Daily Devotional for January 29, 2012

Genesis 15:1-6
After all these things, this word of God came to Abram in a vision: "Don't be afraid, Abram. I'm your shield. Your reward will be grand!" Abram said, "God, Master, what use are your gifts as long as I'm childless and Eliezer of Damascus is going to inherit everything?" Abram continued, "See, you've given me no children, and now a mere house servant is going to get it all."

Then God's Message came: "Don't worry, he won't be your heir; a son from your body will be your heir." Then he took him outside and said, "Look at the sky. Count the stars. Can you do it? Count your descendants! You're going to have a big family, Abram!" And he believed! Believed God! God declared him "Set-Right-with-God."

Romans 4:17-18
We call Abraham "father" not because he got God's attention by living like a saint, but because God made something out of Abraham when he was a nobody. Isn't that what we've always read in Scripture, God saying to Abraham, "I set you up as father of many peoples"? Abraham was first named "father" and then became a father because he dared to trust God to do what only God could do: raise the dead to life, with a word make something out of nothing. When everything was hopeless, Abraham believed anyway, deciding to live not on the basis of what he saw he couldn't do but on what God said he would do. And so he was made father of a multitude of peoples. God himself said to him, "You're going to have a big family, Abraham!”

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

In October 2010, I bought a workout video and told myself that I would do this… I would get in shape and become more healthy. The first day, I put the DVD in the machine and did as much of the workout as I could… and I honestly thought I might die. My legs shook like jelly for about an hour. I could not get my breath, my heart pounded, and I hurt – everywhere. The trainer on the DVD said, “If you are on Day Six or Seven, these exercises are probably already a little easier than on Day One.” Yeah, right! I wondered if I would ever even see Day Six or Seven. But her words encouraged me, and I took a giant leap of faith and trusted that in time, I truly would be able to do the workout routine… and hopefully I would become healthier and more fit.


More than a year later, I am able to do things I never dreamed I could do –pushups, jogging and weight lifting. I can balance and flex in ways I never thought possible at my age, and I’ve lowered my cholesterol and other “numbers” while becoming more fit and healthy. I listened to the trainer and kept the faith that she would deliver on her promises of strength and stamina. Now, when I face an exercise that seems daunting – or impossible – I look at how far I have come, and I realize that maybe I can actually do this! I know it is at least worth my best shot!


So often in life, we consider the problem… and not the promise. We look at the obstacles in our life… age, heritage, home life, health, economic status, race, level of education, and more… and we say, “There’s no way I can overcome this. I can never do what God is asking of me. I can never be what He thinks I can be. This is totally hopeless.” In truth, whatever God desires for you is entirely possible… from serving others in His name to serving on a committee at church or in your community to being a leader in your community, state, or country.


If God wants you to be a parent, head a major corporation, or serve as a missionary in a foreign land… He will equip you for the task. If He wants you to be able to purchase your own home and vehicle, overcome an addiction, or even lose a few pounds and get in shape, He can help you accomplish this. Our job is to focus on the promise… not the problem. Satan will try to trip us up at every turn by telling us that we are not good enough… that our situation is hopeless… that the promises are too grand, out of our league, and completely unattainable.


God has created a covenant partnership with us, as believers in Jesus Christ. He has promised that all things are possible, according to His will, when we trust Him. God NEVER defaults on a promise. The best thing we can do is continue to trust God even when we can’t see how things are going to come together. Just as it took several weeks of huffing and puffing and only being able to do small portions of the daily workout routine before I began to see any results, we often have to huff and puff along with God for a while before we catch a glimmer of the work He is doing in our lives.


We must not stagger… we must not backslide… and we most certainly must not give up! Have faith that God will deliver on His promises… keep plugging away at whatever path He has placed before you. Live on the basis of what God has said He will do… not what you can’t accomplish on your own. Pay attention to the small gains you make along the way, and stop to thank God for even small victories. When everything looks hopeless, listen for God’s voice… and keep going. Strengthen your faith as you grow in God’s promises. Focus on the potential for days when your “workout” will become easier… and all that you strived to accomplish has been delivered.

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: