Daily Devotional for September 19, 2010

Matthew 12:36-37
I promise you that on the day of judgment, everyone will have to account for every careless word they have spoken. On that day they will be told that they are either innocent or guilty because of the things they have said.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Each month, as I go to sales and auctions, I make notes of what I purchase and how much the items cost. As I sell things online and in my booth at a store downtown, I make a note on my “inventory list” of the date the item sold and the sale price. I do this for tax purposes, and also because it’s fun to see how much I made or lost on each item. Thankfully, there have been very few losses.

Somehow, I have a feeling that there are more “losses” to report when I stand before God some day. Even though I know that my name is written in The Lamb’s Book of Life … and I have every confidence that Jesus is preparing my “mansion” as we speak … I will still have to answer for what I did on this earth. God is going to want me to account for the careless words I said … the judgments I made about others … the times I was supposed to serve and didn’t.

I hope that there will be at least a few things in the “plus” column for God to recognize. And I am doing all I can to add to that column. But it is very easy for us to slip into old habits … and to say and do things that displease God. I believe when we realize that God really is making note of these – and some day, He will say “What do you have to say for yourself?” - we will try to do better. I believe that at the end of my “heavenly review,” God will take His giant eraser – or more aptly, a cup of Jesus’ precious blood” - and wash away any evidence of my wrongdoing. But I don’t want there to be much for Him to erase, do you?

Today, I pray you will remind yourself that God is making notes. He is holding us accountable for everything we say and do … and someday we will have to answer for our careless words and our ruthless judgments of others. I pray you will ask Him to give you strength and wisdom to conquer these demons in your life and to focus more on serving and making marks in God’s “plus” column.

©2010 Debbie Robus


If you have a minute, please view this video by Beth Moore, a well-known teacher of God’s word. She speaks to the issue of judging others – and listening to God. You’ll laugh, think – and maybe even cry … but she will give you a great illustration of how God works – and the many ways we can serve Him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtk5WgzZcYA

No comments: