Daily Devotional for June 27, 2007

Proverbs 8
12 I wisdom dwell with prudence, and find out knowledge of witty inventions.
13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.
14 Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom: I am understanding; I have strength.
15 By me kings reign, and princes decree justice.
16 By me princes rule, and nobles, even all the judges of the earth.
17 I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.
18 Riches and honour are with me; yea, durable riches and righteousness.
19 My fruit is better than gold, yea, than fine gold; and my revenue than choice silver.
20 I lead in the way of righteousness, in the midst of the paths of judgment:
21 That I may cause those that love me to inherit substance; and I will fill their treasures.
(Scripture taken from the King James Version, 1987 printing. The KJV is public domain in the United States. To read this passage from The Message, go to
www.biblegateway.com and do a passage lookup.)

Do you want to be rich and famous? Do you just want to have a good job, a nice family, a comfortable home and a happy life? How do you achieve these things … win the lottery? marry a rich man or woman? rob a bank?! The Proverbs tell us that Wisdom (God’s word and guidance) will help you get these things… and more! Do you want your leaders to be fair and honest? They must have Wisdom and her friend, Prudence (sanity and discretion). You’ve known political leaders who were not wise and prudent, and you’ve seen the scandals and failures of their leadership. You know religious leaders who were unwise and indiscreet, and their failings have been public, and brutally embarrassing… and terribly disappointing to those who trusted them.

So much trouble and heartache can be avoided if WE avoid pride, arrogance, and a “froward mouth” (gossip, cursing, backbiting and nasty criticism). The Proverbs tell us that God will reward those who love Him and seek His wisdom by filling their treasures. What about you… how full is your chest?

©2007 Debbie Robus

No comments: