Getting Organized - and Sticking to It! - Week 5

January 31 ~ Philippians 3:15-16
So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision - you'll see it yet! Now that we're on the right track, let's stay on it.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

On Sundays after church, my husband and I like to have lunch with friends, and usually we go to the hospital cafeteria. The food is great, and there are all sorts of choices. Sometimes there is even a pasta bar, where you can tell the server what you want in your dish, and he/she mixes it together and cooks it for you while you watch. In any case, you here a lot of “I’ll have this… and some of that… and a little of the other” as people make their selections. At the pasta bar, you might even hear someone say, “I’ll take a little of all of it!”

When it comes to my relationship with God and what He has on the “menu,” I want “all of it.” But I don’t want just a little – I want a LOT! And I have come to a point where I am willing to do everything He asks in order to get it! I’d be lying if I didn’t tell you I hope He doesn’t ask me to move to a Third World country or do something that involves needles and blood (i.e. become a nurse) because that’s really not how I roll… but I don’t get to choose. If I say I want a lot of ALL He is offering, I have to be willing to do whatever He asks.

I’ll be honest, there are times I clearly hear God telling me to do things even now that make me cringe. When He tells me to invite a stranger to church or to go give a friendly hug to someone who irritates me… or sometimes when He says, “You need to put that shopping cart back in the carousel and not leave it beside your car!” I feel myself tense up, and sometimes I even grumble and growl a little! But then I try to muster up the verse of a good song, like “Our God is an Awesome God,” and at least hum a little as I make my way to do what He told me to do!

See, it’s all about the goal… the prize… that day in Heaven when God reviews my life and makes note of how well (and how poorly) I did. I want there to be more checkmarks in the “plus” column than the “minus.” I want Him to say, “You did your very best to serve me with complete faith, obedience, and (hopefully) humility.” It’s not about stars in a crown or a mansion with bigger rooms… it’s about knowing I pleased my Heavenly Father. I hope I’m on the right track… and I plan to stay on it. Are you with me?

©2008 Debbie Robus

-------------------------------------------------------------------

January 30 ~ Philippians 1:27-30
Meanwhile, live in such a way that you are a credit to the Message of Christ. Let nothing in your conduct hang on whether I come or not. Your conduct must be the same whether I show up to see things for myself or hear of it from a distance. Stand united, singular in vision, contending for people's trust in the Message, the good news, not flinching or dodging in the slightest before the opposition. Your courage and unity will show them what they're up against: defeat for them, victory for you - and both because of God. There's far more to this life than trusting in Christ. There's also suffering for him. And the suffering is as much a gift as the trusting. You're involved in the same kind of struggle you saw me go through, on which you are now getting an updated report in this letter.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)


How many times do we do or say things we shouldn’t because we think nobody is watching or listening? Nobody will know… right? Paul is telling us that it DOES matter! He is saying that whether anyone is around to notice or not… GOD notices. And after all He has done for us, we owe him our best conduct – at all times!

Suffering for Christ is an interesting concept, isn’t it? Christ’s suffering for us is obvious, but HOW do we suffer for HIM? When you don’t want to party and drink – or gamble – or you won’t lie and cheat for your boss and someone says, "I can’t hang out with you any more – you bring me down," that is suffering for Christ. When you can’t go somewhere with a friend or loved one because you have already made plans to attend church or a church function, that is suffering for Christ. When you would rather be all alone – and lonely – rather than hang out with a crowd who is into sinful behaviors and attitudes… THAT is suffering for Christ.

When you are willing to stand up and be counted and speak the Word of God, even when your sentiments are not shared and people mock you or even verbally attack you – THAT is suffering for Christ. When Christians are willing to literally lay down their life – on whatever mission field they occupy – in order to share the Gospel, THAT is suffering for Christ. And Paul is telling us that when we "suffer for Christ," we are receiving a gift. We are being allowed to share – on a very small scale – in the struggles that Jesus endured on our behalf. We are being given a tiny glimpse of what He did for us. Hopefully, this helps us to trust even more – and to want to serve God better and to conduct ourselves impeccably.

So how are we doing? Are we a credit to the Message of Christ? What can we do to improve?


©2008 Debbie Robus

---------------------------------------

January 29 ~ Philippians 1:3-6
Every time you cross my mind, I break out in exclamations of thanks to God. Each exclamation is a trigger to prayer. I find myself praying for you with a glad heart. I am so pleased that you have continued on in this with us, believing and proclaiming God's Message, from the day you heard it right up to the present. There has never been the slightest doubt in my mind that the God who started this great work in you would keep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish on the very day Christ Jesus appears.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

When you think of someone, has it ever occurred to you to stop right then and pray for them? Don’t you think this is a wonderful idea? Oh, sure, you can’t spend your WHOLE DAY doing this every time you think of someone… or can you? It doesn’t have to be a 30-minute prayer? What if you passed someone in the hallway and spoke to them, and under your breath you said, "Lord please bless Joe today." Or you get an e-mail prayer request for someone who is ill, and you read their name and just say, "Father, heal Tom and grant him peace." Or maybe you are talking with someone on the phone, and when you hang up, you quietly say, "Thank you, Jesus, for my friendship with Joan."

It doesn’t have to be a huge long prayer to be effective. AND… I’m guessing that the upside of this is that you are going to get a blessing yourself. As the Apostle Paul says, you will find yourself praying with a glad heart. This could revolutionize your thinking – praying like this could change your attitude AND the tone of your whole day!

So what are you waiting for? Let’s try this for a day or two and see what happens. I’m starting now. I thank God for every remembrance of you… "Lord, please bless the person receiving this message and give them a glad heart of joy and peace in You today."


©2008 Debbie Robus

No comments: