Daily Devotionals for September 2007, Week 3

September 21 ~ Luke 5:27
27-28 After this he went out and saw a man named Levi at his work collecting taxes. Jesus said, "Come along with me." And he did - walked away from everything and went with him.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

I remember when my husband and I were dating. He could stop by my house or call me on the telephone, and it didn’t matter what I was doing – I dropped everything to give him my total attention. And that’s what Levi the tax collector did when Jesus walked by and called out to him, “Come along with me.” If I am to be totally honest, I don’t always react to my husband in the same way now. It’s not that I don’t love him or want to spend time with him. But after three years of dating and 33 years of marriage, it’s not always quite as exciting, and the “worries of the day” are more pressing and seem more important at times than dropping everything I am doing at that moment. I sometimes have to ask if he can wait… or if what he wants me to do can wait. Or I have to ask if I can call him back later. And thankfully, he is quite accommodating of this – most of the time.

Sadly, we do this with Jesus all the time. He calls to us to do things with Him or for Him… to spend time worshipping Him at church on Sundays… to minister to others in His name… to study the Bible or pray… to witness to others and tell them about Him… and in essence we say, “Can it wait, Lord? I’m sorta busy here!” And maybe we get back to Him, but more often than not, we never “return His call.”

When I think of how this must grieve Jesus, I am so ashamed and saddened. I am embarrassed and disheartened to think that the One Who gave everything for me… the One Who is the Author and Finisher of my life – and my eternal life… is so often pushed to the corner to wait until it is convenient for me. And I am humbled and inspired by the actions of Levi. Are you?

©2007 Debbie Robus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 20 ~ Mark 15:16-24
16-20 The soldiers took Jesus into the palace (called Praetorium) and called together the entire brigade. They dressed him up in purple and put a crown plaited from a thornbush on his head. Then they began their mockery: "Bravo, King of the Jews!" They banged on his head with a club, spit on him, and knelt down in mock worship. After they had had their fun, they took off the purple cape and put his own clothes back on him. Then they marched out to nail him to the cross.
21 There was a man walking by, coming from work, Simon from Cyrene, the father of Alexander and Rufus. They made him carry Jesus' cross.
22-24 The soldiers brought Jesus to Golgotha, meaning "Skull Hill." They offered him a mild painkiller (wine mixed with myrrh), but he wouldn't take it. And they nailed him to the cross. They divided up his clothes and threw dice to see who would get them.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Can you imagine it? You are walking home from work or school, minding your own business, and a policeman stops you and says, “you have to carry this prisoner’s ball and chain to the courtsquare – we’re going to hang him.” You don’t have a choice. You are forced to do this. The ball and chain is heavy, and it’s hot, and people are lining the street like it’s some sort of parade. They are shouting and jeering, and throwing things at the prisoner. And then you look up and realize that the “prisoner” is your friend… maybe even your relative. You love this person. You have lived with him and worked with him and you know him… and he is NOT a criminal! Yet you are being forced to walk alongside him and carry his ball and chain and lead him to his death.

How would you feel? Surely the walk would not be easy. But what if the prisoner leaned out and whispered to you that “it’s okay. Thank you for doing this for me.” What if you realized that, by walking with your friend in this horrible, totally unfair circumstance, you were being the
ultimate friend – sticking with him even in the worst hours of his life?

Christ does that for us… but when the going gets tough, do we carry the cross for him? Are we willing to do whatever He asks of us, no matter what it means or what we have to give up to accomplish it? Are we truly walking with Christ, or do we only walk when the weather is right and everything is pleasant and easy? Yes, the scripture says that the soldiers made Simon the Cyrene carry Jesus’ cross. But I would like to think that he did so in part because he felt it was the right thing to do for his Lord. And in that regard, I pray that we may always be willing to do the same.

©2007 Debbie Robus

---------------------------------------------------

September 19 ~ Matthew 19:21-24
21 "If you want to give it all you've got," Jesus replied, "go sell your possessions; give everything to the poor. All your wealth will then be in heaven. Then come follow me."
22 That was the last thing the young man expected to hear. And so, crest-fallen, he walked away. He was holding on tight to a lot of things, and he couldn't bear to let go.
23-24 As he watched him go, Jesus told his disciples, "Do you have any idea how difficult it is for the rich to enter God's kingdom? Let me tell you, it's easier to gallop a camel through a needle's eye than for the rich to enter God's kingdom."

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Have you ever seen the movie The Jerk with Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters? In this 1979 film, Martin plays a dimwit named Navin Johnson who discovers he is not black like the rest of his family, so he runs away from home. He gets into all sorts of trouble, but eventually he invents an eyeglass device that makes him rich. He marries Bernadette Peters’ character and they start living the lavish life of the rich and famous. He loves his possessions and his lifestyle. Through a series of events, he loses all of his money and becomes destitute. As he is leaving his palatial home for the last time, he tells his wife…

”Well I'm gonna to go then. And I don't need any of this. I don't need this stuff, and I don't need you. I don't need anything except this. (He picks up an ashtray.) And that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this. The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. And this. And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair.”

The spiel goes on a bit longer, but you get the idea. Here was a man who loved his things and felt he could not part with them. In the end, Navin returns home to his family, who waited patiently for him and welcomed him with open arms.

Navin missed the boat on a lot of things in life, but aren’t we all Navins at times? We get so caught up in our “things” and appearances, and we miss the fact that the way to Christ is very simple and narrow, and we can’t drag all of the baggage of our life with us on the walk with Him. He wants us to drop everything and come to Him totally unburdened with “stuff”. My husband and I have laughed and laughed about this movie scene over the years, and it has become something of a “gut-check” for us when we feel ourselves becoming too materialistic or focusing too much on “things” rather than what really matters.

What about you? Are you trying to walk with Christ while lugging your “ashtray, remote control, paddle game, lamp and chair?” He wants you to leave it all behind and come follow HIM. Can you do that? Or will you be like the young man who can’t bear to let them go? Remember, all your wealth will be in Heaven. And THAT is all you need!


©2007 Debbie Robus

-------------------------------------------------------------


September 18 ~ Matthew 14:23-26; 28-30
22-23 As soon as the meal was finished, he insisted that the disciples get in the boat and go on ahead to the other side while he dismissed the people. With the crowd dispersed, he climbed the mountain so he could be by himself and pray. He stayed there alone, late into the night.

24-26 Meanwhile, the boat was far out to sea when the wind came up against them and they were battered by the waves. At about four o'clock in the morning, Jesus came toward them walking on the water. They were scared out of their wits. "A ghost!" they said, crying out in terror.

28 Peter, suddenly bold, said, "Master, if it's really you, call me to come to you on the water."
29-30 He said, "Come ahead." Jumping out of the boat, Peter walked on the water to Jesus. But when he looked down at the waves churning beneath his feet, he lost his nerve and started to sink. He cried, "Master, save me!"

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

I would like to share with you the words of a song I wrote titled “Walk on Water.” I believe we all have a choice to make… we can “walk on water” with Jesus, or we can sink or swim. It’s up to us… which will you choose?




Walk On Water
©2004 Debbie Robus

Verse 1:
Sometimes it's hard to know where to turn
To know who to trust and what to believe
But I've got a Friend, with lessons I'm learning
A Hope and a Faith, and gifts He brings to me…

Chorus:
Walk on Water… keep your eyes on Christ
Walk on Water… let Faith fill your life
When life seems confusing, you can choose to sink or swim
Or you can keep your eyes on Jesus, and walk close to Him
It's a matter of faith, and it's up to me and you
Keep your eyes on the Master… He will get you through
Walk on Water


Verse 2:
Sometimes life is up; sometimes life is down
Sometimes you have friends; sometimes you're alone
But I serve a King, and His name is Jesus
In Him I know I am always at home

Chorus:
Walk on Water… keep your eyes on Christ
Walk on Water… let Faith fill your life
When life seems confusing, you can choose to sink or swim
Or you can keep your eyes on Jesus, and walk close to Him
It's a matter of faith, and it's up to me and you
Keep your eyes on the Master… He will get you through

Walk on Water
Walk on Water
Walk on Water
©2007 Debbie Robus

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 17 ~ Matthew 11:27-30
27 Jesus resumed talking to the people, but now tenderly. "The Father has given me all these things to do and say. This is a unique Father-Son operation, coming out of Father and Son intimacies and knowledge. No one knows the Son the way the Father does, nor the Father the way the Son does. But I'm not keeping it to myself; I'm ready to go over it line by line with anyone willing to listen. 28-30 "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

In my twenties, I took up running. I started out walking, and then I would intersperse some running, and soon I was running more than walking. My brother-in-law was running in 10K races and even a couple of marathons, so he was much better at running than I was. But one weekend we both ended up at a family get-together, and he invited me to take a morning run. He was planning to run three miles. I had never run that far – in fact, I had only run between 1.5 and two miles. He told me, “If you can run 1.5 miles, you can run three miles.” And he proved it! We ran and talked, and soon I had completed three miles!

”Walk with me and work with me – watch how I do it.” That’s exactly what I did on this run. We didn’t run faster or harder than I was able… we maintained a steady unforced rhythm. We kept each other company along the way. Returning home, I found myself repeating the thought, “If you can run 1.5 miles, you can run three.” And soon, I realized if I could run three miles, I could run five… and pretty soon, I was running 5K races, and then 10K races. I even garnered a couple of medals for finishing well in my age division (okay, so there weren’t that many women runners in my category!).

The point is, someone encouraged me and took the time to show me the way to accomplish this, and he made it easy and comfortable. And that is what Jesus wants to do for us. He wants us to walk with Him, to pay attention and let Him show us how to do this. He wants to make it easy for us and comfortable. I can’t imagine anyone I would rather have for a “running partner” in life than Jesus, can you? So what are you waiting for? “Walk with me and work with me” … He’s ready when you are!

©2007 Debbie Robus

-------------------------------------------------------------------

September 16 ~ Hosea 14:9
If you want to live well,
make sure you understand all of this.
If you know what's good for you,
you'll learn this inside and out.
God's paths get you where you want to go.
Right-living people walk them easily;
wrong-living people are always tripping and stumbling.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

The Old Testament talks a lot about men and women who “walked with God.” These were people who followed God’s paths. Their life wasn’t always easy, but by living right and following God, trouble was pretty well always “in the other lane.”

Have you ever tried to get somewhere without a map, and in doing so, you got all turned around and ended up in the wrong spot? My mother had a friend who traveled to New York once and decided to take a subway ride. She got off in the wrong spot and ended up near Harlem in a very dangerous situation. Suddenly she was surrounded by several people who looked as if they meant to do her great harm. She began to pray… I mean really pray! And she kept walking. Soon someone appeared beside her and started walking with her. She was not sure this person was any more harmless than the others, but she had no choice but to keep walking and praying. And the person stayed right with her all the way to safety. It’s been a long time since this happened, and some of the details are hazy, but I’m pretty sure she was finally able to hail a cab and return to her hotel. Somehow, she made it back safely.

I find this story incredible. This woman did a foolish thing and did not pay attention to her maps or where she was going. And in doing so, she tripped and stumbled into an amazingly dangerous situation. But she did the right thing… she called on God to help her, and a “stranger” appeared to walk beside her. You do the math! From my vantage point, it is pretty clear that she wasn’t in the company of a “stranger” at all, but rather the only Walking Partner Who really matters.

Don’t try this at home, so to speak. Don’t go your own way and expect to pray when things get dicey and expect God to get you out of trouble. It doesn’t always work that way. Keep Him with you and guiding you at all times… in all situations… and learn His ways “inside and out.”


©2007 Debbie Robus

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


September 15 ~ Ecclesiastes 10:2-4
2 Wise thinking leads to right living;
Stupid thinking leads to wrong living.
3 Fools on the road have no sense of direction.
The way they walk tells the story: "There goes the fool again!"
4 If a ruler loses his temper against you, don't panic;
A calm disposition quiets intemperate rage.

(Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. For copies of The Message call (800) 366-7788.)

Have you ever seen someone walk with a swagger, as if they were really somebody and they knew it? Did you think to yourself… “there goes the fool again!”? C’mon, be honest… I betcha did! Have you ever seen someone who was inebriated or high on drugs try to walk the straight line in a field sobriety test? Did you think they were foolish?

The point is this… the way you walk does tell the story. And the way you WALK in your daily living tells the story of your relationship with Christ. Are you acting foolish? Sure, to Christ, you are a “somebody.” But are you swaggering and puffing your chest and acting like you are more of a “somebody” than you really are? God wants you to be real. He wants you to think wisely, live right, have a sense of direction in Him, and stay calm. So how are you doing? Which way do you walk?

©2007 Debbie Robus

No comments: