May 2009 Devos

May 7 ~ Exodus 15:2
I'm singing my heart out to God - what a victory!
He pitched horse and rider into the sea.
God is my strength, God is my song,
and, yes! God is my salvation.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

A friend of mine recently asked me if I believed in Spiritual warfare. Actually, she asked more than that – she asked if I believed in Spiritual warfare… but she also asked me what that meant for me. My answer to her came in the form of examples… times when things were hard and I felt weak and helpless… times when I so wanted to “drive the car” (or maybe Satan told me I could?), but I knew that was the totally wrong thing to do. I know my own weakness… and I know when I am vulnerable to attack from Satan. And there is only one remedy for that – God!

See, Satan doesn’t care about us when we are in his camp. As long as he has us in his grip, he pretty well leaves us alone and lets us mess up things all by ourselves. But let us start to follow God… let us start to claim the victory of salvation through Jesus Christ, and Satan will be all over us like glue! He will send his “demons” to mess with our head and trip us up… to throw obstacles in our path that often seem completely impossible to surmount.

But God is bigger than any demon. God is so much bigger than Satan and his henchmen and pawns. Yes, there is Spiritual warfare, and yes, we are in the fights of our lives… but victory is ours because of God. HE is more than just our hero… He is EVERYTHING… our strength, our song, and yes, our salvation! With God, all things ARE possible… and that is why my heart is filled with joy and triumph over any and all obstacles. Are you with me?

©2009 Debbie Robus

---------------------------------------------------------------

May 6 ~ Hebrews 12:12-13
So don't sit around on your hands! No more dragging your feet! Clear the path for long-distance runners so no one will trip and fall, so no one will step in a hole and sprain an ankle. Help each other out. And run for it!

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

When we had the “Take the Lake 5k,” there were cars parked in the very spot where runners would need to travel as they neared the finish line. Several race volunteers began to scramble to find the owners of the cars to ask them to move before the race began. And other cars were entering the parking lot in the area where the Kidz Races were to be held. At one point, a car tried to this area, and the Kidz Race director walked up to the driver’s window and told him, “You can either drive ahead and park on the back side of the parking lot, or you can turn around and leave this area. Those are your two choices.” The young man appeared to be a little confused and upset, and he didn’t budge. But the director would not relent. She explained. “You are sitting right where small children are about to run in a race, and you cannot be here… so you can either go park on the back area, or you can turn around and leave.”

As Christians, do we do this? Do we adequately clear the path for others? Do we say, “You can pour out that drink, or you can leave, but you are under age and will not be drinking at my party,” or “You can stay at my house, but I will not lie and tell your mom you’re here while you sneak off with your friends.”? Do we tell our friends, “I am blocking you on Facebook because you are using foul language and posting inappropriate pictures, and I don’t want my other ‘friends’ to think I agree with this.”? Do we see people who are in need, but instead of sharing some of our time and energy – and God’s love – we sit idly by and shake our heads and wish things were different for them? Do we live our lives as a poor example of the Gospel for others – tripping them up and causing them to sin also?

We do need to step up – and out – and get off our hands and start living for Christ! We do need to remove the obstacles, and be bold and tell others the options. We need to show others that we refuse to be a “hole in the road” that might trip them up. Either we live for Christ, or we don’t. I am not saying we must be rude, unkind, judgmental, or hard-nosed. But we cannot compromise when it comes to sin. We may not be clearing the way for small children, but WE are all GOD’s children, and He wants us safe and well. Clear the path - get rid of the “holes in the road” – live for Christ, Who died for OUR sins!

©2009 Debbie Robus

----------------------------------------------------

May 5 ~ Hebrews 7:26-28
So now we have a high priest who perfectly fits our needs: completely holy, uncompromised by sin, with authority extending as high as God's presence in heaven itself. Unlike the other high priests, he doesn't have to offer sacrifices for his own sins every day before he can get around to us and our sins. He's done it, once and for all: offered up himself as the sacrifice. The law appoints as high priests men who are never able to get the job done right. But this intervening command of God, which came later, appoints the Son, who is absolutely, eternally perfect.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

When I was teaching, it was my responsibility to see that the children in my classroom got to the cafeteria and back safely – and that they ate their lunch while they were IN the cafeteria. It was my responsibility to see that they got into their car or on the bus safely in the afternoons. In addition to getting my own lunch, and getting myself to and from school, I had to do much of this for the children, also. Before lunch, I had to make sure that I my children all washed their hands, and before we went anywhere I had to make sure everyone had been to the restroom! It seemed like I spent a lot of my day making sure that I had protected my children and kept them safe and healthy. They were my responsibility.

In the Old Testament, the high priests not only had to offer up a sacrifice for their OWN sins, but they had to offer sacrifices for the sins of those who served them, also! Imagine if we were responsible for the sins of those around us right along with our own! Geez… we can’t even take care of ourselves much of the time, much less someone else! That is why God sent Jesus. HE took care of ALL of our sins, so we don’t have to be burdened with trying to continually offer sacrifices to God and beg His forgiveness. What a relief! What a load off our shoulders!

Caring for young children and making sure they are clean, healthy, fed and safe is one thing… carrying the burden of sin – especially that of others in addition to our own – is beyond my comprehension. I am so thankful that God recognized our weakness and gave us a Savior to redeem us. I am so grateful that children grow up and learn to care for their own meals, hygiene and safety! I am so glad that the ways of the Old Testament are gone forever… thanks to the blood of Jesus Christ… and we can give our sins to Him and know He will take care of them perfectly for us. Jesus completely and perfectly fits our needs… how awesome is THAT?!

©2009 Debbie Robus

--------------------------------------------------------------------

May 4 ~ Hebrews 4:14-16
Now that we know what we have - Jesus, this great High Priest with ready access to God - let's not let it slip through our fingers. We don't have a priest who is out of touch with our reality. He's been through weakness and testing, experienced it all - all but the sin. So let's walk right up to him and get what he is so ready to give. Take the mercy, accept the help.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

“I can do it myself!” I heard this so often when I was teaching kindergarten and working with small children. Now as I play with little great-nieces and nephews and other children in our social circle, I see their feisty independence, at times. They color all over a page, in and out of the lines, and when you make suggestions about how to stay in the lines and use a certain color, they say, “No! I can do it! I don’t need any help!” And sometimes, depending on what they are doing, help would really have been a good idea! They have to stumble – and even fall – on occasion, so that they learn that help can be a good thing!

We Christians are so like little children. In fact, the Bible likens us to children in many passages. We think we know all of the answers, and in our arrogance, we sometimes let the gifts and blessings of God fall right through our fingers. One of the worst ways we do this is to ask, “How could God let this happen to me? He just doesn’t understand!” The truth is that God DOES understand – every single thing we are experiencing… every pain and heartache we endure… every frustration and temptation. And while Jesus never sinned, He does understand our weakness. He understands that sometimes we have to fall down before He can lift us back up and set us on the right path, hopefully for good!

I know that we all cry out to God from time to time and wonder if He really, truly DOES understand us. But I know in my heart the answer to this… YES! Yes, God understands. Yes, God is merciful and waiting to help us. Yes, God is totally in touch with reality – His wisdom, grace and mercy are timeless. Do NOT let God’s blessings and mercy slip through your fingers. Walk right up to him and ask for His help!

©2009 Debbie Robus

----------------------------------------------------------

May 3 ~ 1 Thessalonians 5:13-15
Get along among yourselves, each of you doing your part. Our counsel is that you warn the freeloaders to get a move on. Gently encourage the stragglers, and reach out for the exhausted, pulling them to their feet. Be patient with each person, attentive to individual needs. And be careful that when you get on each other's nerves you don't snap at each other. Look for the best in each other, and always do your best to bring it out.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Today’s message is for all of us with “head knowledge,” but no heart. See, we can all memorize scripture. We can even learn to proclaim the Gospel to others. We can serve on committees, or we can sit back and let others do all of the work. But unless we have a heart for others, all of the knowledge of God and His love for us is pretty empty. Unless we care about each other and nurture each other, knowing about Jesus is just that… knowledge, not an “understanding.”

I know some really wonderful Christians who come across as cold, uncaring, and very impersonal. They know what God’s word says, but when it comes to sharing their faith, it’s their way or “the highway!” Does this sound like someone who would make a good witness for Jesus? I also know people who are very lazy in their faith. They go to church and study their Bible – and maybe they even sing in the choir or belong to a Sunday School class. But they are not the least bit interested in reaching out to others. They have no interest in serving on a food committee, visiting a shut-in, or even helping stack chairs after a church function. They do not “get it” that being a Christian is all about relationships… our relationship to Christ… our relationship to others… and Christ’s relationship to unbelievers THROUGH us!

I challenge you today to look around… who is hurting? Who has questions about their faith? Who needs a smile or a hug? Who needs to hear from you via e-mail or the telephone? Who have you offended and need to offer an apology? Who have you ignored? Where have YOU freeloaded? I’ve told you before, being a Christian ain’t for sissies… and it isn’t for the heartless and inattentive, either. God has done SO much for us… why on earth wouldn’t we want to reach out to others and share the joy and blessings. When my husband and I were publishing
Workamper News, employers would sometimes say in their “Help Wanted” ads… “Grumps need not apply,” or “No Grumps.” This goes for Christians, too! It’s not too late… you can start today. Start looking around and finding the best in people… and do all you can to help them reach their full potential in Christ Jesus.

©2009 Debbie Robus

----------------------------------------------------------------------

May 2 ~ 2 Corinthians 13:5-9
Test yourselves to make sure you are solid in the faith. Don't drift along taking everything for granted. Give yourselves regular checkups. You need firsthand evidence, not mere hearsay, that Jesus Christ is in you. Test it out. If you fail the test, do something about it. I hope the test won't show that we have failed. But if it comes to that, we'd rather the test showed our failure than yours. We're rooting for the truth to win out in you. We couldn't possibly do otherwise.

We don't just put up with our limitations; we celebrate them, and then go on to celebrate every strength, every triumph of the truth in you. We pray hard that it will all come together in your lives.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)


It’s the little things that will trip us. I was shopping in Wal-Mart and found an item I thought I wanted. A couple of aisles over, I found something better… and cheaper. So, should I leave the unwanted item there or return it to its original spot two aisles back? Not a hard choice, you might say… and you might even wonder, “What is the harm in leaving the unwanted item?” After all, there are employees who work those aisles and straighten up just such things, right? Wrong! The right thing to do is to always put things back where you got them… even unwanted items at Wal-Mart.

What does this have to do with being a Christian? The Bible tells us that if we are dishonest and yes – sinful – in little things, we will be even more so in bigger issues. Littering, not putting back your cart at the grocery store parking lot, being sneaky and less than forthcoming with others (even about “small” things) adds up to big trouble. And remember, everything we do to others, we do to Jesus. So God gives us opportunities to test ourselves… did we give back the extra dollar that the cashier handed us when making change - did we shortchange Jesus? Did we carry our trash to the can or toss it out the window – did we throw trash on Jesus? Did we tell our parents we have no clue how the dent got in the car door - did we lie to Jesus about that, too? Did we tell a friend we were busy and couldn’t do something with them, when we knew good and well we were going to be sitting home doing nothing important – did we make up an excuse for not spending time with Jesus, too? Did we act in a way that was indecent, unkind, dishonest, and just plain rude – did we do these things to others - AND to Jesus?

Stop and test yourself… ask, “Am I sinful and dishonest in little things? Is my behavior pleasing to God? If Jesus were here beside me, what would HE do in this situation?” The more you begin to be faithful and honest in little things like putting back your cart and that item you don’t want… giving back the extra change to the cashier and telling your friends the truth (with kindness and discretion) – the more you will feel God’s presence in your life. The more we grow, the more we know… about how God operates and how wonderful it feels to please Him. We all fall short from time to time… and when we do, we should celebrate that God points this out to us and gives us an opportunity to grow from the experience and do better. When we do the right thing, we can feel blessed that we are growing in our faith and learning to pay close attention to what pleases God. Before you know it, small triumphs can multiply, and you can be living in the abundance of God’s daily blessings – and recognizing them. It doesn’t get better than that!

©2009 Debbie Robus

------------------------------------------------------------

May 1 ~ 2 Corinthians 12:9-10
Because of the extravagance of those revelations, and so I wouldn't get a big head, I was given the gift of a handicap to keep me in constant touch with my limitations. Satan's angel did his best to get me down; what he in fact did was push me to my knees. No danger then of walking around high and mighty! At first I didn't think of it as a gift, and begged God to remove it. Three times I did that, and then he told me,

My grace is enough; it's all you need.
My strength comes into its own in your weakness.

Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness. Now I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size - abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks. I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Last week, I had to take my grandmother to Searcy for a check-up with her cardiologist. Her appointment was at 11:00 a.m., and I arrived at her house at 9:30. I had hoped we could stop at a garage sale that was taking place down on the river. I wanted to look at some items for sale there, and I knew my grandmother would enjoy visiting an area she knew well but had not seen in many years. I loaded her walker into the back seat of the car and helped her into her seat. We settled in, buckled our seat belts, and I put the key into the ignition. But the key would not turn. I tried everything…jiggling the key, double-checking to make sure the car was in “park,” and nothing helped. I said a silent prayer, “Lord, please help me – please make this key work.” And I tried again, but the key didn’t work. Talk about being frustrated!

I called my husband, and he tried to talk me through some things. Yes, I had my foot on the brake. No, the key would not turn. Yes, it was the RIGHT key! No, the steering wheel was not locked… I could turn the wheels on the vehicle. As the 10:00 hour neared, my husband suggested that he come to my grandmother’s and trade vehicles so we could get on the road. He would stay behind and try to figure out what was wrong with our car. The trip to the garage sale was obviously out of the question now. My husband arrived, we transferred ourselves, our purses and my grandmother’s walker to the other vehicle, and we headed for our appointment.

We arrived with a few minutes to spare. I phoned my husband and learned that a “fluke” had occurred with our car… something in the ignition had broken. It was nothing I had done or not done – it just happened. The car had to be towed, and at first the mechanic said it would take several days to order a replacement part – and it would cost about $800. The mechanic said this was a rare occurrence – but it did happen from time to time. I immediately started thanking God for protecting us. What I viewed as an inconvenience and a “handicap,” God used for good. Here’s how:

  • the breakdown occurred on my grandmother’s driveway in the heart of Heber Springs… not on a parking lot in Searcy or Little Rock.
  • my husband was at home and able to stop what he was doing come to our rescue.
  • our trusted mechanic was only blocks away, so the car was not towed very far. Imagine the cost to tow the car from Searcy or somewhere else out of town, like Little Rock.
  • by planning to stop at a garage sale on the way, I had allowed extra time, so we still made it to the appointment with minutes to spare.
  • my husband was able to call his mother, who lives a couple of blocks from my grandmother’s house, and bum a ride home. Had this happened out of town, we might both have been stranded and imposing upon someone to drive a great distance to retrieve us.
  • the mechanic knew someone who was able to help him fix the car without the new part, and $200+ and a few hours later, the car was back in our garage at home.

We stopped at the garage sale on our way home, and the items I wanted were still there. My grandmother enjoyed walking around the yard of the house on the river, and we even had extra time for a drive through some new riverside neighborhoods that she had never seen.

Now here’s the deal… in the scheme of things, this may seem like a fairly small incident – and it truly is. BUT…God was clearly in the details of these events. And if God is in the details of a broken ignition and can bring good out of such a seemingly insignificant situation, He can surely do great things in our lives each and every day. If God can use a vehicular breakdown to create half a dozen blessings or more, He can use our weaknesses and handicaps to bless us and others in ways we can’t even imagine.

Do you remember how I said I prayed for the key to work while I was sitting on my grandmother’s driveway? Suppose God had done this, and then the key had failed for good in Searcy! God knows what He is doing, and sometimes when we think He has not answered, it’s because WE are trying to control things – to “drive the car!” Remember: My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness. And that includes broken ignitions! What an amazing God we serve! Are you trusting Him in your “weaknesses?”

©2009 Debbie Robus

No comments: