Daily Devotional for March 8, 2011

Psalm 42:5-6
Fix my eyes on God – soon I’ll be praising again. He puts a smile on my face. He’s my God.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Recently, a women’s chorus sang during our church’s worship service. The song they selected was “Draw Me Close to You” – written by Kelly Carpenter, and made famous by such performers as Michael W. Smith. The words say…

Draw me close to You… never let me go…
I lay it all down again… to hear You say that I’m Your friend…
You are my desire… No One else will do…
‘Cause nothing else could take Your place…
To feel the warmth of Your embrace…
Help me find the way… Bring me back to You…

You’re all I want…You’re all I’ve ever needed…
You’re all I want… Help me know You are near.”

As things happen in our lives… as struggles come and we face huge challenges like illness, grief, and sadness… as we celebrate happy events and milestones… it’s sometimes easy to lose our focus. We fix our eyes on other things - and other people - and we lose sight of The One who truly puts a smile on our face.

The words of this song are profound. Truly no One else will do – ever! No One can satisfy us – no matter what we are confronting or experiencing – like our God Almighty! If you have wandered away… even a little bit… I pray that today, the words of this song will be your prayer. I pray that you will ask God to draw you close to Him and never let you go… that He will be all you need and all you ever want.

As you pray these words… if you can internalize them and truly mean them… you are in for the best days of your life. Once you concentrate on making God the center of your being… once you fix your eyes on Him and keep them there… everything else will come into focus. He is your God… He will put a smile on your face. Give Him praise for His power…grace… mercy… and love. Feel the warmth of His embrace and let His love wash over you. Let God draw you close and never let you go… and get ready to smile!

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: