Daily Devotional for January 10, 2012

Psalm 148:5-7
Let all things praise the name of the LORD, because they were created at his command. He made them to last forever, and nothing can change what he has done. All creatures on earth, you obey his commands, so come praise the LORD!

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

This week, my dear, precious 3rd-grade teacher - Mrs. Ruth Garner - passed away. She was not only my teacher and friend for more than 45 years…she was also a dear friend to my grandmother. In fact, she sat at the same dining table with my grandmother in the assisted living facility where they both resided, and I visited with her often. Two other lifelong friends of my grandmother and Ruth also sit at this table. And these ladies who are left are incredibly sad and upset.

As we talked after Ruth died, my grandmother and I discussed God’s timing. My grandmother so desires to be next to go to heaven. She told me, “I have prayed about this and asked the LORD to take me.” But we agreed that we obey God’s commands - and when He says, “Come home,” we will go… but not a minute sooner. In the meantime, I pointed out to my grandmother that God apparently still has plans for her on this earth, because I believe He creates each of us with a purpose. Her purpose may be to smile at a nurse or a nurse’s aide and encourage her. She may be here to greet those who visit and offer them a word of wisdom or a reason to get up and out of the house. I really don’t know what her purpose is for each day… but God knows. And like each one of us, when she has done all He created her to do, He will call her home to heaven.

I know Mrs. Ruth was ready to go to heaven. Almost all of these ladies have lived past age 95. They are tired and ready to reunite with loved ones who have gone before them… and rest in the arms of Jesus. But as tired as she probably was, I never heard Mrs. Ruth complain about anything - except being served white meat chicken when she preferred dark meat! She was joyful and positive. She remembered dozens of her students by name… and you could tell she was thankful for each one. She appreciated visits from “young people” like me and others… and she always smiled. She praised the LORD for His creation… and she trusted and obeyed His commands.

My 3rd-grade teacher was still teaching me things at nearly 97 years of age… as are all of these dear elderly ladies I visit. I wonder… will we be sharing the example of praising God’s creation and His command when we are older? Do we even do this now? If not… shouldn’t we get started?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: