Daily Devotional for August 16, 2013

Psalm 119:121-127
I stood up for justice and the right;
    don’t leave me to the mercy of my oppressors.
Take the side of your servant, good God;
    don’t let the godless take advantage of me.
I can’t keep my eyes open any longer, waiting for you
    to keep your promise to set everything right.
Let your love dictate how you deal with me;
    teach me from your textbook on life.
I’m your servant—help me understand what that means,
    the inner meaning of your instructions.
It’s time to act, God;
    they’ve made a shambles of your revelation!
Yea-Saying God, I love what you command,
    I love it better than gold and gemstones;

 
Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
 
Thirty-nine years ago today, I married my high school sweetheart.  I remember how hard I worked all summer with my mom and my grandmother to get everything ready for the wedding.  We made pretty much everything… down to the gowns, cake, mints and flowers!  I remember when Greg and I returned from our honeymoon. We still had a couple of weeks before school started at our university, and my family was on vacation in Texas… so we stayed at their house.  When Greg returned to his summer job, I still recall thinking, “Now what?”  The “hoopla” was over… college still lay ahead of me.  But for the moment, reality had set in – and I was more than a little thrown by it all.
 
For many of us, there are lots of “Now what?” moments in life.  When we settle into our college dorm room or new home for the first time, we may have those moments of asking… “Now what do I do?”  When the wedding toasts have all been given and the honeymoon trip has been taken… and you return to the everyday world of work, school, household chores – or whatever your life entails, it is normal to have that moment when you wonder, “What is next?”  When you finish school and enter the workforce, you may wonder, “Where do I go from here?”  As you age, retire, lose family members, peers – or even a spouse, it is natural to ask, “Now what?”
 
In any life-changing event, there is a time of a “natural high”… followed by a “reality check” where we may wonder what will come next.  Even in our Christian faith, we often go through a period of exhilaration… a “mountaintop experience” in which we are filled with joy, confidence, and inspiration to be the most devoted Disciple for Christ.  On the Walk to Emmaus, participants are cautioned on the last day as they return home that the world does not operate as we do… that we will face all sorts of challenges and struggles… and the potential for becoming discouraged or complacent is high.
 
So where does this leave us?  How do we avoid the pitfalls and navigate the “what nows”?  I believe that these verses help us figure out where to begin… “teach me from your textbook on life. I’m your servant—help me understand what that means, the inner meaning of your instructions.”  If we continually seek God in all things… if we listen and learn from His teachings… we can experience peace even in the midst of the most troubling “Now what?” event.  God will show us how to proceed in every circumstance… He will guide us – and number our steps.  And this, my friends, is worth more than the purest gold or a chest full of diamonds and gemstones.
 
Even after 39 years, I don’t know for certain what lies ahead… but I know Who is in charge.  Because of God’s love and care, I can give my “Now whats?” to Him and rest in the assurance – and peace - that He will show me the right answers. Can you say the same?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: