Daily Devotional for July 7, 2007

Proverbs 11
23 The desire of the righteous is only good: but the expectation of the wicked is wrath.
24 There is that scattereth, and yet increaseth; and there is that withholdeth more than is meet, but it tendeth to poverty.
25 The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself.
26 He that withholdeth corn, the people shall curse him: but blessing shall be upon the head of him that selleth it.
27 He that diligently seeketh good procureth favour: but he that seeketh mischief, it shall come unto him.
28 He that trusteth in his riches shall fall; but the righteous shall flourish as a branch.
29 He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool shall be servant to the wise of heart.
30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.
31 Behold, the righteous shall be recompensed in the earth: much more the wicked and the sinner.
(Scripture taken from the King James Version, 1987 printing. The KJV is public domain in the United States. To read this passage from The Message, go to
www.biblegateway.com and do a passage lookup.)

For several years I operated a graphic design business. I produced business cards, brochures, pamphlets, newsletters, press releases and more for a handful of clients in my community. While my charges were probably lower than many, I felt I usually got a fair compensation for my products and services. I tried to treat every client as fairly and kindly as I would want to be treated. I also tried to conduct myself ethically at all times.

My goal to please my clients, but this was not always an easy task. Some of my clients were very wealthy and surrounded by other wealthy people. I was exposed to a segment of society that was new to me and afforded me the opportunity to travel in some fairly high circles of society at times. And many of the people I met were generous, fair and humble. Unfortunately, some were not. They considered their wealth a license to misbehave… to treat those with less as second class citizens, to demand special services and treatment, to excuse indiscretions and lewd behavior. Because they had money, they felt a sense of entitlement … as if they were “above the law,” so to speak.

As somewhat of a sideline observer (and employee), I occasionally had to decide whether to go along with the client’s wishes, or to stand for my own ethics and refuse. Sometimes the price was a heated discussion of what I would and would not do for the client. Occasionally, it cost me my job with a particular client. But I have never gone hungry. I have never been unable to pay my rent or put gas in my car. I have never had trouble sleeping at night because I chose money over honesty. And I will have to say, on more than one occasion, someone has come to me and said, “I was watching, and I saw how you conducted yourself, and I was impressed or inspired.”

People ARE watching. And I have to believe that even those who choose money and mischief over honesty are watching, too. And hopefully a few of them will be moved to change their attitudes and behavior. If your conduct inspires/impresses even one of them, it will have been worth it. And if not, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that God was pleased, and He is the One Who matters! So choose wisely how you conduct yourself. Don’t be greedy or overcharge for goods and services. Treat people fairly and with kindness… from your employees to the person who waits on your party at a restaurant to your mom or your wife when she puts your dinner on the table. You may have a pile of money on earth, but you heavenly treasures will be more than you can ever use.

©2007 Debbie Robus

No comments: