Daily Devotional for September 17, 2010

1 Peter 4:11
If you have the gift of speaking, preach God's message. If you have the gift of helping others, do it with the strength that God supplies. Everything should be done in a way that will bring honor to God because of Jesus Christ, who is glorious and powerful forever. Amen.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I’ve had some sort of virus for a few days that left me with acute laryngitis. I know some of you will find this incredibly amusing – or even “poetic justice” – so go ahead and laugh. The truth is, being unable to make a sound above a whisper for more than five days has given me time to reflect in depth on speech and communication … how and why we communicate – and what we are really saying.

I’ve considered my inability to talk – and the ramifications. What if my voice didn’t return … how would I manage? Thankfully, I can write notes by hand, send texts and e-mails, post on Facebook, and even use charades and sign language to get a message to my husband. But there are things that I cannot do … like respond to my cats when they call. I can’t read or sing to Timothy – and he isn’t old enough to understand laryngitis. I can’t telephone people who don’t have e-mail, like my grandmother and my sister. I can’t console a little friend I saw in Wal-Mart who had scraped her knee.

Satan may be having the biggest laugh over my inability to speak … but he has not won. I can still write devos. I can still mail notes of encouragement, sympathy, get well wishes, and congratulations. I can still work with my hands to do everything from housekeeping to meal prep to hugging husbands, kitties and babies. I can still give a grieving friend a hug and a smile in Wal-Mart. I can still pray.

I can still honor God in a number of ways, because we are none of us limited to one method. If God takes your hands, feet, speech, eyesight, hearing … whatever, ask Him to show you another way to serve Him. Because I assure you, with God there is always a way.

I know that in a few days my speech will return. But I won’t forget the lesson of my laryngitis. I won’t forget the blessing of being able to open your mouth and answer the telephone … or read/sing to a baby. I won’t underestimate the spoken words, “I love you.” I also won’t underestimate the power of God to use us in a variety of ways … and to bless us immensely. I will thank Him for good health and strong bodies … and a few days to learn more about Him in the peace and quiet of a raspy whisper.

How will God use you today? What will be your “tools” and gifts? Will you recognize them and ask God to give you strength and power to honor Him by their use?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: