Studies from the Psalms

September 7 ~ Psalm 30
1 I give you all the credit, God— you got me out of that mess,
you didn't let my foes gloat.

2-3 God, my God, I yelled for help
and you put me together.
God, you pulled me out of the grave,
gave me another chance at life
when I was down-and-out.

4-5 All you saints! Sing your hearts out to God!
Thank him to his face!
He gets angry once in a while, but across
a lifetime there is only love.
The nights of crying your eyes out
give way to days of laughter.

6-7 When things were going great
I crowed, "I've got it made.
I'm God's favorite.
He made me king of the mountain."
Then you looked the other way
and I fell to pieces.

8-10 I called out to you, God;
I laid my case before you:
"Can you sell me for a profit when I'm dead?
auction me off at a cemetery yard sale?
When I'm 'dust to dust' my songs
and stories of you won't sell.
So listen! and be kind!
Help me out of this!"

11-12 You did it: you changed wild lament
into whirling dance;
You ripped off my black mourning band
and decked me with wildflowers.
I'm about to burst with song;
I can't keep quiet about you.
God, my God,
I can't thank you enough.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Have you ever been deliriously happy? You know… the feeling that you want to just dance and sing and shout – a feeling like your heart might burst through your chest? Maybe it was the winning of a big game in which your team was the underdog or the battle was hard fought. Maybe you were the winner in a beauty contest or talent competition – think of those who have been selected for “American Idol” and how emotional they become when they hear the news. Maybe you are recalling your wedding day or the birth of your children. For each of us, what moves us to sheer joy of this magnitude is different.

Let me ask you something… when you thought of these events, did anything related to your relationship with Jesus come to mind? Why is that? Why are we so often not joyful to this extent over things that, quite honestly, matter the most? Why did we (and I include myself here) not mention first and foremost the moment we gave our heart to Christ? Why didn’t leading another to Jesus come to mind for us?

It’s a little skewed, isn’t it? We can recall moments of tremendous joy over a Super Bowl, Final Four, or “American Idol,” but events that will seal our eternity in Heaven and determine the “stars in our crown” are not on our radar screen. We can recall moments of tremendous sadness – the “weeping that comes for a night” – illness, death, loss, natural disasters and more – yet when was the last time we actually wept over the crucifixion of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? When was the last time we mourned over sin and cried out to God for His healing power?

The psalmist David had it right – he wasn’t perfect, but in this instance, he had his priorities straight. We’ve veered so far off track it’s not even funny. We’ve lost our focus, and now, many times we mourn and celebrate the most insignificant of things. It’s time for a “radar check,” don’t you think? It’s time we remember Who brought us to this point and Who is in charge of our destiny. And it’s time we celebrated the things of God, mourned the losses that matter for eternity, and thank Him for bringing us through it all. I’m ready for a “Extreme Makeover” of my priorities – are you?


©2008 Debbie Robus

--------------------------------------------------------------------

September 6 ~ Psalm 27
1 Light, space, zest— that's God!
So, with him on my side I'm fearless, afraid of no one and nothing.

2 When vandal hordes ride down ready to eat me alive,
Those bullies and toughs fall flat on their faces.

3 When besieged, I'm calm as a baby.
When all hell breaks loose, I'm collected and cool.

4 I'm asking God for one thing, only one thing:
To live with him in his house my whole life long.
I'll contemplate his beauty; I'll study at his feet.

5 That's the only quiet, secure place in a noisy world,
The perfect getaway, far from the buzz of traffic.

6 God holds me head and shoulders above all who try to pull me down.
I'm headed for his place to offer anthems that will raise the roof!
Already I'm singing God-songs; I'm making music to God.

7-9 Listen, God, I'm calling at the top of my lungs:
"Be good to me! Answer me!"
When my heart whispered, "Seek God," my whole being replied,
"I'm seeking him!" Don't hide from me now!

9-10 You've always been right there for me; don't turn your back on me now.
Don't throw me out, don't abandon me; you've always kept the door open.
My father and mother walked out and left me, but God took me in.

11-12 Point me down your highway, God; direct me along a well-lighted street;
show my enemies whose side you're on.
Don't throw me to the dogs, those liars who are out to get me,
filling the air with their threats.

13-14 I'm sure now I'll see God's goodness in the exuberant earth.
Stay with God! Take heart. Don't quit.
I'll say it again: Stay with God.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Have you ever felt like someone turned their back on you? It hurts, doesn’t it? Maybe it was a parent, maybe it was a relative or a dear friend. Maybe it was a coworker. Sometimes you know what happened to cause the split… sometimes you don’t, and either way, it can be agonizing. You may feel like your heart will literally break into two pieces. Can I tell you something? As painful and sad as this situation may be, there is Someone who will NEVER abandon you or turn His back on you.

No matter how bad things may seem, God will still be with you, sharing His goodness, lighting your way, protecting you from those who would hurt you - giving you strength and courage and joy for another day. Even when we feel things are never going to be the same – when everything from the buzz of traffic to the abandonment by someone we love begins to weigh us down – God’s goodness is still evident all around us.

Remember the last verses of this Psalm. Stay with God! Take heart. Don’t quit – God has always been right there for you… He will never abandon you – don’t abandon HIM! Take heart – don’t quit – STAY WITH GOD!


©2008 Debbie Robus

-------------------------------------------------------------------

September 5 ~ Psalm 24
1-2 God claims Earth and everything in it, God claims World and all who live on it.
He built it on Ocean foundations, laid it out on River girders.

3-4 Who can climb Mount God? Who can scale the holy north-face?
Only the clean-handed, only the pure-hearted;
Men who won't cheat, women who won't seduce.

5-6 God is at their side; with God's help they make it.
This, Jacob, is what happens to God-seekers, God-questers.

7 Wake up, you sleepyhead city! Wake up, you sleepyhead people!
King-Glory is ready to enter.

8 Who is this King-Glory? God, armed and battle-ready.

9 Wake up, you sleepyhead city! Wake up, you sleepyhead people!
King-Glory is ready to enter.

10 Who is this King-Glory? God-of-the-Angel-Armies:
he is King-Glory.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

If parts of this Psalm sound familiar, it may be because we sing a song at church based on these words. “Who is this King of Glory? The Lord, strong and mighty!” Do we stop to consider the strength of God? Do we think of Him in terms of being armed and battle-ready to take on Satan? We talk often of Satan’s army standing ready to try to defeat us, but do we remember that God has an even bigger army of angels battle-ready to avenge the devil’s attempts?

Recently, a national event occurred that caused me to feel incredibly uneasy. I prayed for several days prior to this event that God would surround those involved and provide protection against evil forces. I asked that He surround every person involved with heavenly protection, and that any acts of evil or harm would be diverted. I’m serious when I tell you that I prayed long and hard over this situation.

As I watched this national event unfold on television, I know it sounds crazy, but I could almost hear a roar overhead. I could sense that God had indeed covered those involved with a host of angels who were sounding the warning to Satan and any who would do his bidding to back off! I can’t say I was able to totally relax, but I did feel so much more relieved and comforted. I KNEW that God was in control. I knew He was armed and ready… and I gave prayers of thanks and praise to the King of Glory for His protection.

The God of the universe – the God who protected a national event, stands ready to call upon His angel army to protect us in any and every battle with the devil and his agents. We need to realize that God is always with us – ready to enter into battle on our behalf – and we must never hesitate to call upon Him to help us. Nothing is too great or too small for our God! “Who is this King of Glory? The Lord strong and mighty!” Remember to call on Him – and to praise Him for answering!

©2008 Debbie Robus
----------------------------------------------------------

September 4 ~ Psalm 23
1-3 God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing.
You have bedded me down in lush meadows,
you find me quiet pools to drink from.
True to your word, you let me catch my breath
and send me in the right direction.

4 Even when the way goes through Death Valley,
I'm not afraid when you walk at my side.
Your trusty shepherd's crook makes me feel secure.

5 You serve me a six-course dinner right in front of my enemies.
You revive my drooping head; my cup brims with blessing.

6 Your beauty and love chase after me every day of my life.
I'm back home in the house of God for the rest of my life.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Last year a group of college students and I studied several Psalms using a book by Charles Swindoll, Living Beyond the Daily Grind. In the study of Psalm 23, Swindoll explained several things about a shepherd and his sheep, and we gained a lot of insight into how God, our Great Shepherd, cares for us. Surely we can take comfort in the first lines of this Psalm, knowing that with God as our Shepherd, we really don’t need a thing.

Did you know that sometimes when a sheep will not stop wandering, the shepherd has to break its leg and carry it until the leg heals in order to teach it not to stray? Isn’t that just what happens to us sometimes? We wander away so often that God allows some pretty drastic things to happen to us, and then He uses them to get our attention! But the best part of this is that, just like a shepherd, God then carries us in His arms until we heal and learn our lesson. God loves us and knows each of us as surely as a shepherd knows his flock – even better! And He will never leave us… even when we face challenges, enemies, or even death.

I don’t know about you, but when I need a lift in my daily routine, I stop and pray the first few lines of this Psalm… “The Lord is my Shepherd… I shall not want.” In other words, with God in control, I don’t need a thing! Now THAT is awesome news, isn’t it?!

©2008 Debbie Robus

----------------------------------------------------------------

September 3 ~ Psalm 19
1-2 God's glory is on tour in the skies, God-craft on exhibit across the horizon.
Madame Day holds classes every morning,
Professor Night lectures each evening.

3-4 Their words aren't heard,
their voices aren't recorded,
But their silence fills the earth:
unspoken truth is spoken everywhere.

4-5 God makes a huge dome
for the sun—a superdome!
The morning sun's a new husband
leaping from his honeymoon bed,
The daybreaking sun an athlete
racing to the tape.

6 That's how God's Word vaults across the skies
from sunrise to sunset,
Melting ice, scorching deserts,
warming hearts to faith.

7-9 The revelation of God is whole
and pulls our lives together.
The signposts of God are clear
and point out the right road.
The life-maps of God are right,
showing the way to joy.
The directions of God are plain
and easy on the eyes.
God's reputation is twenty-four-carat gold,
with a lifetime guarantee.
The decisions of God are accurate
down to the nth degree.

10 God's Word is better than a diamond,
better than a diamond set between emeralds.
You'll like it better than strawberries in spring,
better than red, ripe strawberries.

11-14 There's more: God's Word warns us of danger
and directs us to hidden treasure.
Otherwise how will we find our way?
Or know when we play the fool?
Clean the slate, God, so we can start the day fresh!
Keep me from stupid sins,
from thinking I can take over your work;
Then I can start this day sun-washed,
scrubbed clean of the grime of sin.
These are the words in my mouth;
these are what I chew on and pray.
Accept them when I place them
on the morning altar,
O God, my Altar-Rock,
God, Priest-of-My-Altar.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Sometimes when my husband and I travel, he will say to me, “Watch for the signs. Read some streets and numbers to me.” He knows where we are going, because he is an excellent navigator. On the other hand, I am terrible at reading maps, and I would have us lost in very short order. The lines and names on a map all seem to simply run together in a blur when I try to decipher them. If ever someone needed GPS navigation to guide them, it would be me!

When it comes to things of a Spiritual nature, I know exactly how to read the map! I know where to look, how to listen, and Who to ask if I happen to veer off course. God’s directions ARE plain and easy on the eyes. His directions are always clear and right. All I have to do is “tune in” to God and let Him show me the way. If I temporarily take a wrong turn, He not only puts me back on course, He also clears away any traces of my misdirection… He washes me clean and gives me a fresh start!

I can’t imagine trying to navigate without God. I heard someone say recently that those bumper stickers that say “God is my co-pilot” have it all wrong. God is our PILOT – or at least He should be! If He isn’t driving YOUR “car,” don’t you think it’s time He did?


©2008 Debbie Robus

-----------------------------------------------------

September 2 ~ Psalm 16
1-2 Keep me safe, O God, I've run for dear life to you.
I say to God, "Be my Lord!" Without you, nothing makes sense.

3 And these God-chosen lives all around—what splendid friends they make!

4 Don't just go shopping for a god. Gods are not for sale.
I swear I'll never treat god-names like brand-names.

5-6 My choice is you, God, first and only. And now I find I'm your choice!
You set me up with a house and yard. And then you made me your heir!

7-8 The wise counsel God gives when I'm awake
is confirmed by my sleeping heart.
Day and night I'll stick with God;
I've got a good thing going and I'm not letting go.

9-10 I'm happy from the inside out,
and from the outside in, I'm firmly formed.
You canceled my ticket to hell— that's not my destination!

11 Now you've got my feet on the life path,
all radiant from the shining of your face.
Ever since you took my hand, I'm on the right way.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Have you ever watched one of those shows before an award ceremony, such as the Oscars, Emmy’s, People’s Choice Awards, or the Grammy’s? The announcers greet the celebrities and their “dates” and one of the first questions asked is, “Who are you wearing tonight?” The clothing designer gets a huge “plug”, and should he/she be an unknown, this free publicity can catapult their creations into stardom and produce instant public demand for these designs. For days after the awards ceremony, the press goes on and on about who wore “who” and whether it “worked” or not.

In our Spiritual life, people are watching and wondering “Who” we wear. I am so glad to be able to say, like the psalmist David, that for me, there is only one “label” – only one Designer. I’m not shopping for a god who is fashionable. God Almighty – the God of the universe – is my only choice. He is my first and only. I am His choice – and His heir… destined for Heaven and not hell because of His greatness and His mercy. This is amazing, incredible, fabulous news. Because of my God, I sleep easily at night, secure in His love and redemption.

Some designers are so widely recognized that people know in an instant, “that is Armani or Sean John or Vera Wang.” When people look at me, I want them to know that MY Designer is the Most High God. “I’ve got a good thing going, and I’m not letting go!” Thanks be to God, in Whom everything makes sense!

©2008 Debbie Robus

-----------------------------------------------------------------

September 1 ~ Psalm 8
1 God, brilliant Lord, yours is a household name.

2 Nursing infants gurgle choruses about you;
toddlers shout the songs
That drown out enemy talk,
and silence atheist babble.

3-4 I look up at your macro-skies, dark and enormous,
your handmade sky-jewelry,
Moon and stars mounted in their settings.
Then I look at my micro-self and wonder,
Why do you bother with us?
Why take a second look our way?

5-8 Yet we've so narrowly missed being gods,
bright with Eden's dawn light.
You put us in charge of your handcrafted world,
repeated to us your Genesis-charge,
Made us lords of sheep and cattle,
even animals out in the wild,
Birds flying and fish swimming,
whales singing in the ocean deeps.

9 God, brilliant Lord,
your name echoes around the world.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Lately I have been reading the Psalms, and the amazing messages of comfort, encouragement, wisdom and praise seem to be just what I need when I need it. As fall approaches and the seasons change, I want to take several weeks and study selected Psalms and see what God will say to us through them. While The Message translation makes things easier to understand sometimes, there is a definite “cadence” to the Psalms in the King James Version and/or the New International Version (NIV), and I encourage you to dig a little deeper each day and re-read the passages in one of these versions. You will find phrases that are very familiar to all of us, as in this passage, where verses 3-4 say “When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?” (Scripture taken from the King James Version, 1987 printing. The KJV is public domain in the United States.)

My husband and I recently watched a really neat little docudrama,
In the Shadow of the Moon, about the Apollo space program and our country’s quest to explore the moon. Several of the astronauts from Apollo missions were interviewed, and more than one talked about how he felt as he looked back at our planet from space. These men talked about the vastness of space and how tiny the earth appeared. More than one of them gained a new perspective on how miniscule each of us is in the grand scheme of the universe.

A few years ago, a group from our church attended a Chris Tomlin concert. Together with Matt Redman and Louis Giglio, Tomlin presented his “
Indescribable Tour.” Giglio used photos from the Hubble telescope of “stars” and nebulae light years away from the tiny “blue dot” that is our earth. His point was that a God who formed these beauties also knows how many hairs are on our head. We who are seemingly insignificant in the scheme of things are the “apple of God’s eye.”

Why DOES God bother with us? Why does He love us and care so deeply about our every thought? I don’t have an answer for that, but I’m awfully glad He does, aren’t you? When you consider how magnificent, how powerful, how far-encompassing God is… even to the farthest reaches of outer space… and yet he cares for us, how can we do anything BUT glorify His name and give Him the praise He so deserves?! God’s name echoes around the world and throughout the universe, and still He loves us! WOW!!! That truly IS “indescribable!”

©2008 Debbie Robus

No comments: