Daily Devotional for May 2, 2014

Jeremiah 29:13
You will find me when you seek me, if you look for me in earnest.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Through no fault of their own, countless animals found themselves displaced in the April 27th tornados that ravaged central Arkansas.  My Facebook wall is littered with photos of pets that have been found…and some who are still lost.  I am thrilled every time I read a post about a happy reunion – and there have been many.  People are earnestly seeking pets – and their owners – and there are quite a few “success stories”.

A few months ago, we took Timothy and Zola to the park to play after church one Sunday, and Timothy wandered away from the swings and went on an “exploration”.  He was walking farther and farther away from us, but I had my eye on him the entire time.  At one point, I could hear him yelling, “HELP!  HELP!  I’m LOST!  Somebody save me!”…but of course, he was not lost at all!  He would hold his hands to his face and wail, “WHY!  Oh, WHY?  Why won’t somebody save me?!”  So we pretended to “rescue” him, and he came running to our open arms.

Now here’s the thing…we are never lost to God.  Whether we have been tossed about in an actual tornado, the “storms of life”, or the pretend melodrama of a 4-year-old, God knows exactly where we are…and He is there with us.  He is there in the rescues…but He is also with us when it seems that no help will ever come.  If we look for Him, we will find Him. The trouble is that too many of us aren’t truly looking.

It’s a pretty safe bet that God is not going to literally tap you on the shoulder and say, “Hey, I’m right here!”  So how DO you find God?  Start by making Him a part of your daily routine.  Talk to Him – often.  Read the scriptures and think about the words in terms of your own life.  How do they relate to what is happening at this very moment.  How can they guide you and give you insights, hope and encouragement?  I am confident that you will find that the scriptures are far more relevant and in tune with your life today than you ever imagined.  Associate with fellow believers, and learn to share your thoughts and ideas about God…where He is, and how He shows up in your life in all kinds of circumstances. 

The next time you feel “lost”…remember that you really aren’t.  God is always with you.  If you look for Him in earnest, you will find Him.  If you make God a part of the very fabric of your life, you will find that He seems to show up more often!  He has been there all along…you just didn’t know where to look.  And now you do! 


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: