Daily Devotional for August 2, 2012

Luke 14:12-14
Then he turned to the host. "The next time you put on a dinner, don't just invite your friends and family and rich neighbors, the kind of people who will return the favor. Invite some people who never get invited out, the misfits from the wrong side of the tracks. You'll be—and experience—a blessing. They won't be able to return the favor, but the favor will be returned—oh, how it will be returned!—at the resurrection of God's people."

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

My cousin Olivia has coppery red hair and freckles. I have blonde hair and very pale ivory skin. We both love pink. But the “pink” that looks good on Olivia is totally the wrong shade for my coloring. In fact, I would venture to say that there would be few colors that compliment both of us equally. Livvy looks great in yellow… I look like I’m ready for my own funeral! She can wear orange and coral… I look better in colors that have a blue undertone.

Most people gravitate toward certain colors that make them feel good – or hues they feel look best on them. Color preference is a deeply personal matter. If I only sewed with fabrics that suit me, I would probably not make things that please Olivia very often. If I stuck with patterns I like, I would rarely sew a stitch on polka dots, certain color palettes, or houndstooth, because these are not my personal favorites. But I try to think of those who will wear the garments I make. I want the clothes to be enjoyed. So Owen gets lots of orange… Timothy gets dinosaurs and Toy Story characters… and Olivia gets corals and teals. I might enjoy sewing in color palettes and patterns that better suit my tastes and preferences. But I count it a blessing to create something that will delight the recipient – and make them happy.

One of my Facebook friends posted this comment from Pastor Rick Warren, author of The Purpose Driven Life… "Our culture has accepted two huge lies: The first is that if you disagree with someone's lifestyle, you must fear them or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don't have to compromise convictions to be compassionate."

Let’s be honest… a lot of our intolerance comes from our fears and our unwillingness to agree to disagree. We are often so dead-set on being right that we cannot see that others may feel just as strongly that their opinion is spot-on. And often we operate in ignorance and a lack of compassion because of our fears… many of which are totally real… but also completely unfounded. I will never forget talking several years ago with the mother of a young woman who had contracted AIDS through IV drug use. The mother asked, “Can I kiss her?” That question broke my heart. She had been so afraid of contracting this disease that she had not been offering physical affection to her own child. I assured her that I understood her fears and concerns… but yes, she could hug and kiss her baby.

I don’t know your situation. I don’t know what trips you up and makes you fearful. I don’t know your personal opinions and preferences… or which shade of pink or blue flatters your skin tone. But I do know that we could all stand to open our hearts and minds a bit… to broaden our horizons… and be more tolerant of others. We could venture beyond the “Comfort Zone” of our own circle of familiarity and at least consider allowing in a few who have a different opinion or lifestyle. I’m not talking about changing who you are or how you think… I’m talking about acknowledging… and embracing someone who feels differently – if only just a little bit. In figurative terms, think “come for dinner” – not “marry me!”

God created so many wonderful people… such diverse personalities… beautiful variations of skin tone, hair color, size and shape, talent, intellect and ability. Yet we try to make everyone wear black and white and only the patterns and styles we prefer. We want them to think exactly as we do… and we criticize, disrespect, and fear them when they do not.

It’s time to “invite others to the dinner.” It is time to truly be the hands and feet of Jesus… to bless… and be blessed by doing the right thing and extending God’s love. Don’t ask “What’s in it for me?” Ask, “Is this what God wants me to do?” The “reward” will come… but probably not in the form you expected. You might even discover you have more in common with the other guy than you think. You may never like polka dots or houndstooth patterns… or even wear pink!... but you’ll never know until you try!

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: