Daily Devotional for May 10, 2014

John 5:19
Jesus replied, “The Son can do nothing by himself. He does only what he sees the Father doing, and in the same way."

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

As we approach Mother’s Day, some people are switching their Facebook profile picture to one of their Mom.  In some cases, the resemblance of the woman in the old photo to the child in present day is uncanny.  I have several photos of my niece Jasmine – and especially of Timothy – in which their “smirky” smile is that of my dad.  The crazy thing about this is that my dad died when Jasmine was 9, and Timothy never knew my dad, so he has absolutely no reference for this gesture.  My niece Zola points to things with her middle finger.  I don’t recall this, but my sister says that Daddy did the same thing…and so did Jasmine.

My cousin Olivia is witty and bright…engaging and funny.  She “comes by these traits honestly”…her mom is the same way, as were her Grand-dad and great-grandmother.  But the interesting part is that Olivia was two when both of these dear ones passed.  She really never knew either of them…certainly not enough to talk like them or develop many of their personality traits.  And how does my cousin Owen walk like his Grand-dad, who died three years before he was even born?  There is only one answer to these questions…the “father” lives within us.

Do you see where I am going with this?  We are often so innately connected to our ancestors that we carry much more than their DNA.  We are like them in subtle gestures and faint hints of personality characteristics, mannerism and more.  They are a part of us and who we are.  And our relationship with God contains the opportunities for conveying His “gestures and mannerisms”… and the potential for far greater reflections of His glory, power, love, grace and mercy.

Apart from God, we might be able to sustain kindness and generosity – or to accomplish many things on our own.  But for the really significant stuff, we need His presence.  There have been countless times in my life when I experienced or accomplished something that I knew was far beyond my capabilities or “wheel-house”.  The only way these things happened was under God’s power…His work in and through me. I am not God, and I know it!  But without His hand in my life, I am powerless and utterly incapable in many instances.

Here’s the really cool thing.  The closer we grow to God…the more frequently He shows up, and the more readily recognizable these experiences become as His handiwork.  I find God more often in the makeup of my life - from subtle nuances to the truly large events.  The more I grow in my relationship with Him…the more I acknowledge His power, wisdom, and presence…the more I truly find Him.

I may not have God’s “smirky smile” (although, who knows?!)…and I know that there are many instances where I fail to represent Him well - much less give others a glimpse of Him in my words, thoughts and actions.  But I’m working on this and striving to do better and be better every single day.  What about you?


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: