Daily Devotional for July 19, 2007

Proverbs 16
1 The preparations of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue, is from the LORD.
2 All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the LORD weigheth the spirits.
3 Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.
4 The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.
5 Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.
6 By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.
7 When a man's ways please the LORD, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.
8 Better is a little with righteousness than great revenues without right.
9 A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.
(Scripture taken from the King James Version, 1987 printing. The KJV is public domain in the United States. To read this passage from The Message, go to
www.biblegateway.com and do a passage lookup.)

Can I be real with you for a minute? For several weeks, I have had an unsettled spirit. I have been bothered and upset by petty things that I knew shouldn’t matter. I have acknowledged this as the work of the devil to try to throw me off course. And still, I have struggled with these issues. I have prayed about them and asked for guidance – and relief! I guess you could say I have felt as if I were in a “Spiritual drought!” Have you ever felt this way? Have you ever wondered where your deepest joy went and how to get it back again?

I have good news! This passage speaks directly to those of us “wandering in the desert” so to speak. “Commit thy works unto the Lord…” “When a man’s ways please the LORD, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.” In other words, I need to be looking harder for ways to please the Lord. I need to be focusing more on HIS work and HIS goals, and HE will take care of the devil and any forces at work to pull me away from the joy He brings to my life.

I’m sure you are thinking, “yeah, sure… that sounds too easy!” We need to realize that being a Christian doesn’t guarantee us a life of joy and warm fuzzy feelings. We must stay constantly alert and pay attention to our Spiritual health, feeding and nurturing it with the tools God provides. I’m not going to tell you that it will be easy – the devil is a strong force who doesn’t give up! But, GOD is far more powerful. “My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.” (John 10:29 KJV) So be encouraged. “Spiritual droughts” can end, and the flood of God’s joy can come again. Recommit yourself to prayer and Bible study and spending time in His presence. Ask God to show you how to best serve Him in your daily living, and see where He leads you! It is my prayer that God’s blessings rain down on you and fill you in ways you can’t even imagine!


©2007 Debbie Robus

No comments: