Daily Devotional for June 16, 2014

John 16:7
But I tell you that I am going to do what is best for you. That is why I am going away. The Holy Spirit cannot come to help you until I leave. But after I am gone, I will send the Spirit to you.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

We took the kiddos to Pizza Hut for lunch after church yesterday.  When Greg went to pay the bill, Timothy wanted to go with him.  At first I told him to stay in his seat.  But Timothy persisted, and I could see Greg standing at the cash register…so I decided it was safe for Timmy to join him.  Plus, Timothy kept saying in a confident-but-not-bossy tone, “I’ll handle it!  I can handle it!”  So I let him go.  And several times in the 10 or 20-foot walk to his uncle, Timothy looked back with a smile and said, “I’ll handle it!”

I’ll be honest…there have been a couple of times in this little guy’s short life when letting him go was truly heart-rending.  Twice he came to visit his grandparents and us for extended stays, and then we returned him to Texas to live with his family.  We all knew that he needed to be with his parents and his siblings…and he would talk about “going home to Mom and Dad”.  But the head and heart are often in conflict – and these experiences were no exception!

We assured Timothy that even though he was separated from us by hundreds of miles, we would always love him…that he would forever be in our hearts.  We told him, “Look at the moon and remember that we are seeing the same moon…and we love you to the moon and back!”  When we would talk on the phone, we would ask him, “Did you see the moon?  Do you remember how much we love you?”  More importantly, we reminded him countless times of how much God loved him…and that God would never leave him, no matter where he went.  I truly believe this 5-year-old boy comprehends God’s presence, love and care - as much as a child can grasp any intangible concept!  He knows that God will “handle it”…no matter where he is or what happens.

Saying “Good-bye” is difficult sometimes…maybe even gut-wrenching…but often necessary.  It was important that Timothy return to his parents and siblings.  And it was necessary for Jesus to physically leave earth and return to Heaven.  Thankfully, Timothy and his family returned to Arkansas almost two years ago, so we have all been reunited in the same community and see each other often.  And someday, we believers will be reunited with Jesus.  But in the meantime, we can carry His Holy Spirit in our hearts.  We know that wherever we go…whatever we do…He is with us.  We can feel His love and presence and know that He is near.  Like the moon reminded a toddler that he was loved from afar, we have reminders of Christ’s love and care at every turn. 

I realize that not every “Good-bye” comes with the assurance that there will be a reunion…at least not an earthly one.  Many of us have said a necessary “Good-bye” to loved ones who have passed from this earthly life to a heavenly one…if only our “four-legged” family members.  We carry memories of them in our hearts and remind ourselves of their physical existence through photos, conversations with others, and thoughts of the times we shared together. For the most part, these give us comfort…and honestly, I believe these reminders are a gift from God…another way that He assures us that “I’ve got this!  This is how I’m helping you handle your grief and loss.”

As I look back over the events of my life, I can see that there are more times that God has handled things for me than I can count.  Every day, I realize even more just how near to me the Holy Spirit is…how often and effectively He works in and through me…and provides for my every need.  I can’t imagine anyone will be happier to meet Jesus face-to-face than I…but in the meantime, I know that I am never alone.  The Spirit has come to me…and every hour of my day, He says, “I’ll handle it!”…and He does!  Has the Holy Spirit come to your heart to handle things?  Don’t you think it’s time you invited Him to do just that?


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: