Daily Devotional for May 28, 2014

Acts 3:20-21
Then that time will come when the Lord will give you fresh strength. He will send you Jesus, his chosen Messiah. But Jesus must stay in heaven until God makes all things new, just as his holy prophets promised long ago.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

There was a time when I cleaned our house every week…EVERY.WEEK. - from top to bottom.  I dusted furniture, vacuumed floors, scrubbed bathrooms, and sometimes cleaned windows and did other “deep cleaning” jobs.  At one house we lived in, we had an entry-way that I waxed and buffed to a high sheen.  This wax had to be periodically stripped with ammonia and re-applied.  What was I thinking?! 

For starters, I was a good 20+ years younger and had more energy.  These days, Greg laughs because I spend several days talking about cleaning before it ever gets done.  I will say, “Today, I’m going to clean the house.”  He smiles and says, “Yeah…okay.”  Now, for the record, he doesn’t care if I clean the house or not.  His take is, “If we’re not having company, why bother?!”  And to some degree – okay, to a LARGE degree! – I’ve become comfortable with that philosophy!

But there comes a point where I cannot rest until my “house is in order” – quite literally.  I honestly function better and have a more positive mood when the house is relatively clean and orderly.  And if we are honest, we are this way with our spiritual relationship, too – or we should be!

We can rock along for a while and live in disorder.  We can let our prayer life and regular Bible study (notice I didn’t say DAILY Bible study!) slide a bit.  We can skip a few Sundays here and there at church and get involved in other activities on the weekends.  Some of us take this even further and slide back into a few old, sinful habits.  We let our “inner slob” take over, and I have to tell you…the devil thinks this is a hoot!  Satan LOVES a “dirty house”!

Too many of us have postponed our “housecleaning” and set Jesus on the shelf.  We know He will return for us someday – or that He will greet us in Heaven.  So in the meantime, we just plug along, doing whatever we feel we can or that time will allow – or whatever feels best!  We take Him for granted.  And honestly, we grow more sluggish…more weary…and more run down, as outside forces work their way into our lives and vie for our time and attention.

Today, I am determined to get my house cleaned.  More importantly, I am working on my heart – the “house” where Jesus lives in the form of His Holy Spirit.  As I go about my scrubbing and dusting, I am talking to Him, reconnecting…letting His love, grace, mercy, forgiveness, and wisdom flood over me and refresh me like a Sunday-afternoon nap!  I encourage you to do the same. 

Company IS coming…His name is Jesus!  Is your “house” in order?  Are you rested and ready?

   
©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: