Daily Devotional for April 10, 2014

Psalm 111:4
The Lord God is famous
for his wonderful deeds,
    and he is kind and merciful.

 
Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.
 
This morning I got an e-mail message with news that a friend of ours has received the diagnosis of renal cell carcinoma - kidney cancer.  This occurred quite suddenly, and he is scheduled for immediate removal of one of his kidneys.  Friends and fellow church members will gather during the surgery itself to pray for him and the medical team…and of course, prayers have already begun in earnest for this young father of three small children.  These prayers are acts of compassion and care…and we believe that God will deliver a positive outcome, according to His will.
 
As I went about my morning activities, I muddled over all of this “news”.  My first thought was of Dr. Jennifer Arnold, the “little person” I mentioned in another devotional who just completed chemotherapy for a rare form of cancer and “rang the bell” in her oncology ward to signify an “all clear” diagnosis.  I pictured my friend doing the same thing.  But then the devil filled my head with doubts, fears, panic and all sorts of questions.  And I started to ask God, “What about this?  Why that?  What will happen if???”
 
Very clearly, I felt God telling me to “settle down”…to come back to “center” and remember WHO He is!  I immediately changed my prayer from one of “Lord…NO!” to one of “LORD…I know You’ve got this!”  God emphatically reminded me of the countless “Oh, NO!” moments in my own life that He handled perfectly.  Notice I did NOT say that God handled each of these experiences as I wished…but I can see that the outcome had great purpose - HIS purpose.
 
In 1994, my classmate friend Sandra died of breast cancer.  She left behind two young boys – ages six and nine.  For a long time, I asked God over and over…“Why her and not me?  I have no children…she is a single mother with two little boys. Didn’t she need to stick around to rear them?”  I don’t know why God took Sandra…but I now understand at least in part why I am still here.  I had children and a grandmother to care for…my husband needed me to help him with our business…and apparently, God has other things in store for me – at least so far this day!
 
The point is that God truly IS kind and merciful…and famous for wonderful deeds.  And we must remind each other of this…even in the midst of a crisis or an event or experience that frightens and bewilders us.  We must turn our “Oh, NO!” moments into “God’s got this!” affirmations.  We must encourage others to do the same and lift them up with prayers of hope and assurance…hugs and words of promise and possibility…and a confident attitude that God never wastes an opportunity or experience.
 
I don’t know what your “Oh, NO!” moments entail…but I’m pretty sure you have had some – or you will at some point.  And I’m fairly certain that family members and friends will have them, also.  How will you handle them?  Will you trust God to deliver you with kindness and mercy?  Will you encourage each other as you call on Him to demonstrate His wonderful deeds?  Will you empathize with those who are in the middle of a “rough patch” and assure them that God is still in control?
 
Do you truly believe the claim of this scripture passage from Psalm 111…and are you living out its message in your own thoughts and actions?  Isn’t it time you took this to heart and claimed it – for your own life and the lives of others?  Will this be the day you do exactly that? “God’s got this!”  He truly does.  Do you believe it…and does it show?
 
©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: