September 2009 Devos - Week 2

September 14 ~ Matthew 6:6
When you pray, go into a room alone and close the door. Pray to your Father in private. He knows what is done in private, and he will reward you.

(Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.)

For years, I’ve wanted one of those little “Christian” fish magnets to go on your car. But at the same time, I’ve hesitated to get one. First of all, we are not big on putting anything on our cars. We sported a small Razorback decal for awhile? We have a very small Mark Martin decal on the window of one vehicle, and a decal for Workamper News on another. But we’re really not big on car “decorations.”

My other hesitation was that I know too many people who have that fish symbol on their car, but it doesn’t match their behavior… especially while driving! Could I “live up to the fish?” This summer, I was at the garage sale of a friend of mine who attends our church. In her “treasures” was a small magnetic fish for 50¢. If you know me very well, you know that I could not pass up this bargain! It was like my “sign” that I should display this fish.

Well, when I got home from my shopping, I couldn’t find the fish. I had dropped it somewhere. I dismissed it… deciding I wasn’t really supposed to have the fish - and it was only 50¢ - so it wasn’t like I had lost something really expensive. And then, my friend Cindy stopped me at church one Sunday and said, “You dropped your fish! I have it for you, but it’s in my car.” We were both hurrying in different directions, and again, I forgot about it. Until yesterday, when another friend came to me with an envelope and said, “This was left for you in the Sunday School room.” I opened the envelope… and there was the fish.

What does this have to do with praying in private? I believe Jesus is telling us about more than just prayer in this passage. He is saying, don’t just talk your faith and make a big show… live it! There is nothing wrong with praying in public. In fact, genuine prayer offered in a public setting at the right moment is powerful. Any prayer offered at any time in a spirit of humility and sincerity is welcome. But praying to make a show is not. Why do people pray over a meal in public? Are they genuinely thankful for the food and God’s blessings, or do they want Bill and Sue at the next table to see them praying and notice how “good” they are? Michael W. Smith wrote a song called “Cross of Gold” that asks “What’s your line? Tell me why you wear your cross of gold.” What does it mean? Are we trying to tell the world what a good Christian we are, or do we wear it to remind ourselves of our relationship with God?

We need to let everything we say and do be to God’s glory. We must let outward symbols of our faith be displayed to remind others of God’s amazing power, grace and mercy – not to tell them how faithful and amazing we think we are! We must all search our hearts and our motives. What does our “public display” of our faith really say? Does it honor and please God? I’ve got my fish… and I’m still debating whether to stick it on the car. I know if I display it, I will be making a statement. I just want to be sure it is the right one.

©2009 Debbie Robus



-------------------------------------------------------------------

September 13 ~ Matthew 21:13
He told them, "The Scriptures say, `My house should be called a place of worship.' But you have turned it into a place where robbers hide."

(Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.)

I know people who get all bent out of shape if someone even leans on the Communion rail at the front of the sanctuary, much less sits something atop it, like a notebook – or even worse, a coffee cup! They consider the altar rail sacred. And yes, our entire church facility should be considered sacred… to a point. We should respect our building and facilities… and we should behave with reverence and appreciation when we are there. But the building itself is not necessarily holy – or holier than anywhere else. And sometimes, by attaching too much reverence to a building, we start to worship the wrong thing in the wrong manner.

Some of you may remember when I told you about Bro. John coming to my mother’s house to have Communion with my brother before he died. It was just the two of them, my mother and me… but it was probably the most holy, sacred service of Communion in which I’ve ever participated. We didn’t need a church building or an altar rail. We sat on and around my brother’s bed, shared the bread and wine, and sang “Amazing Grace.” And in that moment, a bedroom was God’s temple.

So let’s talk about this passage. When Jesus got so upset with the men who were selling things in the temple and turned it into more of a marketplace than a church, I believe He was also referencing something much deeper. Remember, even our bodies are temples of God. So when we do things we shouldn’t with them, we become a place where the biggest robber of them all can hide… a place where Satan can hang out and work his evil deeds and try to steal our hearts. Our sanctuaries and church buildings, as meeting places for fellow believers, can become buildings that house “robbers” – in the form of people who argue, bicker, bring personal agendas, treat people unfairly or unkindly, and more – and steal the joy and faith of others.

We must guard our bodies, minds, souls – and yes, our church buildings – against becoming a place where the devil can come in and rob us of our love in Christ Jesus. We must not allow the wrong activities, attitudes and motives. We must not set ourselves up for the potential to miss out on the blessings of God or to falter in our faith. Don’t give the devil any room in your temple… wherever it may be at the moment…make sure your “house” (body, mind, soul, even your church building) is always a place of worship.

©2009 Debbie Robus

----------------------------------------------------------------------

September 12 ~ Isaiah 56:7
I will bring them to my holy mountain, where they will celebrate in my house of worship. Their sacrifices and offerings will always be welcome on my altar. Then my house will be known as a house of worship for all nations.

(Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.)

We all know that church is not the building… but what does your church mean to you? What does it mean to you to worship there on Sunday mornings? When you think of “that place,” do you get excited and look forward to returning? Is worship a celebration for you… or a chore?

I will admit, for many, many years, going to church on Sunday was a chore… at best it was a habit and a routine. And I will also admit that even after I discovered the holiness of church and the celebration of worship and coming together with my church family to praise God and study Him and hear what He had to say to us corporately, there were still times when I dreaded Sunday.

I also have to admit that the “dread” was not God’s fault… but mine. Even when things weren’t going well in the building… even when people were unhappy with one another and the “mood” seemed down or less than holy and worshipful, God was still there. I had just failed to connect with Him. I don’t know about you, but that is about the worst feeling in the whole world for me. I don’t want worship on Sunday to be an empty experience - for me… or anyone else.

I want worship – on Sunday or any day – to be a holy experience… a celebration… an offering and a sacrifice of myself before God… and a complete and uninhibited adoration and praise of Him for all He has done…and all He will do. Imagine… believers all around the world coming together in church buildings everywhere to worship ONE GOD! It’s incredible – and an amazing, holy experience to share with fellow believers. I can’t wait! So where will you be this Sunday? Will you worship at the holy mountain… and celebrate at the altar of God Almighty?

©2009 Debbie Robus

-------------------------------------------------------------------

September 11 ~ Job 1:5
After each feast, Job would send for his children and perform a ceremony, as a way of asking God to forgive them of any wrongs they may have done. He would get up early the next morning and offer a sacrifice for each of them, just in case they had sinned or silently cursed God.

(Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.)

Today many of us will stop and reflect on September 11, 2001. Some of you know that since that date, I have corresponded with the families of three firemen who lost their lives in that tragic disaster. I have prayed for them, encouraged them, and offered my love, friendship and sympathies for what they have endured.

As I read this passage, I wondered… how many mothers got up in New York City on the morning of 9-11 and prayed for their sons and daughters? How many husbands and wives prayed for each other that morning as they hurried off to work? How many parents stopped to pray for small children and to ask God to protect them throughout the day ahead? If we could see into the future and know that horrible atrocities like 9-11 were ahead of us, would it change how we pray? Shouldn’t it anyway?

Job prayed for his children “just in case.” We should pray with much the same attitude. Lord… just in case, I’m praying for my children. Lord… just in case, please protect my brothers and sisters today. Lord… just in case, please watch over my husband/wife/mother/father/friends as they go about their daily routine. Lord… just in case, please protect my President, our world leaders, our teachers, policemen, firemen, pastors, servicemen and women, and more.

Don’t misunderstand me… I don’t mean to imply that praying this way could have changed the course of 9-11. But we absolutely have no clue what each day will bring. So “just in case”… shouldn’t we pray early each morning? Have you spoken with God today?

©2009 Debbie Robus

--------------------------------------------------------------

September 10 ~ 1 Chronicles 22:11-13
Solomon, my son, I now pray that the LORD your God will be with you and keep his promise to help you build a temple for him. May he give you wisdom and knowledge, so that you can rule Israel according to his Law. If you obey the laws and teachings that the LORD gave Moses, you will be successful. Be strong and brave and don't get discouraged or be afraid of anything.

(Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.)

You know that commercial that says “Never let ‘em see you sweat!”? Each of us will face challenges in life that seem insurmountable. At best, we will wonder which way to turn. We will all honestly say at one point or another, “I don’t know what to do” and some of us will express fear.

Let’s get one thing clear here and now… there is nothing we can’t handle with God’s help! No matter how uncertain our future… no matter how confused we are or frightened or worried, God will show us how to proceed. Our job is to pay attention – to listen – to ask for His help – and to follow His lead.

Understand… I need this message as much as anyone receiving it. There are things happening in my life and in the lives of those I love this very day that are perplexing and frustrating, and yes… a little frightening. But I need to stay focused on the LORD! I need to be strong and brave, stay encouraged in Him, and know that with God’s help, I have nothing to fear. And the same is true for you. So let’s agree together to “let go and let God,” and “never let ‘em see us sweat!” With God’s help, we can conquer anything. Are you in?

©2009 Debbie Robus

--------------------------------------------------------------------

September 9 ~ 2 Samuel 12:16
So David went without eating to show his sorrow, and he begged God to make the boy well. David would not sleep on his bed, but spent each night lying on the floor.

(Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.)

Recently I was talking with someone who is going through a huge family challenge. It seems like one thing after another keeps happening to this family and the troubles are piling higher and higher. This person said to me, “I just don’t get it. It’s not like we aren’t praying, so I don’t understand why all of this keeps happening.” Without passing judgment (which is not our job!), I had to ask, “What else are you doing?”

See, prayer is a great thing. We must pray and ask God to help us with our problems. But there is so much more involved. I’m not saying God will not answer prayer unconditionally, but in the words of an old cliché, God must sometimes ask, “What have you done for me lately?” I’m not talking about bargaining here. But if you ask God to help you, and then you don’t open your Bible, spend time in worship with other Christians, seek ways to help others and “live your faith,” God’s efforts to help and bless you may be somewhat blocked.

I have to tell you, this makes me a little mad… not at people - but at Satan… because I see him at work in this. He gets us all comfortable thinking, “Okay, I prayed and gave that to God, and now I can move on with my life, and He will handle it.” Well… yes and no. The devil knows that he can lull us into a false sense of security, and in essence, nothing changes. We “give it to God,” and then we go right on living like we did before – and that’s probably part of how we ended up in such a mess! I lived my “faith” like this for many years. I understood the prayer part and “giving it to God,” but I didn’t understand my responsibility afterward. And sometimes I wondered why my prayers didn’t seem to be heard or answered.

In this scripture passage, it seems to me that David starts to “get it.” He realizes that he really blew it… he messed up badly, and simply asking God to fix things and then lying around his room wallowing in self-pity probably isn’t going to work. He begs and pleads, and in the end, God answers… but not in the way David hoped. But if you read the next part of this scripture passage, you will see that after David’s baby died, he got up, dressed, ate, and moved ahead. God had spoken, and David began to live for Him and serve Him and show others how to live a life of faith and honor – no matter their circumstances.

So what does this mean for you? When you have a problem, go to God in prayer. Ask Him to help you according to His will… and then get up and get busy living for Him. If your friends have deserted you, keep smiling and praising God, believing He will bring you new ones. If you are in debt or going through something rough, don’t hide at home… get to church and worship with fellow believers. Turn off the TV and open your Bible and see where God leads you. If you have made big mistakes, confess them to God, but don’t wallow in self-pity. Ask Him to show you how to turn things around, and meanwhile, do all you can to praise and glorify His name – to worship God and study Him. Do what you can to help others. This will encourage you in your faith AND take your mind off your troubles.

Regardless of where you are in life, or what is going on, the real question is, “What have you done for God lately?” Prayer is a great tool. But prayer without faith and a little action on our part may just keep us lying on the floor feeling pitiful.

©2009 Debbie Robus

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 8 ~ Genesis 17:18
Then he asked God, "Why not let Ishmael inherit what you have promised me?"

(Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.)

God told Abraham that his ninety-year-old wife was going to have her first baby – a son. Abraham was almost a hundred years old himself! He had a son already - Ishmael… born to one of Sarah’s slaves, Hagar. Abraham asked God to let Ishmael inherit all that God planned to give to him and be done with it. In other words, he didn’t feel that, at his age, he needed another son to inherit his wealth and blessings. But God’s plans were different!

Here we go again! We keep trying to tell God how things ought to roll! Will we ever learn? Here God sits ready to bless Abraham and Sarah… and their children and descendants for generations… and Abraham says, “But, God! I’m old! But, God! I already have a son! But, God! I already have plenty!” And God is saying, “I know this… but I want to give you more.” And He is asking, “Will you be still and pay attention and do what is necessary to get all I want to give you?

How often do we say, “God, I’m perfectly happy with my friends, where I live, my job (or classes, or volunteer work). I go to church on Sunday morning, and Wednesday night I go to SPAM (or church supper or work with a children’s group) and I’m doing just fine. Thank you for all of your blessings, but I’ve got all I need!” Or maybe when you feel God nudging you toward something outside your comfort zone, you tell Him that you read your Bible once in awhile and go to church a few Sundays a month, and things are going well in your life for the most part, thank-you-very-much!, and you pretty well dismiss Him.

Know this… there is nothing wrong with being content with what God has given you… much less feeling grateful. But there is a fine line between being content and being complacent – which means, in essence, taking God for granted. God may very well nudge us out of our comfort zone… but it may be in order to give us even more blessings in the end. It may be that God wants us to grow… and to expand our efforts to share His love with others… and to do this, we may just have to “give birth to a baby at nearly 100 years of age,” so to speak.

Where are you in this equation? Are you limiting God? Have you grown complacent and started to take His blessings for granted, if even a little? Is God trying to get you to another level of service, complete with more grace, mercy and blessings for yourself? What are you blocking… and what could you be missing? When you pray, thank God for His blessings to this point… and open your heart, mind and attitude to what He wants to give you in the future.

©2009 Debbie Robus

No comments: