Daily Devotional for June 29, 2014

Psalm 4:8
I can lie down and sleep soundly
    because you, Lord, will keep me safe.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

On the way home from church today, we discussed taking an afternoon nap.  “Grandma E” said that she was going to have a nap.  Uncle Greg and I both said we planned to take a nap.  Timothy even said a nap sounded good to him.  But 3-year-old Zola said, “I’m not napping!  I’ve already napped today!”  Most days, neither one of these children wants to take a nap!  Like most little ones, they consider naps and sleep to be a total waste of their time and energy!  They fail to see the rejuvenating benefits of rest and sleep.  And if they happen to be afraid of nightmares - or as Timothy told me recently, “monsters who will attack me while I sleep”…they do not see anything safe and protective about even a brief slumber.

Several years ago, I was feeling restless, uncertain, frustrated…and weary.  One day, I closed my eyes to pray…and as I did so, I pictured Jesus extending His arms to me.  He was wearing the softest, silky white robe…and He beckoned me to come to Him… just as an adult would welcome a little child.  I imagined myself sinking into his arms…felt the softness of the sleeves of His robe as He engulfed me with His arms…and nestled against His strong chest as He gently – but firmly – drew me against His body.  I relaxed, rested, and “slept soundly” – if only in my mind – as Jesus soothed and protected me.

There was a fleeting recollection of being nuzzled and snuggled like this as a child…maybe not by someone in a flowing robe…but I could recall feeling safe and protected in the arms of a strong, loving presence all the same. Many of us probably felt the safety and security of a “grown-up’s” arms… or crawled into the lap of a beloved parent, grandparent, aunt or uncle and slept soundly.

But imagine the arms of Jesus welcoming you.  Think of His strength and power intertwined with His gentleness and affection.  Settle in for a while…rest and relax.  Are you able to imagine this?  Are you so comfortable and confident in your relationship with Jesus that you can envision taking a nap in His arms and allowing Him to protect you from anything and everything that is threatening or unpleasant? Can you refresh and rejuvenate in His presence and “awaken” feeling more confident in His wisdom and care?

Is the LORD truly your refuge…your place of shelter and rest?  Even when “life is good” do you find yourself crawling into His lap for even a brief snuggle and visit?  Can you lie down and sleep soundly, because you know that the LORD keeps you safe?  Isn’t this the perfect day to “fall into the arms of Jesus” and relax?  The time has come to crawl into Jesus’ lap and sleep well.  Aren’t you ready for a nap?


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: