Daily Devotional for May 17, 2014

Psalm 148:1-6
Praise the Lord, O heavens! Praise him from the skies! Praise him, all his angels, all the armies of heaven. Praise him, sun and moon and all you twinkling stars. Praise him, skies above. Praise him, vapors high above the clouds.

Let everything he has made give praise to him. For he issued his command, and they came into being; he established them forever and forever. His orders will never be revoked.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

I saw a Facebook link to a video* about Larissa and Ian Murphy, one of the most amazing married couples you will probably meet anytime soon.  Ian and Larissa began dating in 2005 while attending college.  Larissa says that she knew they were headed toward marriage – Ian had even been shopping for a ring.  Then Ian suffered a brain injury in a serious car accident. Larissa moved in with Ian’s family and helped them with his therapies.  Over time, Ian recovered to the point that the couple made plans to marry.  Today, the Murphys have been husband and wife for three years.  They have written a book about their journey… Eight Twenty Eight: When Love Didn't Give Up**, which will be available for purchase in August 2014. 

The couple keeps a “board of gratefulness” on their living room wall, where they post daily notes that list what they are thankful for…and they encourage visitors to post a note, also.  Larissa jots down simple things like “Saturday mornings”.  She says more than half of Ian’s say, “my wifey”.  Larissa says this is a way that they have found to practice gratefulness.

The Murphys agreed that they would consider marriage when Ian could once again talk to Larissa.  His communication skills – and his physical abilities – have progressed tremendously, especially in the three years since their wedding.  In the video, Larissa says that she knew if the roles were reversed, Ian would not have left her…and that they know that God will be faithful to their marriage.  She asked Ian, “What about God enables you to have a happy marriage?”  Ian responded…”He’s awesome.”  This may sound like an oversimplification.  But when you boil it all down…isn’t this the crux of our relationship with God?

Doesn’t an abiding, forever-and-ever relationship with God begin with acknowledging that He is awesome…magnificent…powerful…almighty…loving…caring…persistent and consistent? Would you ask someone who was NOT all of these things to mold and shape you…to meet your every need?  Even if you did…could you depend on the outcome?

I’m not sure I could be as strong as Larissa Murphy.  I cannot say with certainty that I would be as courageous…that I could take on the difficulties she added to the normal day-to-day demands and challenges that come with marriage.  I am not sure that I would have the determination of Ian Murphy…that I would work as hard to come back from such a debilitating injury.  But I know that without God in my life, none of it would be possible in the least…it simply would not happen!

Situations like this one humble me.  They help me to see how blessed I am…that on my worst day, things are not nearly as bad as I think!  And yet, I see that God is with me in my circumstances…and also in those of people who have so much more to address.  If these folks can start their days with notes of gratitude and praise…surely so can I! 

Finding God begins in large part with acknowledging His power and blessings.  The first step in truly getting to know God is to recognize His hand in your life and the lives of those around you…to see His handiwork in places and things…and to give Him glory and praise for all of it!  If you were able to post a note on the Murphy’s wall today expressing your gratefulness…what would you list?  Are you fully cognizant and appreciative of God’s artistry?  Isn’t it time you were?


©2014 Debbie Robus

*http://vimeo.com/88485530
**http://www.amazon.com/Eight-Twenty-When-Love-Didnt/dp/143368182X

No comments: