Daily Devotional for May 24, 2014

2 Corinthians 2:14-15
But thanks be to God! For through what Christ has done, he has triumphed over us so that now wherever we go he uses us to tell others about the Lord and to spread the Gospel like a sweet perfume. As far as God is concerned there is a sweet, wholesome fragrance in our lives. It is the fragrance of Christ within us, an aroma to both the saved and the unsaved all around us.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Yesterday, I made apple pies.  I shared one with my cousins, and one of them said, “I bet your house smells amazing!”  And yes, it did smell good as the aroma of freshly baked pie wafted through the rooms.  We all associate certain thoughts and memories with smells – both good ones and those that are not so pleasant.  If you have ever had a bad experience with a certain smell, unhappy memories will be triggered pretty much every time you encounter that aroma afterward…and you may be left feeling unsettled – or even agitated.

Perhaps you share fond memories associated with smells.  For me, it is those little crumbly wafer-style ice cream cones.  My grandmother kept them – along with ice cream (usually Neopolitan, so we could each choose our favorite flavor!) – and I think of her every time I smell those.  Today, I keep them for our children, and each time we have an ice cream cone, I remember my grandmother.

I shared some baby clothes that Timothy had outgrown with my friend Melissa, and as she took them out of the sack, she asked her daughter Ada, “Do you know who gave us these clothes?”  Ada replied, “Yes…Mrs. Devvie!  They smell like her!”  My cousin Natalie tells me that her little boy, Owen, has made the same comment – that the clothes I have made for him “smell like Aunt Debbie”.  We think it must be the fabric softener I use.  And speaking of fabric softener…I purchased dryer sheets last week while I was shopping.  All the way home, my car smelled wonderful…the sweet, soothing fragrance from those boxes filled my vehicle and gave me a wonderful sense of calm and relaxation.

The Bible tells us that Christ’s presence within our hearts is a sweet fragrance…an aroma to savor.  He gives us peace, calm, and rest as we let the cares of the world – and freedom from our sin – go by the wayside, and we simply bask in His love and care.  His is not a palpable aroma in the physical sense – like that of dryer sheets, an apple pie or an ice cream cone.  But the sweet perfume of Jesus is the most lasting fragrance…the most powerful and effective scent…the most peaceful and restful “aroma” we will ever experience.

Do you carry the sweet perfume of Jesus’ love and care with you?  Is the aroma of His grace and mercy - and His sacrifice for your sins - filling your heart and soul today?  Are you resting in the beautiful fragrance of Christ…relaxing in the bountiful and glorious aroma of His continual presence?  Don’t you want to “smell like Jesus”?  Isn’t this a good day to begin?


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: