Daily Devotional for June 17, 2014

Leviticus 23:23-25
The Lord told Moses to say to the people of Israel:

The first day of the seventh month must be a day of complete rest. Then at the sound of the trumpets, you will come together to worship and to offer sacrifices on the altar.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

One September morning, the mother of one of my students came into my classroom and told me that her son would be absent from class for a few days later that week.  The family would be celebrating their church’s “Feast of the Trumpets”.  I will admit, I had never heard of this…but it was obviously a big deal to this family and their fellow church members in the Church of God – a Christian denomination.  If you read all of Leviticus 23, you will see that there are several “Bible feasts” and celebrations throughout the year that were to be observed with certain rituals, foods, and periods of rest from all labors…and this student’s family attended many of them.

The “Feast of the Trumpets” is commonly known today as the Jewish New Year – or Rosh Hashanah.  However, some Christian denominations still celebrate this and other “Bible feasts” marked in Leviticus 23.  I honestly do not know what these entail fully…or whether celebrants literally forego all work during each of these celebrations.  But the Apostle Paul referenced these events in Colossians 2:16-27…referring to them as a foreshadowing of the coming of Christ.  To paraphrase Paul…”Jesus is real and here with us…we don’t necessarily need to celebrate these rituals now.”

Do not misunderstand me.  This doesn’t mean that we Christians shouldn’t have rituals, ceremonies and celebrations.  I believe that these events serve to enhance our faith and fellowship…and often cause us to focus more specifically on Jesus and our relationship with Him.  My particular denomination does not celebrate all of these “Feasts of the Bible”, but we do participate in Sunday worship services, Holy Communion, Advent, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday and other Easter week services, to name a few. 

The thing that struck me as I read the verses of Leviticus 23 was that the Old Testament Jews were pretty busy observing these festivals!  During each one of these events, everyone was expected to stop all work and participate…and/or rest – and sometimes abstain from eating!  Can you imagine us doing this today?  “People weren’t as busy back then,” you may say. Really?  Do you honestly think that the workload was lighter in a time without electricity, running water, motorized vehicles, computers, telephones, home appliances, and other modern conveniences we all take for granted?  Yet these faithful people stopped what they were doing and rested…they made these celebrations to honor God a priority.

I wonder…do we make God a priority?  Do we shift gears and set aside time to “rest in the LORD”?  I’m not necessarily talking about literal, physical “rest”…I’m talking about something far more refreshing and renewing.  I’ll be the first to tell you that I don’t always make time to attend such services at my church as Ash Wednesday or Maundy Thursday.  But when I do attend such a time of worship, I always come away profoundly affected…feeling closer to God…more “centered” in my faith.  The time that I spend in Bible study and working on these daily devotionals is precious to me and helps me to align my thoughts and my focus for the day.  When I take extended time to talk with God…to sit and listen for His voice…I am refreshed and energized - as if I had taken a two-hour nap!  These “rests” often help me “get my head on straight”!

It amazes me that in spite of all of our technological advances, we seem to have become busier than ever!  I still cannot get over how people can’t seem to pry themselves from a hand-held device long enough to share a meal with family or friends, watch their children participate in some activity…or have a genuine conversation with another human being.  And this has more than carried over into our spiritual life.  We’ve become so caught up in the “busyness” of life that we no longer have time to rest and celebrate Jesus Christ and our relationship with Him!

I’m not suggesting that we go back to the Old Testament rituals found in Leviticus…or that we completely rearrange our schedules to accommodate extended periods of worship, Bible study and prayer.  I fully realize that we cannot always attend every event held at our church…or stop everything to sit for an hour in prayer and Bible study.  But I do think there is room for us to seek a happy medium…a compromise of sorts (and that seems a silly word to use when we talk about Jesus!)… a way to incorporate periods of celebration, worship, rest and renewal in the LORD into our everyday lives. 

Jesus IS alive and real…and here with us.  Are we stopping long enough to acknowledge His presence?  How long has it been since you really “rested” with Him?


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: