December 2009 Devotionals - Week 3

December 21 ~ Hebrews 4:12
What God has said isn't only alive and active! It is sharper than any double-edged sword. His word can cut through our spirits and souls and through our joints and marrow, until it discovers the desires and thoughts of our hearts.

(Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.)

If you have ever cut up a chicken, you know that a good, sharp knife is required to cut through the bones and joints. If you have ever cut into a watermelon, you know that a good sharp knife makes this task much easier and quicker, and gets you to the deepest “meat” of the melon. This passage compares God’s word to a sharp knife that can cut through our body to get to the deepest parts of our soul and reach our innermost thoughts and desires.

Many of us have spent a lot of time trying to keep those thoughts and desires hidden – even buried – so that others don’t see who we truly are. And some of us have done such a good job of hiding our feelings that we don’t even know ourselves what we really think and feel about some things. But God’s word can cut straight through. It can penetrate the deepest, darkest regions of our mind and heart. And the best part is that where we are impure in thought and feeling, God’s word can change us! God’s word can work in us to bring about a renewed mind and heart… I’ve seen it for myself and in others!

Get into God’s word… study what He has to say to us about everything that matters. Let it really soak in… let it cut through the joints and marrow, spirit and soul and get straight to your heart and mind. The answers are there… the solutions to all of your problems lie within the Word… the healing, peace, comfort and joy of a life in God can be found there, too. If you keep reading in Hebrews 4, you will see that nothing in our heart and mind is hidden from God – He knows the truth. And verse 15-16 says that “Jesus understands every weakness of ours, because he was tempted in every way that we are. But he did not sin! So whenever we are in need, we should come bravely before the throne of our merciful God. There we will be treated with undeserved kindness, and we will find help.” Come before God and let him use the “knife” of His word to reveal to you areas that could use some help – then let Him do the work to change you from the inside out and “remodel” your heart and mind.

©2009 Debbie Robus

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

December 20 ~ Titus 2:14
He gave himself to rescue us from everything that is evil and to make our hearts pure. He wanted us to be his own people and to be eager to do right.

(Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.)

If you have watched very many infomercials on television, you know that there is a pill or a “fix” for virtually every problem. Have a tummy bulge? There’s a machine, belt or DVD that will help you melt it away. Losing your hair? There are creams and cures for that. Acne? Not a problem… just try the regimens offered on late-night TV! Lost your job? Buy real estate with “no money down,” or work from home selling cheap “gifts and home décor” to others.

The trouble with these products is that the driving force behind them is not pure. I guess the best thing I heard about one of these was the news reporter on a local television station who does “We Try It Before You Buy It.” He tried those miracle globes that are supposed to water your plants for you. Trouble is… you still have to remember to water the globes! So much for not having to remember to water your plants! And that’s how it is with so many shortcuts and gimmicks in life… they don’t offer a complete package.

But JESUS offers the complete package. He gave His life to save ours… HE is “the cure for what ails us.” He died so that we could live… and live well. He took all of the evil on Himself, so that we could live pure lives. So why aren’t we? What’s stopping us? I believe it is a matter of committing our hearts to Him – FULLY! That means we can’t hold on to prejudice, judgment, gossip, selfishness, indiscretion, discrimination, unkindness – or anything else that is in any way impure.

It isn’t easy, and becoming completely pure in heart is a process… it doesn’t happen overnight. But with God’s help, our hearts can grow more pure every day – and honor Jesus and His sacrifice in the bargain. Are you ready to truly be Christ’s own – are you eager to do right? Are you at least willing to try? Ask God to help you release anything impure in your heart… begin to make the move toward Him, and He will draw you nearer every day.

©2009 Debbie Robus

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 19 ~ Titus 1:15
Everything is pure for someone whose heart is pure. But nothing is pure for an unbeliever with a dirty mind. That person's mind and conscience are destroyed.

(Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.)

Remember how your mom always told you to be sure you had on clean underwear? Let’s be real… who’s to know? Oh, sure… there is that remote possibility you will be run over by a bus. But most days, nobody else will ever know how clean your drawers are! But just because people don’t see that you have on clean or tattered underwear doesn’t make a difference. YOU know what you are wearing underneath your clothes.

In the same way, it matters what is in your heart and mind. Many people talk a good game. They go to church on Sunday, sing loudest during the hymns and worship songs, and even do good deeds for others in their church and community. They write fat checks for missions and visit the sick and elderly, and appear to be Godly and pure. Then they sit at home and harbor hatred for other races and ethnicities. They feel disgust and disdain for others – even family members and friends – and in their heart and mind, they are critical and hateful. They hold grudges and pass judgments on others – for things as mundane as appearance and as large as legitimate injustices.

And in all of this, every “good deed” is negated. Every praise, every mission, every outward action of a Godly person is totally destroyed if his/her head and heart harbor impure feelings. You can’t have it both ways. You can’t appear to love God and serve Him and harbor unkind sentiments – even if you keep them to yourself. You can’t worship and minister – and hate. This is the “dirty mind” of which scripture speaks – a mind that is corrupt and impure. If you are going to really serve God – if you are truly a disciple of Jesus Christ – you heart has to have on “clean underwear” - your heart and mind must be clean and pure, too. How pure are your thoughts and feelings? What are you wearing today?

©2009 Debbie Robus

----------------------------------------------------------------

December 18 ~ 2 Timothy 2:22
Run from temptations that capture young people. Always do the right thing. Be faithful, loving, and easy to get along with. Worship with people whose hearts are pure.

(Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.)

Have you ever been in a situation where you knew in your heart you shouldn’t be there, but rather than look like a wimp or a “goody-two-shoes,” you just sat back and watched things unfold. You didn’t participate, but you didn’t leave or say anything, either. Maybe you went to a party with friends who were drinking or taking drugs or doing something else they shouldn’t. Maybe you were in a store where friends were shoplifting, and you looked away. Maybe you were with a group of people who were spreading vicious gossip, and you said nothing.

Maybe you were at a Bible study where someone started to speak unkindly about a group of people or another person… criticizing them and judging them - and claiming it was in the name of the Lord… and you didn’t challenge their comments. Maybe you worship in a church where subtle hints that only certain socio-economic and/or ethnicities are welcome. Maybe you think these things are okay!

The Bible is very clear. God uses Paul’s letters to tell us that we are always to do the right thing. Notice, he didn’t say the POPULAR thing… he said, “do the right thing.” Run from temptations. Stand up for your convictions and what you know is right in God’s eyes. Be faithful, loving and easy to get along with. In other words, don’t come down on your friends for their choices, but lovingly let them know you are not willing to participate. If you are involved in a church or a group within your church where hearts are hard and attitudes are not Godly, ask God to show you how to proceed. In all things, ask God to show you when to speak up, and when to walk away and find new friends and acquaintances. But don’t compromise your values – or your faith. Keep your heart pure and filled with the Holy Spirit at all times – then follow His lead. God will bless your efforts, and you will know you did the right thing in His eyes.

©2009 Debbie Robus
------------------------------------------------------------

December 17 ~ Philippians 1:3-11
Every time I think of you, I thank my God. And whenever I mention you in my prayers, it makes me happy. This is because you have taken part with me in spreading the good news from the first day you heard about it. God is the one who began this good work in you, and I am certain that he won't stop before it is complete on the day that Christ Jesus returns.

You have a special place in my heart. So it is only natural for me to feel the way I do. All of you have helped in the work that God has given me, as I defend the good news and tell about it here in jail. God himself knows how much I want to see you. He knows that I care for you in the same way that Christ Jesus does.

I pray that your love will keep on growing and that you will fully know and understand how to make the right choices. Then you will still be pure and innocent when Christ returns. And until that day, Jesus Christ will keep you busy doing good deeds that bring glory and praise to God.

(Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.)

Recently I have begun to reconnect on Facebook with teacher co-workers and students from my days as an elementary school kindergarten teacher. I taught for nine years and “retired” from that career at age 29. As I reflect on that time in my life, I often am somewhat embarrassed at how poorly I handled many situations. I let myself get caught up in petty disagreements. I failed to realize that a tyrannical administrator was dealing with demons I couldn’t imagine. I could have been more sympathetic toward parents at times. Now that I feel I have the wisdom and maturity to really make a difference in children’s lives, I no longer have the physical stamina required! Even then, I collapsed on Friday nights before 9:00, exhausted from the week of keeping up with 25-28 five-year-olds all day!

The one thing I did right was love my children… every one of them. I didn’t realize then that this love was the most valuable gift I could give them… more valuable than teaching them phonics, shapes and colors, or how to tie their shoes. For approximately 1300 hours over 9 months, these children knew that I loved and cared for them and would nurture them each day. And now, as I read the posts on Facebook, I see that many of “my children” are doing very well. I worship each Sunday with some of them and delight in seeing them serve God and bring up their children to know and love Him. I see students coaching community Little League teams… while others are youth pastors in churches and medical missionaries abroad, nurses, parents, teachers and more.

I see that God used me, even when I was “young and dumb (unaware),” to minister to others. And as I have grown in my faith, I hope I make better choices each day and minister in His name with “innocence and purity.” My point is, if God can use us even when we don’t realize it… if He can work in and through us even when we make bonehead decisions – and occasional selfish choices – think how He can use us when we focus on Him! Think how we could further His kingdom if we were consciously trying to serve Him well! I have been so blessed to watch many of my students in their ministry efforts. I can’t begin to imagine the outcome if I had been more diligent! Maybe in another 20 years I will be blown away at the evidence!

Every time I think of my students, I smile and thank God I had the chance to play even a small part in their development. Today, I thank God for the opportunity to share His word with YOU! Who has a special place in your heart – and makes you thankful to God? Who is God leading you to love and serve through Him? What choices are you making? Are you consciously asking God to help you make a difference each day? Is your love for Him – and the outpouring toward others – continually growing? Are you busy doing good deeds to bring Him glory?

©2009 Debbie Robus

----------------------------------------------------------------------

December 16 ~ Ephesians 3:14-21
I kneel in prayer to the Father. All beings in heaven and on earth receive their life from him. God is wonderful and glorious. I pray that his Spirit will make you become strong followers and that Christ will live in your hearts because of your faith. Stand firm and be deeply rooted in his love. I pray that you and all of God's people will understand what is called wide or long or high or deep. I want you to know all about Christ's love, although it is too wonderful to be measured. Then your lives will be filled with all that God is. I pray that Christ Jesus and the church will forever bring praise to God. His power at work in us can do far more than we dare ask or imagine. Amen.

(Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.)

There is a great little song we teach to children in Sunday School classes or VBS called “Deep and Wide.” Kids love this song, because they can make the motions as they sing – one hand spaced a few inches above the other, palms in, to denote “deep”… and then spread wide apart to depict “wide.” And there is a line that says, “There’s a fountain flowing…” and you wiggle your fingers and simulate a fountain flowing down the front of your body. I’ve sung this song with my cousin Olivia since she was about two, and she loves it! I can’t wait to teach it to baby Timothy!

As entertaining as this song is for children, there is a HUGE meaning in it for all ages. Deep and wide – that describes how big God’s love is for us. The “fountain flowing” indicates that there is no beginning or end… God’s love and blessings continually come to us and fill us. So many of us miss this. Oh, sure, we know that God loves us. We know He blesses our lives. But we truly do not understand the depth and width of our God! We do not understand how truly impossible He is to measure! We have no clue how much God can do in and through us, because we don’t recognize His true power and vastness!

How do we improve in this area? Do what Paul suggests… become strong followers of Christ… stand firm and be deeply rooted in His love… praise God and bring praise to Him. And I would add… open your heart and mind to the possibilities. Invite God in and give Him room to work! Give Him your heart and watch how He fills it with more than you can ever measure, explain, or imagine! Seize the power of God and let Him fill you “deep and wide.”

©2009 Debbie Robus

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 15 ~ Ephesians 1:18
My prayer is that light will flood your hearts and that you will understand the hope that was given to you when God chose you. Then you will discover the glorious blessings that will be yours together with all of God's people

(Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.)

Some of you know that my husband and I are helping with the care of our great-nephew, Timothy, while his mother works and goes to college. He is “a light that floods our hearts” whenever we see him. As we watch him grow and learn new things, we are overjoyed. It seems like we laugh and smile more these days!

Did you know that God laughs and smiles with joy at usHis children! Do you understand that He chose each and every one of us to belong to Him? And just like we want to lavish love and care on our baby Timothy, God wants to bless us – you and me - beyond anything we could ever imagine. But in order to do this, we have to let Him into our hearts. His light has to flood our hearts. We have to truly understand how powerful and mighty God is – and allow Him to work in and through us.

Lately, I have spent time in prayer about several issues in my life and the lives of others. I have truly surrendered more than one of these issues to God… and then I have marveled at how He handled them for me. And you know what? In every case, His answer and resolution was far better than anything I could ever have even imagined… and certainly more than what I could have accomplished on my own. The more I see how God works when I allow Him to fill my heart, the more I see how ridiculous it is for me to try to handle things myself – much less without Him. I’m telling you the truth… the more you allow the light of Christ to flood your heart - the more you understand how much God wants to give you - the more blessed you will be.

What do you have to lose? Give God a chance to work in your life – you will be amazed at what happens!

©2009 Debbie Robus

No comments: