Daily Devotionals for September 2007, Week 2

September 14 ~ 1 Kings 2:1-4
1-4 When David's time to die approached, he charged his son Solomon, saying, "I'm about to go the way of all the earth, but you—be strong; show what you're made of! Do what God tells you. Walk in the paths he shows you: Follow the life-map absolutely, keep an eye out for the signposts, his course for life set out in the revelation to Moses; then you'll get on well in whatever you do and wherever you go. Then God will confirm what he promised me when he said, 'If your sons watch their step, staying true to me heart and soul, you'll always have a successor on Israel's throne.'

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

I will never forget the night my dad died and the conversation we shared about an hour beforehand. Sprinkled in between the things we said to each other, he told me more than once, “take care of your momma.” When I told my mother this later, she said, “your daddy should not have said that!” She didn’t want me to feel responsible for her or obligated to see after her.

Quite often, in the last moments, people will say profound things to their loved ones. And many times these comments include admonishments to take care of certain things or people. I have to wonder, what if David had not offered a charge to Solomon?! What if he had not advised him to “Do what God tells you. Walk in the paths He shows you.” Hopefully Solomon would have been strong enough in his faith to do this anyway. But it surely didn’t hurt that his earthly father’s last words were to stick close to his Heavenly Father!

My dad didn’t have to tell me to take care of my mother, and he knew that. It was more a way of expressing one last time his love and concern for her and for her earthly well-being. In the same way, David was showing love and concern for Solomon – in this life and in Eternity. And if you think about it, David’s charge was not just for Solomon, but for each of us. God used David in mighty ways, and I feel certain that He gave him the words of this charge. So now it’s up to you… will you listen to David’s words and take them to heart for yourself? Will you walk in God’s paths and do what He tells you? You aren’t obligated in any way, but you are responsible for your choices and the results. So
“be strong; show what you're made of” and choose your path and Walking Companion wisely.

©2007 Debbie Robus


-----------------------------------------------------------

September 13 ~ Ruth 2:20
Naomi said to her daughter-in-law, "Why, God bless that man! God hasn't quite walked out on us after all! He still loves us, in bad times as well as good!" Naomi went on, "That man, Ruth, is one of our circle of covenant redeemers, a close relative of ours!"

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

When my grandmother and her sister were little girls of about 12 and ten, their father (my great-grandfather) walked out on the family. He had met someone else, and he moved with her to Oklahoma and started another life. My grandmother did not see her dad again until my own father was a boy of about 12. One day my great-grandfather just showed up again. We have pictures of him with my dad. He was only here a day or so, and then they didn’t see him again.

My grandmother and her sister were especially bitter about all of this for most of my life. In their later years, they mellowed somewhat, but the bitter sting of being deserted by their father never left. They told me that life before he left was fun and carefree. Theirs was a life of “little girl” activities – dolls, games, school, and fun. Afterward, they had to help their mother and older brother in the fields, planting and harvesting crops, gathering firewood… even sorting potatoes for a neighboring farmer for a few pennies a day and a bucket of potatoes for supper. The fun was gone, and they had to grow up rather quickly.

Isn’t it good news that God does not desert His children? Isn’t it wonderful to know that we never have to wonder if He is going to wander in and out of our lives. We always know where God is and how to reach Him. God DOES still love us in bad times as well as good, and that is very good news. There is a saying… “if you don’t feel close to God, guess who moved.” What about you? Is God walking beside you, or have you moved away? I encourage you to call to Him today, and I assure you, He will be there in a heartbeat!


©2007 Debbie Robus


-----------------------------------------------------

September 12 ~ Deuteronomy 5:32-33
32-33 So be very careful to act exactly as God commands you. Don't veer off to the right or the left. Walk straight down the road God commands so that you'll have a good life and live a long time in the land that you're about to possess.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Have you ever played the game “Operation?” You know the one… you have to “operate” on the little man with a pair of tweezers that are wired to the game board. If you touch the sides of the board when you try to retrieve an injured body part, i.e. a game piece, the “patient’s” nose lights up and you lose a turn. The person who successfully removes the most pieces and “earns” the most money wins the game. It’s a quirky, but fun little game, and for many of us, it is part of the fabric of our childhood.

In the “game” of life, “touching the sides” can have far more serious consequences than merely lighting up a red bulb. The Bible gives us a clear road map for “walking straight down the road God commands.” It is up to us to read The Map and pay attention. This scripture passage from Deuteronomy promises that walking straight will result in a good live and a long time in the land.

When Christ died on the cross for us, He “won the game” for us, if we will invite Him to walk with us. He will keep us on the straight path, so that not only will we have a good life on this earth, but we will experience an Eternity in His presence in Heaven. That is great news! I don’t know about you, but it makes me want to “practice with my tweezers” by reading, studying, and praying and inviting Jesus to walk with me each day, so that I am assured a place as the “winner” when this life is done. What about you? Will you be a “winner” in Christ, also?

©2007 Debbie Robus

--------------------------------------------------------------------

September 11 ~ Job 30:24-31
"What did I do to deserve this? Did I ever hit anyone who was calling for help? Haven't I wept for those who live a hard life, been heartsick over the lot of the poor? But where did it get me? I expected good but evil showed up. I looked for light but darkness fell. My stomach's in a constant churning, never settles down. Each day confronts me with more suffering. I walk under a black cloud. The sun is gone. I stand in the congregation and protest. I howl with the jackals, I hoot with the owls. I'm black-and-blue all over, burning up with fever. My fiddle plays nothing but the blues; my mouth harp wails laments."

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Poor Job! He tried so hard to follow God. And yet his life was full of suffering that he could not understand. Do you ever feel like that? Do you ever wonder, “God, I’ve tried and tried to do what you want – why is my life still so hard?” Do you ever “walk under a black cloud?”

I am here to tell you that God did not put you under that cloud. He does not want you to suffer. He may use your misfortune to show you how to strengthen your faith, but He will never delight in your hardship or struggle. And you cannot use it as an excuse to turn your back on God or to do anything other than your best for Him.

I know it’s hard sometimes. I know we struggle and question why things happen to us… why we don’t have friends (or the friends we think we want); why we can’t seem to get that A in physics or why we suffer with allergies and eyes that water and a nose that runs; why our mom or dad got cancer; why we lost our job to cheap labor in China; why we can’t get a better job and struggle to make ends meet… the list is endless!

But understand this… God knows your heart, and He feels your sadness and your pain. He understands your questions, and He is waiting with open arms to reassure you, to life your burdens and to stand with you as you figure out your next steps and/or how to cope. Invite Him to help you. Be real with Him. Tell Him how badly you hurt, even though He already knows! Allow Him to walk with you on this journey. If you will do this, I truly believe it will be easier for you. I’m not saying the pain will be gone or the suffering will disappear or your circumstances will instantly change in your favor. But you will be equipped with a peace and comfort – and even a joy – and in time, the cloud will be lifted, and praise God, the sun will shine again for you!


©2007 Debbie Robus

----------------------------------------------------


Learning to Walk

September 10 ~ Psalm 138:7-8
When I walk into the thick of trouble,
keep me alive in the angry turmoil.
With one hand

strike my foes,
With your other hand
save me.
Finish what you started in me, God.
Your love is eternal—don't quit on me now.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

In March 2007, I fell and broke my ankle. Worse yet, I tore almost all of the ligaments in my foot. The doctor told me I was not to put any weight on my foot for possibly 12 weeks. It turned out to be closer to 9 weeks, but that was plenty long. I remember clearly the day I returned to the doctor’s office for a check-up, and he asked, “Did you bring your other shoe?” I had worn the “Frankenstein boot” for weeks, and I had no idea he would allow me to remove it this day, so I had not brought any other footwear. I told him no, I did not have another shoe, and he said, “Well, put on your sock and step out into the hallway and let’s see you walk.”

Now you would think that, at nearly 50 years of age, this would have been a no-brainer for me. But I have to tell you, those first few steps felt weird. I had to really think about what to do after all those weeks on crutches… how to balance myself and where to put my weight as I stepped out. And in fact, I was pretty wobbly at first! Thankfully, my orthopedist was standing there to rescue me… to prop me up with a strong hand and set me on a straight path down the hallway.

That’s how it is with Christ. He stretches out His hand as we stumble along the way in life, and He straightens the path for us, if we will let him. I hope you never break your ankle or have to be on crutches for any reason. And I pray that in life, your troubles and stumbles are few. But know that Jesus will always be there to steady you with His strong hands and set you on a straight and steady path, and step out in confidence. Jesus will NEVER quit on you … He will save you if you let Him.


©2007 Debbie Robus

--------------------------------------------------------------

September 9 ~ Proverbs 31
10-31 A good woman is hard to find, and worth far more than diamonds. Her husband trusts her without reserve, and never has reason to regret it. Never spiteful, she treats him generously all her life long. She shops around for the best yarns and cottons, and enjoys knitting and sewing. She's like a trading ship that sails to faraway places and brings back exotic surprises. She's up before dawn, preparing breakfast for her family and organizing her day. She looks over a field and buys it, then, with money she's put aside, plants a garden. First thing in the morning, she dresses for work, rolls up her sleeves, eager to get started. She senses the worth of her work, is in no hurry to call it quits for the day. She's skilled in the crafts of home and hearth, diligent in homemaking. She's quick to assist anyone in need, reaches out to help the poor. She doesn't worry about her family when it snows; their winter clothes are all mended and ready to wear. She makes her own clothing, and dresses in colorful linens and silks. Her husband is greatly respected when he deliberates with the city fathers. She designs gowns and sells them, brings the sweaters she knits to the dress shops. Her clothes are well-made and elegant, and she always faces tomorrow with a smile. When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say, and she always says it kindly. She keeps an eye on everyone in her household, and keeps them all busy and productive. Her children respect and bless her; her husband joins in with words of praise: "Many women have done wonderful things, but you've outclassed them all!" Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades. The woman to be admired and praised is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God. Give her everything she deserves! Festoon her life with praises!

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

This passage can be considered a metaphor for model Christian behavior. Think of “good woman” as us, and the “husband” is Christ. If we, as Christians, work hard and bring joy and blessings to our Heavenly Father, then He will bless us in return. Think about the Christians you know. How many of them are busy serving their Lord by being “a good woman” so to speak? Look at the criteria in this scripture passage for what constitutes “a good woman” and think of those you know who fit this bill. I’m guessing that you could name quite a few who you could characterize as “a good woman” in Christ.

Nobody is perfect, but there are wonderful examples all around you, if you look for them. I encourage you to think of those you know who exemplify “a good woman” and a faithful Christian walk. Think of how many of the virtues extolled in The Book of Proverbs that these people live out daily, and ask yourself, “Where can I do better?” I’m betting we all have work to do and areas where we could improve. And clearly we have a great road map in The Book of Proverbs for Christian living. So what are you waiting for? Christ is counting on you. He is waiting for you to “be His bride” and receive His blessings! I promise, it doesn’t get any better than that!


©2007 Debbie Robus

--------------------------------------------------------------

September 8 ~ Proverbs 31
1 The words of King Lemuel, the strong advice his mother gave him:
2-3 "Oh, son of mine, what can you be thinking of! Child whom I bore! The son I dedicated to God! Don't dissipate your virility on fortune-hunting women, promiscuous women who shipwreck leaders.
4-7 "Leaders can't afford to make fools of themselves, gulping wine and swilling beer, lest, hung over, they don't know right from wrong, and the people who depend on them are hurt. Use wine and beer only as sedatives, to kill the pain and dull the ache of the terminally ill, for whom life is a living death.
8-9 "Speak up for the people who have no voice, for the rights of all the down-and-outers. Speak out for justice! Stand up for the poor and destitute!"

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Did you know people are depending on you? I know you may find that hard to believe, especially if you are still living at home, but everyone is depended on by somebody for something! Maybe your mom depends on you to help with household chores, like taking out the trash or watching your little brother or sister. Maybe your dad depends on you to be “the man of the house” while he travels each week for his work. Maybe your parents are depending on you to finish college and get a degree and a good job and help pay back your student loans.

Maybe your best friend is depending on you to help him/her through a rough time. Maybe you are older, and your parents or grandparents are depending on you to help them with the challenges of aging. Maybe your boss is depending on you to work hard and do the best job you can for the company. Maybe your platoon is depending on you to help them stay safe and complete your missions.

Or maybe you don’t feel like anyone depends on you for anything. But that is where you are so wrong. You see, whether you realize it or not, if you are a Christian, God is depending on you. He is counting on you to tell others about Him. He is counting on you to use good judgment, to work hard, to do what is right and to be a good Christian example for others. He is counting on you, just as King Lemuel’s mother counted on him, to stay away from things that would distract you and draw you into poor choices and bad behaviors. He depends on you to help the poor and needy, to stand up for the rights of others, and to be His vessel on this earth for the love and light of Christ.

Where do you stand? Are you a faithful, dependable Christian? Or are you a foolish leader who waters down your effectiveness with poor choices and bad behaviors? The lines are clearly drawn in the sand… which side will you choose?

©2007 Debbie Robus


No comments: