Are You Serving or Being Served? - Week 4

April 26 ~ 1 Thessalonians 1: 7
Do you know that all over the provinces of both Macedonia and Achaia believers look up to you? The word has gotten around. Your lives are echoing the Master's Word, not only in the provinces but all over the place. The news of your faith in God is out. We don't even have to say anything anymore—you're the message! People come up and tell us how you received us with open arms, how you deserted the dead idols of your old life so you could embrace and serve God, the true God. They marvel at how expectantly you await the arrival of his Son, whom he raised from the dead—Jesus, who rescued us from certain doom.


(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

I want to focus today on one sentence in particular… “We don’t even have to say anything anymore – you’re the message!” Sit a minute and let that soak in… realize what a hugely profound statement this is! Do you know people who live in such a way that THEY are the Message of Christ? Do you know people who have seemingly deserted all of their old ways and begun embracing service to God in all areas of their life?

I heard a really great example of this a few months ago. A dear Christian friend of mine said to me…”I used to sing karaoke on Saturday night… and now I sing for Jesus on Sunday mornings instead!” That was huge to me, because I know how much this person loves Jesus and how earnestly she serves Him in every area of her life. There is nothing wrong with karaoke, and I am quite certain that this woman was not shameful or disgraceful in her behavior in her “old” life. But I KNOW for certain where her loyalties lie now. She truly IS the message of Christ in everything she says and does. There might have been room for someone to question the “old” person’s faith, but there is NO doubt about the new one!

What about you? How are you living? Do people see the message of Christ in you each day? Or do they need a magnifying glass or microscope to find it? Have you deserted the dead idols of your old life and embraced service to God? If your answer is anything less than a whole-hearted “Yes,” what’s keeping you from it? I pray today that you will ask God to help you figure this out. Ask God to give you whatever you need to make the change, so that the word will get around that YOU are “the real deal” for Jesus – and then live His message every day!


©2008 Debbie Robus

------------------------------------------------------------------

April 25 ~ Colossians 4:1
And masters, treat your servants considerately. Be fair with them. Don't forget for a minute that you, too, serve a Master—God in heaven.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

My friend Philip tells a story about a friend of his who waited tables at a restaurant in a fairly large community. Every Sunday, a quite large group of church-goers came in and ate at this restaurant. Philip’s friend was almost always was assigned to this particular table. It was no secret that these people attended a local church and were considered to be respected Christians. However, Sunday after Sunday, this entire group of "respectable church-going Christians" left the poor waitress NO tip! This young woman who was trying to give good service and earn a decent wage (of which her tips were a big part) got nothing from a group who should have been among some of the most generous givers!

Are you like this? Do you treat those in service positions as your slaves? Do you make demands of your wait staff, salespeople, or others you employ? Do you take the attitude that “I am paying you for this, so it better be good!”? Are you rude or impolite – or worse yet, condescending – to those who serve you in some way? Remember Colossians 4:1 – remember that YOU serve Jesus. What if He treated you this way? How would you feel? Would you desire an intimate relationship with Him? Would you even want to follow Him?

Even though the concept of “you get as good as you give” applies here when you consider how you treat those in service positions, a more important motivation for kindness is in play. The better way to look at this is to ask, “how would I want to be treated in this situation?” and “how would I want Jesus to treat ME?” When you go out to eat, check out at the grocery line, get help in the store at the mall, buy your stamps at the post office, or get cash at the bank, remember Colossians 4:1, and remember that you, too are a servant… and treat others accordingly!

©2008 Debbie Robus

-------------------------------------------------------------

April 24 ~ Colossians 1:24
I want you to know how glad I am that it's me sitting here in this jail and not you. There's a lot of suffering to be entered into in this world—the kind of suffering Christ takes on. I welcome the chance to take my share in the church's part of that suffering. When I became a servant in this church, I experienced this suffering as a sheer gift, God's way of helping me serve you, laying out the whole truth.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Can you imagine saying you are “glad to suffer?” As one of my friends says, “that ain’t right!” But think about this. Because of some of the things that have happened in my life, I am able to relate to others going through the same thing. Just recently, a former neighbor lost his mother to cancer. I happened (or did God send me?!) to end up in my old neighborhood the day before this woman died, and I visited with my neighbor. In the course of the conversation, as he poured out his heart over the agony of watching his mother “literally melt away,” I said, “I know” – because I have watched my brother, my cousin, and others do the same thing – and he looked up and said, “you DO know!” This realization on his part assured him that I was not just giving lip service to his grief. I truly did understand and share it.

Now the “Losing a Loved One Club” is not one to which anybody wants to belong. BUT… sadness and grief DO come… God does allow it… and I believe He does this to help us grow in our witness and service. Maybe your parents went through a messy divorce, and you are able to encourage one of your friends who is experiencing the same thing. Maybe you have a chronic illness that gives you empathy – and sympathy – for those who are chronically ill.

Last year I broke my foot and was unable to walk for about 10 weeks. During that time I had several experiences in major department stores with wheelchairs and scooters. Never again will I look at anyone using one of these devices with the same “eyes.” God used this experience to give me incredible, life-changing insight into people who are handicapped or incapacitated in some manner – and how we as a society treat them. And honestly, I thank God for that experience!

God may also be allowing you to suffer in Spiritual matters. Your family and friends may feel you are “crazy” or a “Jesus freak” and even make fun of you or disown you. But “suffering” for Jesus is an amazing privilege. I’m not saying it is easy or pleasant, necessarily, but when you consider what Jesus has done for us, any “grief” we are dealt in His name is an incredible honor. So how are you doing? Are you “suffering for Jesus”? And are you glad?

©2008 Debbie Robus


-----------------------------------------------------

April 23 ~ Philippians 1:18
So how am I to respond? I've decided that I really don't care about their motives, whether mixed, bad, or indifferent. Every time one of them opens his mouth, Christ is proclaimed, so I just cheer them on! And I'm going to keep that celebration going because I know how it's going to turn out. Through your faithful prayers and the generous response of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, everything he wants to do in and through me will be done. I can hardly wait to continue on my course. I don't expect to be embarrassed in the least. On the contrary, everything happening to me in this jail only serves to make Christ more accurately known, regardless of whether I live or die. They didn't shut me up; they gave me a pulpit! Alive, I'm Christ's messenger; dead, I'm his bounty. Life versus even more life! I can't lose.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)


Have you noticed how many televangelists there are these days? They are everywhere! I used to subscribe to a magazine called Charisma and it was chocked full of ads for this “prophet’s” book or that “apostle’s” conference. Evangelism is now big business! And with this surge in the “business” of preaching the Gospel has come a good deal of corruption.

So, should we “throw the baby out with the bathwater” and denounce all evangelists as money-grubbers and egotists who are out for themselves? Believe it or not, even some of the ones deemed the “worst in the business” ARE winning souls to Christ and preaching the Gospel. I guess it’s sort of a “do as I say, not as I do” mentality – even if subconsciously. And there ARE a few who are so slick that they appear almost slimy to me, and I just cannot watch or listen to them. But others may not perceive them this way at all, and God may use these persons to speak to countless unbelievers who are drawn to their message.

Don’t miss this… even in the midst of what can sometimes be a disgusting “preaching for profit”, God is still in control. Inroads are being made. People are being reached for Jesus. I have to tell you, my own Spiritual renewal and awakening began a decade ago because God used a televangelist to reach me. I was drawn to the programs and could not stop watching. I tried to change the channel, but I would drift back time and again until the Word spoke to me so profoundly that I stayed and studied – and grew! I now try to look past the fact that this particular minister has a Bentley, a Rolls Royce, a Rolex, and a jet. I focus on the Word he teaches each week and how God uses him to interpret its meaning and how to apply the scriptures to my daily living. I pray for this man and his ministry - and for God’s blessings upon it… but I don’t send him money or become his “partner!”

Nobody knows why God calls who He calls to preach the Gospel. Nobody knows how God can use certain people in spite of themselves. But you know what? I will be the first to tell you that I am not perfect, and yet I believe God uses ME. I believe He can use each of us - warts, blemishes and faults notwithstanding. He is calling each of us to serve. Will you answer and do your part?


©2008 Debbie Robus

--------------------------------------------------------------------

April 22 ~ Galatians 5:13
It is absolutely clear that God has called you to a free life. Just make sure that you don't use this freedom as an excuse to do whatever you want to do and destroy your freedom. Rather, use your freedom to serve one another in love; that's how freedom grows. For everything we know about God's Word is summed up in a single sentence: Love others as you love yourself. That's an act of true freedom. If you bite and ravage each other, watch out—in no time at all you will be annihilating each other, and where will your precious freedom be then?

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)


Have you ever had a problem or issue that pestered you night and day? You couldn’t stop thinking about it, worrying about it, wondering how to resolve the issue. And once the answer came and you released this bothersome thing, you felt incredible freedom and peace! You felt like a huge plank had been removed from your shoulders. It may be a relationship that is going sour. It may be a project you have been working for days/weeks to complete. It may be something you said or did that caused conflict with someone else. But once it is released, you feel freer than you have felt in a long, long time.

That’s how it is with surrendering to God and serving Him. It’s not work… it is freedom! When you focus on serving God in everything you say and do… giving everyone the same treatment you would want for yourself… you are incredibly free. How is that? Partly, the freedom comes in knowing you don’t have to worry about whether you are doing the right thing – you KNOW you are! Partly it comes in knowing that GOD is in control – not you!

As the passage reminds us – this is not a license to do whatever we please. It isn’t that kind of freedom. It is a freedom to serve God with our whole heart and being. We don’t have to judge, condemn, rectify, referee, or “fix” things. As a “fixer,” that one is HUGE for me! All we have to do is love others as we love ourselves, and God will step in and fill the gap. “Free at last, free at last” – are YOU serving God freely today?


©2008 Debbie Robus


--------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 21 ~ 1 Corinthians 10:29
But, except for these special cases, I'm not going to walk around on eggshells worrying about what small-minded people might say; I'm going to stride free and easy, knowing what our large-minded Master has already said. If I eat what is served to me, grateful to God for what is on the table, how can I worry about what someone will say? I thanked God for it and he blessed it!

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)


A few days ago we talked about “harmless fun” and the negative impact it could have on us as Christians – and on our witness to unbelievers. This passage addresses our witness in a different way. Let’s say we feel strongly that drinking is sinful. Let’s say we make no bones about how we feel… in fact, we are pretty vocal about it. We pretty much refuse to have anything to do with anyone who drinks. We wear our faith like a flashing neon sign that says, “I’m a Christian and this is the Christian way, and I’m really good at spotting sin and sinners!” So, if someone expresses a political or social view that is not yours, and you immediately take him/her to task for it and try to force your own view (which you feel is the Christian view) on them, how does that serve God?

How many unbelievers are going to be drawn to Christ by your attitude? Hear me… I am in no way saying we should not be bold in our faith and/or stand up for our beliefs and Christian values. But if we refuse to associate with those who do not believe as we do… if we openly condemn others for what we believe to be their sins – if we label them as heathens and heretics and murderers, liars and thieves, we run a huge risk of sending them running toward the devil instead of turning to Christ. I can’t tell you how many people I know today who refuse to darken the doors of the church because of people who have made them feel so badly that they do not believe there is any hope for them in church. They honestly feel that they have screwed up so badly that there is no way Jesus would ever forgive them… and quite frankly, we Christians often contribute to this mindset!

So if your friend tells you he/she is practicing witchcraft, you don’t have to participate in any rituals or do anything that runs counter to your own beliefs. But you need to choose your approach toward that person carefully. You don’t have to worry that others will assume you are “guilty by association.” Go ahead and share time with that person, just as Jesus walked among harlots and thieves and liars and those who had done unspeakable things. Live by Christian example, not verbal or physical condemnation.

Years ago, I taught under a principal who really managed poorly. He did rather screwy things and was wishy-washy and honestly didn’t always support his teachers. This was pretty well known around the school district, and this man was the brunt of more than one joke or snide comment because of it. One day I was traveling to a conference with an administrator, and he said, “You know, I’ve heard things and seen things about how this man works, and I know it has been rough for you and your co-workers. But I have never heard you publicly say one negative or unkind thing about this man. That has really impressed me.” Now, I have to admit, that took me by surprise, because I had thought plenty and said some! But I learned that day that others ARE watching to see how we behave and how we treat others, and they will judge what it means to be a Christian by our example. Be the hands and feet of Jesus, just as He did. Love others – ALL others ALL the time – knowing that God will bless your efforts and you will be serving HIM.

©2008 Debbie Robus
-------------------------------------------------------------

April 20 ~ 1 Corinthians 10:6
The same thing could happen to us. We must be on guard so that we never get caught up in wanting our own way as they did. And we must not turn our religion into a circus as they did—"First the people partied, then they threw a dance." We must not be sexually promiscuous—they paid for that, remember, with 23,000 deaths in one day! We must never try to get Christ to serve us instead of us serving him; they tried it, and God launched an epidemic of poisonous snakes. We must be careful not to stir up discontent; discontent destroyed them.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)


As a society, it seems we are never satisfied. We get a great job, a comfortable house, a serviceable car, a family, possibly children… and it’s just not enough. We want a bigger house, a nicer car, kids who don’t complain and a wife or husband that is more attractive. We want a better job with more pay and benefits. We want big vacations, fancy clothes, great meals at nice restaurants… and oh yeah, a boat and a summer home! Where does it end?


The Bible plainly tells us in this passage that we get so caught up in wanting our own way… in material things AND the Spiritual arena… that we “turn our lives and our religion into a circus!” It does seem that way sometimes, doesn’t it? Spiritually, we want this one or that one to come to church and “be Spiritual” like we feel we are. Or, we want the church to play all contemporary music and leave the hymns in the past with the “old church.” We prefer videos and online messaging and everything fast and flashy and up-to-the-minute, and in the frenzy we often forget the heart of the Word… the message at the core of God’s love, grace and mercy over us.

So stay on guard. Remember that we are to serve Christ, not the other way around. Do not stir up discontent – yours OR God’s!

©2008 Debbie Robus





No comments: