Daily Devotional for May 1, 2014

Isaiah 55:8-13
This plan of mine is not what you would work out, neither are my thoughts the same as yours! For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than yours, and my thoughts than yours.

As the rain and snow come down from heaven and stay upon the ground to water the earth, and cause the grain to grow and to produce seed for the farmer and bread for the hungry, so also is my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It shall accomplish all I want it to and prosper everywhere I send it. You will live in joy and peace. The mountains and hills, the trees of the field—all the world around you—will rejoice. Where once were thorns, fir trees will grow; where briars grew, the myrtle trees will sprout up. This miracle will make the Lord’s name very great and be an everlasting sign of God’s power and love.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

In the early 1950s, a man and his wife were expecting a baby…their third child.  These parents of two boys - ages 9 and 5 - were hoping for a girl this time around.  Instead, they were blessed with a dark-haired, brown-eyed boy.  God’s plan and theirs were just a tad different!  And as the wife of this “third boy”, I am incredibly glad!

See, God already knew that Greg and I would marry.  Even though I would not even enter this world for another three years, He was planning the events that would bring us together.  He was orchestrating the details of the move from Iowa to Arkansas that would eventually bring Greg’s family to my home town.  Believe it or not, we didn’t even really know each other until Greg’s senior year of high school…even though we lived in a very small town with a population of roughly 2500.  To think that God brought us together at that time in our lives indicates to me His intention for us!

Stop and think about the people and events that have come together to form your life.  Haven’t you ever wondered, “Why did I meet this person?” or “How did this happen?”  Why do families move thousands of miles and become part of the fabric of another community and state? Think of the times you have said “I didn’t expect this, but I couldn’t imagine my life any other way now.”  When we are young, we picture our lives and the events that will frame them, and “life” almost never turns out that way.  We don’t anticipate significant changes – both good and bad.  We cannot begin to name all of the people who will enter – and depart from – our lives.  We don’t know what successes and triumphs we will experience…or what tragedies and losses will befall us.  I often say that when I was a little girl, I dreamed of becoming an architect…or a ballerina…and you can see how well this worked for me!

God has perfect plans for us.  He knows who our parents will be…where we will live…what will happen to us every single second of every day…and He will be with us every step of the journey.  And the most beautiful part is that God is not done when our earthly life ends…He will continue to orchestrate our future and walk with us in heaven, as well.  I am so grateful that I am a creation of such a powerful, loving God.  And I am learning to trust His plans for my life – in all things.  I don’t understand it all…a lot of what happens is more than I can wrap my brain around and digest.  But I trust Him.  I feel His presence.  God is with me, and I know that He is planning my every step.  MY JOB is to pay attention - and to follow Him…to trust in His wisdom and power…to listen for His voice …and to be faithful and obedient!

May 1st is a day that I celebrate enthusiastically.  I am so glad that God chose Greg to be my companion and mate. I am even more grateful that He has guided my steps most of my own 56+ years.  There were moments when I thought I knew more than He and tried to do things my way – with mostly miserable results!  But I am growing in my relationship with Him…recognizing His presence alongside me more and more…and trusting His guidance.

What about you?  Have you truly found God?  Do you understand His presence in your life…and do you trust His leadership and direction?  Take some time today to reflect on the events of your life.  Recognize God’s loving, caring hand in all of the circumstances that make up your time on this earth…and trust His plans for your future.  Make every day a celebration because God is with you - and you know it!  Learn to appreciate the signs and miracles of God’s everlasting love…and revel in His continual presence. 

God may not always give you the desires of your heart…at least not as you envisioned them…but He will do what is best and perfect!  Today, I am celebrating God’s wisdom and incredible love…and the fact that the third Robus baby was NOT a girl!  What will you celebrate?


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: