Daily Devotional for March 13, 2011

Psalm 49:7-9
You cannot buy back your life or pay off God! It costs far too much to buy back your life. You can never pay God enough to stay alive forever and safe from death.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

More than one person has tried to make something – or someone – go away by writing a big check. More than one parent has told a child, “If you will do this… be good… make good grades (or whatever the parent wants done at the moment), I will buy you a new toy… give you money… make your favorite dinner… get you new sneakers (or whatever will impress the child). Human nature frequently operates in the realm of “name your price.”

When it comes to our Heavenly Father, money does not “talk.” We didn’t do anything to earn our salvation in Christ Jesus – and we never can. It was a gift… given to us freely out of love we can never possibly fathom.

So when we try to bargain with God… “Lord, do this for me, and I promise, I will do such-and-such” or “Lord, I will give all I can to an orphanage or a mission if You will bless me in a specific manner” or “Lord, just let me have this one night to do whatever I please, and then I will follow You forever”… God just shakes His head (and possibly rolls His eyes) at our inability to understand how He operates.

We cannot pay off God… we can’t bargain with Him for what we want – at least not with any real hope of getting it! We can’t tell God what to do – or how to do it. And we can never pay God back for all He has given to us and done for us. And the best part is… He doesn’t want our payment. He just wants our love… our faith… our trust… and our service in His name – all freely given to Him. God doesn’t want us to love Him or serve Him out of obligation – any feeling we might have to do this to get to Heaven. He wants us to want Him as much as He wants us. Sounds like a no-brainer to me! It’s definitely the deal of a lifetime… and one I want in on forever – don’t you?

What are you waiting for? Isn’t it time to drop the pretenses and get real with God? Isn’t it time to lay your cards on the table and say, “Here I am, Lord… warts and all. I’m ready to love You and serve You… no matter what… will You have me?” My guess is that His arms are already open.

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: