Daily Devotional for November 19, 2014

Philippians 4:13
Christ gives me the strength to face anything.
 
Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.
 
A friend of mine took her ten-year-old dog to the vet for extensive knee surgery.  She posted pictures on Facebook of the little dog cowering under a chair in the clinic waiting room.  My friend expressed concern over the safety and well-being of her beloved pet – and relief when the procedure was over and all was well.
 
If you have ever had surgery – or any medical procedure that required anesthesia – you probably know those moments of trepidation right before they “put you under”.  There is a sense of apprehension and dread…maybe even a “Wait a minute!  I’m not ready!” instant of panic!  The next thing you know, the drugs take effect, and you wake up in a recovery room.  At least that is how it’s supposed to work!  Nothing is certain, and surgery is a risky proposition under even the best of circumstances.
 
Whether this happened to you – or to someone you know and love (even a pet) – you most likely understand what I am describing…that “gentle fear” (or maybe it wasn’t so gentle?) that grips us in moments when we know that something is coming…and we cannot stop it.  And if we are honest, we will admit that this can scare the pants off us!  Here’s what I tell myself…”You (or they) will wake up – either here or in heaven.”
 
Now you may be thinking…”That’s pretty dramatic!”  Yes…but it’s the truth.  Because I know that “Christ gives me the strength to face anything!”  And if you go back and read the last part of verse 11, you will see that Paul says…”I have learned to be satisfied with whatever I have. I know what it is to be poor or to have plenty, and I have lived under all kinds of conditions. I know what it means to be full or to be hungry, to have too much or too little.”  What I hear in this passage is the additional message that “Wherever I am…Christ is with me.”  And I take that to include on this earth AND in heaven!
 
If I could only learn to apply these thoughts to every situation of my life, I would be so much more settled.  If only I could say in every worrisome or “hard” situation, “Christ gives me the strength to handle this,” I would find such a peace and calm.  And I can do this…and so can you!  We can learn to fully embrace the confidence that Jesus will help us through those mid-terms. He will get us through the holidays – the meal planning and preparation, gift-giving, rushing around, entertaining of guests, grief over the absence of loved ones, and general “stress” of the season.
 
Jesus will help us figure out how to make ends meet.  He will care for our health – physically, mentally, and emotionally.  Jesus will guard our hearts and strengthen us in wisdom and courage as we serve Him and witness to others.  He will make us bold in places where we feel terribly week and inadequate.
 
Wherever we “wake up”…Jesus will be there.  The question is…will we recognize His presence?  Will we trust Him to give us the strength to face anything?  Are we truly grateful for such a magnificent and extravagant gift?  Do you understand that the best way to acknowledge and honor this blessing is to accept it and believe in it daily?  Are you ready to dive into life with the confidence – and gratitude – that Jesus is always with you…ready to handle anything?  Isn’t it time you were?
 
©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: