Daily Devotional for March 22, 2011

Jeremiah 17:7-8
But I will bless those who trust me. They will be like trees growing beside a stream -- trees with roots that reach down to the water, and with leaves that are always green. They bear fruit every year and are never worried by a lack of rain.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

This is the time of year when we start to think about planting things and watching them grow. Everywhere you look, blooms are bursting open… green leaves are sprouting… the yards are filled with carpets of little white/yellow/purple flowers. Despite our harsh (by Arkansas standards) winter, the roots run deep to nurture plants and trees, and now many are bearing fruit. Even though we are still technically near drought conditions in our state, things are rising from the earth and “greening up” – taking nourishment from deep within the ground.

In my sun-room is a peace lily I have had for almost thirteen years… a gift from friends when my brother died. I have to admit, I am not the best “gardener” in the world, and I sorely neglect this plant. I’ve made a “Google reminder” to water my plants, but sometimes I still find this one drooped and sagging from lack of water. But without fail, a few cups of water (it’s a BIG plant) result in beautiful leaves – and cyclic blooms – that spring upward a few hours later. I can almost hear the plant heave a sigh… “Ahhhhhhhhhhh!”

If we stop and think about it, we Christians are the “plants”… and God is the “Gardener.” When we trust God to reign in our life, we enjoy the benefits of deep roots. Because we have a strong core relationship with God, when bumps in the road bring us what seems like a “drought,” God continues to meet our needs and nourish us. And just like my peace lily plant or the dormant flowers and trees of winter, when we return to him and fully bask in His counsel and blessings, our “stems” are strong and sturdy… everything reaches upward or blooms… and welcomes the day!

There will be seasons to our life when it seems as if God has abandoned us… times when we don’t feel as close to Him, no matter how much we pray or study the scripture. These are normal, and God really hasn’t deserted us… but He will use these times to test our faith – to see how we react. If you are firmly rooted and confident in your relationship, you will continue doing what you believe God wants you to do… serving, studying, loving, witnessing, and staying faithful and positive. When God comes along with several cups of “Living Water” to refresh you, you will heave a big sigh of relief, take a deep breath, and say, “Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!”

Isn’t it wonderful to live in the blessings of God?! Doesn’t it feel great to know your roots are deep and strong… that He is nurturing you from the bottom up and feeding you well… meeting every need with perfect care?! When I water my peace lily and it revives – or I look outside and see the foliage of spring practically popping open before my very eyes – I feel like the plants are saying, “Thank you!” and acknowledging my presence and care. It’s the same with God when we allow Him to nurture and refresh us, isn’t it?! Are you acknowledging His presence in your life? Have you thanked Him for establishing deep roots in your soul and nourishing you upward?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: