Daily Devotional for May 14, 2014

Matthew 10:32-33
If you tell others that you belong to me, I will tell my Father in heaven that you are my followers. But if you reject me, I will tell my Father in heaven that you don’t belong to me.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

A couple of years ago, Greg and I went to a James Taylor concert.  A friend of ours who is almost 30 asked, “Who is James Taylor?”  Whoa, boy!  That made us feel really old!  James Taylor is such a musical icon that we assume that EVERYONE knows who he is!  While his music was popular when we were in high school and college...his songs are still sung and played frequently today.  James Taylor’s work has stood the test of time!

We joined the online James Taylor fan club…and when it came time to order concert tickets, we were given a two-day advance – and we receive preferential treatment...our seats were on the floor on the second row!  We felt like we could reach right up and touch James Taylor and the band members.  And at intermission, I was able to walk up to the edge of the stage, hand James Taylor my denim jacket and a marker, and get his autograph!  Every time I wear that jacket, I think of him.  I remember his songs and what they meant to my life…the times, people, places and things that the melodies and lyrics represent. 

During the concert, we were enjoying a particularly lively song, and the percussionist looked directly at Greg…then he pointed, and acknowledged him and how much he was appreciating the music. I know that James Taylor and his entourage do not know us personally, but they certainly acted like they did at the concert.  Taylor was cordial, friendly, and personable. He knows that those who attend his concerts and seek his autograph are fans…supporters…people who appreciate his work. I’m sure that anyone who approached James Taylor on the street would be greeted respectfully and cordially…but he wouldn’t truly know in that brief moment whether the person was a true fan or as an aficionado of his work, unless the person told him.

Here’s the thing…some of us “grew up on God”… like we “grew up on” James Taylor’s music.  Many of us have spent a great portion of our lives going to church, singing hymns, learning Bible verses, and even praying.  We were welcomed into the fellowship of the body of Christ when we professed our faith in Him.  We are entitled to a “good seat” in Heaven for all of eternity.  And when we step forward to meet Jesus face to face, He will know us by name!  In fact, He knows us now…and recognizes our every breath.  How wonderful it is to know that this will continue forever and ever!

But some of us have turned our back on God.  We have said, “Yeah, I’ve heard of Him…but I don’t much care for His ways…His rules…His message.  I find His teachings to be boring…constraining…more of a fairy tale…confusing… or simply not for me.”  And some have even acknowledged that they have never even heard of Jesus…at least not enough to be interested in what He offers them.   These folks are not assured a seat at all…much less a special assignment!  Jesus knows them…the Heavenly Father created them!  He knows their name and counts their breaths.  He will always treat them with kindness and cordiality.  But unless these persons become part of His “fan club”…unless they claim Him as their Savior and acknowledge Him in every way, He will not remember them to God in heaven.  They won’t receive admission to the biggest “concert” of all…much less preferential seating!

In August, we will attend another James Taylor concert…fifth row seats on the floor this time around!  We will enjoy every note, lyric, drum beat and strum of Taylor’s guitar.  And maybe James and the band members will wave at us and acknowledge our presence.  As much fun as that will be, it can’t hold a candle to what awaits us in heaven…or the relationship we have every day of our earthly lives with Jesus.  The real acknowledgement I want is His.  I want to think of Jesus every day…to be reminded of Him in people, places and things that fill my earthly life.  I cannot wait to be recognized by Him at the great party that will take place when I arrive in heaven.  Jesus’ “fan club” is the one that truly matters…HIS favor is what I desire…the privilege of a seat at HIS table is the one I’m after. 

We’ll enjoy the concert in August…spending a night listening to James Taylor singing his hits will be fantastic.  But spending every day with Jesus is better.  We know a bigger, far superior celebration awaits us someday in Heaven.  Will you be sitting next to us?


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: