Daily Devotional for May 3, 2014

Jeremiah 33:2-3
“This is God’s Message, the God who made earth, made it livable and lasting, known everywhere as God: ‘Call to me and I will answer you. I’ll tell you marvelous and wondrous things that you could never figure out on your own.’”

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

People often tell me, “I don’t know how you come up with these daily devotionals.”  I’ll be honest…I don’t know either.  Well, okay…that’s not exactly true.  Several years ago, I switched from trying to write several devotionals – like as much as a few weeks’ worth – in one sitting…and I started writing them each day. The first step is to ask God to show me what topic is timely (and you would be amazed at how well this works!)…and then I search online for scripture references that match this theme.

I continue to be amazed each day at how the scripture passage coincides so well with what is happening – in my life, and in the world at large.  I consider this a “marvelous and wondrous thing” that I could never figure out on my own.  God cares so much about me and those who read these “daily devos” that He meticulously orchestrates the themes and the scripture passages. He points me in the direction of appropriate analogies to drive home the point and make it relevant.  There are days when I read something online or hear a story on the news and think, “Why on earth am I giving this my time and attention?”  When I open my devotional outline and begin to study the scripture passage for that day, the answer often becomes abundantly clear!

If you haven’t figured it out by now, my “theme” for the most recent devotionals has been “finding God”.  This was brought to my attention by the Facebook post of a friend who said he had known about God all of his life…but on Easter Sunday while attending a service at a church in our community, he truly “found God” – maybe for the first time ever.  And some of us are still searching for God.  We’ve known who He is and what He is about for a long, long time…but we still haven’t quite found Him.  We don’t see His hand in everyday, trivial circumstances - much less the unpleasant events of our lives.  We don’t think to ask, “LORD, what do you want me to do with this information…or that instance?”  We don’t understand that all we have to do is call to God…and He will answer.

Today, I read a story online about a woman whose son was killed in the April 27th tornado in Vilonia.  Only 22 years old, Jeffrey Turner, a senior at the University of Central Arkansas, knew that he was in the direct path of the tornado when he texted his mother, “Mama, I’m so scared.”  Jeffrey lived with his father and stepmother, who were both injured.  Jeffrey died as a result of his injuries in the category EF-4 twister.  His last text messages to his mother read, “Good-bye, mama…It’s heading right for me.” 

I grappled with this…I still do.  What if that were one of my beloved “children”…one of my nieces or nephews, cousins or precious friends who are like my own?  How would I stand it?  Jeffrey’s mother, Regina Wood, was helplessly texting from 20 miles away in Beebe, Arkansas, “Are you okay?”  Today, she says she is comforted that in his last moments, Jeffrey thought to tell her “Good-bye” – and that he loved her.

So why did people die and suffer so much damage?  How did one person survive while another right next door did not?  Why were people, animals and belongings hurled as much as 2 miles from their initial location?  We’re wasting our breath, time and energy asking most of these things, because we will never know the answer.  The only question that makes any sense is the this one…”Where was God on April 27th?”  And the answer?  He was there…in Vilonia, Mayflower, Center Hill, El Paso, Paron, and other Arkansas cities that were devastated by this killer storm.  He is there now…in every hug, every prayer, every pair of hands that help to clean up the debris and rebuild, every dollar and supply that is donated.  God is there…and countless people are calling out to Him - and finding Him.  They are realizing that there are marvelous and wonderful things happening all around them, even as their hearts break - things they will never fully understand or comprehend. 

God is there.  God is with you…and me.  He is with those who are celebrating and filled with great joy today…and those who are hurting so badly they think they cannot bear the pain for one more second.  He understands every single emotion that we experience…and He has a plan.  I don’t know how…when…or where God will reveal Himself to you – or to me.  But I plan call on Him…and to be watching and waiting.  Will you?


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: