HE wants, or if we do, we don’t pay any attention to His answer? I am by nature an impatient person. I think it is in my genes. My dad was a man of action. He saw a need and he did something about it as quickly as possible. He didn’t leave tasks unfinished. My grandmother is even more this way. She will call and ask for help with something, and before I can get to her house, she has called someone else who could come a little quicker and get the task done. So this scripture has particular importance for people like me!

In some things, it wouldn’t be a terrible thing if I forge ahead on my own timetable. But the danger comes in not knowing when to move and when to wait on God – and soon we aren’t waiting on Him for anything, great or small! So, when someone asks me to make a pie for a family who has lost a loved one, I’ll probably agree readily and make the pie. But if someone says, “I would like for you to come to our Bible study,” I will have to pray and ask God if He wants me to attend. If someone says, “Why don’t you skip church on Sunday and come with us to a lodge in the Ozarks for the weekend?” I have to ask God, “Are you sending me for some needed rest and time away, or is this all my doing?”

Certainly in big decisions, we must wait on God’s timing, and when things don’t work out like we want, we have to remind ourselves of this scripture passage. God’s timing may not include keeping your parents around to see you grow up, marry, and have children of your own. God’s timing may mean that He calls home a young child with lymphoma, yet he leaves an elderly woman to live in the nursing home with Alzheimer’s and not even recognize her own children. God may squeeze you out of your job and into early retirement or a different job – or he may move you to a new city and a new job, even if you aren’t wanting to go. God may not sell your house so you can buy a new or bigger one. God may seem to block your efforts to do or acquire something you want, and all of a sudden, something happens that shows you what a huge mistake that purchase or event would have been! I cannot tell you how many times I have looked back at past events and clearly seen God’s hand in the timing.

As this passage tells us, the Holy Spirit is with us to see us through whatever God brings our way. We are never left alone. Knowing this, we can relax and listen for God’s voice and trust His timing in all things, from the smallest issue to the largest. So I tell you with confidence and experience to pray about EVERYTHING. Be sure that you are using God’s watch and not your own. Timing truly IS the Father’s business… and His timing is always perfect!

©2008 Debbie Robus

--------------------------------------------------

March 25 - Matthew 28:18-20
Jesus, undeterred, went right ahead and gave his charge: "God authorized and commanded me to commission you: Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

You have probably heard this passage a zillion times. It is commonly referred to as “The Great Commission.” We all learn early in our Sunday School or Vacation Bible School careers to “go into the world and baptize all nations.” Some interpret this as instruction to become missionaries around the world. Others feel it is a command to witness to everyone you meet, everywhere you go. And it is all of that – and more.

Do you remember when you were a little kid, and an adult would show you how to do something, and then they would say, “Now you do it!” Sometimes they stayed with you until you got the hang of it, but in the end, they taught you to do things, and then they left! The sentence I want us to focus on today is the last one. Jesus says, “I’ll be with you as you do this…” He didn’t say, “Okay, I’m done here – you’re on your own – now go do what I told you to do.” Sometimes we need to be able to turn to someone and say, “Is this okay? Is this really how to do this? Am I doing it right?” And even in our Christian service, we sometimes need to ask Jesus, “Is this okay? Am I doing it right? Can you help me with this?” And you know what? He IS there! He WILL answer and help you.

Man! This is FANTASTIC news, isn’t it? It makes all the difference! Knowing that Jesus is with us, we can confidently “go into the world” and teach others about Him. We can spread the Gospel and fulfill “The Great Commission,” and we can know that Jesus Himself is right there beside us. There is no way we can fail. There is no way He will let us even wobble, if we remember WHO is beside us. So “go into the world” with bold confidence, and share Jesus with everyone you meet, every day of your life. Help others to find their way to Jesus and make Him THEIR constant companion every day as well. And if you have a question, ask Jesus to give you a “refresher course” and set you on the right path again.

©2008 Debbie Robus

-----------------------------------------------------

March 24 ~ Matthew 28:16-17
Meanwhile, the eleven disciples were on their way to Galilee, headed for the mountain Jesus had set for their reunion. The moment they saw him they worshiped him. Some, though, held back, not sure about worship, about risking themselves totally.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Isn’t that just like Christians?! We want so badly to believe the teachings and promises of Jesus, but there is something in us that quite often nags at us to doubt. Last week our church had Maundy Thursday service before Easter Sunday. According to an explanation at www.umc.org “The word Maundy comes from the Latin mandatum, which means "commandment." The traditional Maundy Thursday service includes Holy Communion and a commemoration of Jesus’ commandment that the bread and wine represent His body and blood, shed for us, and that we are to remember these sacrifices and do all we can to live for Him. In some churches, Maundy Thursday service includes foot washing, which was customary in the days when Jesus walked among us. In fact, Jesus Himself washed His disciples’ feet.

At our Maundy Thursday service this year, we heard beautiful music and singing about the crucifixion and resurrection. We saw the crucifixion simulated in a liturgical dance. We shared Holy Communion. We heard the “Easter scriptures” read by twelve people who reminded us how those passages related to our everyday lives, and then they each snuffed out a candle before exiting the sanctuary. By the time the last person left, the sanctuary was completely dark, and attendees left in total silence.

So what does this have to do with doubt and risking yourself totally? Those who planned this Maundy Thursday service (and others I have attended over the years) did an excellent job of creating an atmosphere where the Holy Spirit truly was present. Jesus was THERE on Thursday night! Some of those in attendance probably doubt that, but I know He was THERE! And He helped us to truly feel as if WE were there the night of the “Lord’s Supper” in the “Upper Room,” as described in scripture. By the end of the one-hour service, it was easy for many of us to feel the agony and sorrow of that supper. It was easy to envision the heartache and total dread that gripped Jesus later that night as He went to the garden to pray, knowing the horrible abuses He would soon suffer.

As people exited the sanctuary that night, many of us held back. We stayed in part because we were rehearsing for Easter Sunday afterward, but there was another reason. Many of us were moved by the moment – and by Jesus’ presence. We were reduced to tears, as we thought about what this all meant for us… the incredibly HUGE sacrifices Christ made for us on the cross. As we quietly began to move toward one another, I couldn’t help but feel it was much like being at the funeral visitation of a close friend or family member. We exchanged quiet smiles, hugs of encouragement, and a simple, friendly squeeze of the hand. For awhile I sat with band members, friends, and my pastor, and we silently meditated on Jesus. I shared hugs with my Associate Pastor and friends from the Emmaus community in quiet understanding of what we were experiencing. We knew what the other felt in that moment… and we KNEW Jesus was there.

I wish I could say that EVERY moment of the day is as profound as that. I wish I could say that I am that certain always of Jesus’ presence. The fault is mine, not His… because He truly IS with me always – I am the one with doubts. What about you? Do you feel Jesus’ presence in your daily life, and are you certain it is Him? Or do you doubt more often than you believe? I encourage you to spend quiet time in thought and prayer, calling Him to you, listening and looking for His presence in your daily life. The GOOD NEWS is that Jesus didn’t stay in the tomb… He rose and lives among us even now. Don’t hold back! Don’t doubt His presence! Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you! [James 4:8 KJV, paraphrased]

©2008 Debbie Robus

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 23 ~ Matthew 5:48
"In a word, what I'm saying is, Grow up. You're kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you."

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

I heard an evangelist once describe us as “heirs to the Kingdom of God.” He said that makes us “princes and princesses!” But quite often, he said, we act more like the dogs who beg for scraps at the dinner table – crawling around on the floor picking up whatever we can.

I don’t know about you, but given the choice between being a dog who begs for scraps and a princess – the daughter of the King of Kings – I think I will take a seat at God’s table and eat like royalty!

Does this mean I will be arrogant and “lord it over” others? Does this mean I will look down on those who sin and don’t live a Godly life? Does this mean I will pass judgment on others and decide who is living for Jesus and who is not? The answer to all of these questions is “No! Absolutely not!” If we are going to talk about undeserving people here, we would have to include ourselves, because certainly we are not worthy to sit at God’s table as His heirs and royalty.

So, if we want to be like our Father, we have to act in grace and mercy toward other people. Someone told me that she calls this “loving the unlovely.” I like that! It’s not that any of us are “unloveable” – but our behavior is often “unlovely.” And yet God loves us anyway. So how can we do any less for others. I’m sitting at the King’s table… are you?


©2008 Debbie Robus


----------------------------------------------------------------

March 22 ~ Matthew 5:43-47
"Then he said, 'The God of our ancestors has handpicked you to be briefed on his plan of action. You've actually seen the Righteous Innocent and heard him speak. You are to be a key witness to everyone you meet of what you've seen and heard. So what are you waiting for? Get up and get yourself baptized, scrubbed clean of those sins and personally acquainted with God.'”

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Other translations of this passage include the phrase, “love your enemies.” Jesus tells us that rather than love our neighbors and hate our enemies, we should pray for those who mistreat us and love our enemies. We are all God’s children, and God has called us to “love one another” and that means EVERYONE, not just those who are nice to us and love us.

I don’t want to believe I truly have “enemies,” but in my life, I have encountered people who did not have my best interest at heart. They were out to get what they wanted for themselves, and if that came at the expense of others, so be it. They were hard to love! But more than once, my husband and I have both had other people say to us, “I saw how you handled So-and-So, and I was so impressed. You had every right to be so mad and say unkind things, but you never did.” I’m telling you, other people are watching us!

And that is what Jesus is saying in this passage… others ARE watching, and they are expecting to see Him in our actions and behavior. They are expecting to see love, grace, mercy, and kindness. They are expecting to see someone who emulates Jesus Christ, and quite honestly, some are expecting to be able to trip you up! Don’t let them! Don’t give Satan any victory here. Be a key witness to everyone you meet… let them see Jesus in your words and actions… and reactions! You are a child of the Most High God… now act like one!

©2008 Debbie Robus

No comments: