Daily Devotional for April 30, 2014

Hebrews 11:6
You can never please God without faith, without depending on him. Anyone who wants to come to God must believe that there is a God and that he rewards those who sincerely look for him.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

I know that some of you are getting tired of reading about the tornado that devastated central Arkansas on Sunday, April 27th.  But please bear with me.  Yesterday, Greg and I drove Grandma “E” to a doctor’s appointment in Little Rock.  The route we took to get there carried us directly through the tornado’s path in El Paso, Arkansas, where a woman perished.  We returned via I-40 through Mayflower, and I cannot put into words what the tornado damage looks like there.  Pictures have not adequately portrayed how horrific it is…and Grandma “E” remarked, “Surely someone must have died right here in this.”  It didn’t seem possible that any living thing that was unfortunate enough to be in this area and above ground at the time could have possibly survived…although we know that many did.

My Facebook wall is still covered in posts regarding the tornado, and I know that the impact will keep these posts coming for quite some time.  By far, the most poignant post I’ve seen is from the blog of a young mother named Jessica Sowards, who lives in Vilonia, Arkansas.  Her dear friends and nearby neighbors, April and Daniel Smith, lost two sons in the tornado…8-year-old Cameron and his 7-year-old brother, Tyler.  If you don’t do another thing all day long, please read this blog post:

http://thehodgepodgedarling.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-cheerleader.html?m=1

If you have asked God “Why?” – about this tornado and/or any situation, ever – you need to read this post and hear the words of April Smith.  April is not okay with God allowing her two sons to be taken…but at the same time, she trusts that God is still in charge and has a bigger, more complicated – and perfect – plan than we can begin to see.  And so April trusts…she believes…and she waits for God to carry her through this. 

If you want to fully understand the words of Hebrews 11:6, read this post.  Hear the words of this woman and try to wrap your brain about the level of faith in Jesus that the mother of little Cameron and Tyler has.  I wish I could say that I am as trusting…but honestly, I am not sure that I could be so faithful and filled with peace, were I in her shoes. 

Believe me…I want to serve God at this level…because I know that this is where “the good stuff” really resides.  I know that to be so confident and filled with faith will equip me to handle anything and everything that the devil throws at me…and I so need that – don’t you?  Will this be the day that we begin to truly, fully walk in faith and depend on God – for everything?  Don’t you think it should?

   
©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: