Daily Devotional for June 26, 2007

Proverbs 8
1 Doth not wisdom cry? and understanding put forth her voice?
2 She standeth in the top of high places, by the way in the places of the paths.
3 She crieth at the gates, at the entry of the city, at the coming in at the doors.
4 Unto you, O men, I call; and my voice is to the sons of man.
5 O ye simple, understand wisdom: and, ye fools, be ye of an understanding heart.
6 Hear; for I will speak of excellent things; and the opening of my lips shall be right things.
7 For my mouth shall speak truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
8 All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them.
9 They are all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that find knowledge.
10 Receive my instruction, and not silver; and knowledge rather than choice gold.
11 For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.
(Scripture taken from the King James Version, 1987 printing. The KJV is public domain in the United States. To read this passage from The Message, go to
www.biblegateway.com and do a passage lookup.)

I get a lot of e-mail from friends and family, and I get a ton of group messages like one I received recently that warned me about a lady who drank a can of soda pop that was supposedly contaminated with rat urine, and she later died of leptospirosis, a potentially deadly disease caused by bacteria from the urine of diseased rodents, snakes, and even dogs and pigs. I immediately got on the Internet and went to
www.snopes.com, a great website that has information about hundreds of internet rumors and tells you whether they are true or false. I never forward on a message like this without checking snopes.com first. It is my source for “Internet wisdom” and protects me from looking foolish to others by circulating inaccurate, if not preposterous, information and stories.

In our daily living, we have our own snopes.com – the Bible. God’s word is our source of information and truth and will help us to determine if what we are seeing and hearing in our lives is the real deal or something that others (and Satan) are circulating without validation.

I encourage you to double-check Internet stories/rumors you receive at
www.snopes.com. For your daily check of the facts, consult God’s word and receive His instruction, which the Proverbs tells us is “more valuable than rubies!”

©2007 Debbie Robus

No comments: