Daily Devotional for August 6, 2013

Philippians 4:9
Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you.
 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
Today, my nine-year-old cousin Olivia spent the day with us.  Olivia’s mom is a kindergarten teacher who has already returned to work for the new school year. So I invited Olivia to come have a “sewing/craft” day with me.  When I picked her up at 9:00 a.m., she told me that what she really wanted to do today was cook!  I asked, “What would you like to cook?”  She decided we should bake cupcakes.  So bake cupcakes we did… and Olivia carefully watched every step in the process. I put flour into the sifter… she sifted.  I mixed buttermilk and cocoa powder, and she stirred.  She scooped the batter into the cupcake papers. We both checked them for doneness as they baked!  I told her I was not any good at frosting cakes, and she said, “Don’t worry… I’m great at it…I’ll teach you!”  And she truly did show me a few tricks!
 
We also sewed… I helped her make a little felt purse for her American Girl doll, and she helped me cut out some fabric flowers to enhance a dress that we made for her.  Things move quickly with a nine-year-old, so you try a lot of different projects in one day!  We even drew a flower and worked with pastels, and I showed Olivia how to blend the colors and smooth them… something she learned to do quickly and really enjoyed. And she taught me how to be a “shark” when playing Monopoly!
 
I know that at least a few of the things we did today will stick with Olivia.  We looked at several of my cooking utensils, and I told her some had come from her great-great-grandmother (my great-aunt).  We talked a lot about cooking, and I told her about the women in my life who taught me to cook… especially my grandmother and her great-grandmother and great-great-grandmother.   She also told me, “I won’t taste the cupcake batter, because it has raw eggs in it.”  She is listening and watching… and putting into practice what she learns and receives from the “teachers” in her own life.
 
It gets better…Olivia’s mother shared with me that last night at bedtime Olivia prayed for me and for our time together.  Now that is the perfect example of putting into practice what one has learned!  When we reach a point in our faith where we deem it important to pray about something as seemingly trivial as a “play-date” with a friend or relative, we have successfully put into practice what we have learned and received from God and faithful parents and “teachers”.  And for such attentiveness and obedience, God gives us His abiding peace.
 
I often say that we could learn a lot from our children… and Olivia is a great example of this.  Before her tenth birthday, she has learned to pay attention to the “lessons” that surround her… and she is busy putting her knowledge into action.  Sadly, at some point many of us seem to “catalog” our lessons rather than incorporate them… especially when it comes to Christian discipleship and how we share Jesus with others.  You don’t have to look very far to see that often this directly correlates to a spirit of discontentment, fear, disappointment and chaos in our lives.
 
Wouldn’t you rather operate in God’s peace?  Don’t you see that God has given us perfect instruction and models for this through His Holy Word and the discipleship of many in our midst?  Are you paying attention and learning from these examples?  Are you practicing what you receive and putting this information into action in your daily living?  Do you know that it’s never too late to learn something new?  Won’t you make this the day you start acting like a true Disciple?  Are you ready to experience the peace of God?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: