Daily Devotional for August 20, 2012

Acts 10:27-28
Talking things over, they went on into the house, where Cornelius introduced Peter to everyone who had come. Peter addressed them, "You know, I'm sure that this is highly irregular. Jews just don't do this—visit and relax with people of another race. But God has just shown me that no race is better than any other. So the minute I was sent for, I came, no questions asked.”

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

I was so excited to begin my student teaching block in college. I would spend approximately six weeks in a kindergarten classroom, and another six weeks in a third grade setting. The kindergarten teacher to whom I was assigned was preparing to go on maternity leave. She would only be my mentor for one week. A replacement teacher spent much of that week with us… learning the ropes before she took over on Monday morning.

On Friday afternoon, the principal came to the classroom to speak with the replacement teacher. She informed her that the administration had decided that someone of color needed to be in the classroom on Monday. So this woman (who was white) would not be taking over in this classroom. Instead, a young woman who had student taught the previous semester (and was African-American) was being hired. I had shared some college classes with the new replacement, so I sort of knew her already. And on Monday morning, she was the new “teacher” in my kindergarten class.

I really liked this woman. But sadly, she had not really been allowed to do much teaching as a student teacher, and she was as lost as a goose. Since my mother had been a kindergarten teacher for decades, I was in more familiar territory. So we “co-taught” for the next five weeks. I wish I could say that the parents of the students in this classroom embraced my friend and made her transition an easy one… but this was not the case. I felt terrible knowing that she knew the only reason she was there was because of her skin color.

For the life of me, I cannot understand how – or why – we treat people this way. How can we look at another of God’s children and decide that he/she is different from us because of race, ethnicity, or lifestyle choices? Do we really think God makes mistakes? And if so, what makes us think that WE aren’t the mistake rather than the other guy? I bet you didn’t want to think about that… did you?!

I don’t know why God created different races. I don’t know why I have coarse, naturally curly hair, and others have stick-straight, baby-fine manes! Why are some of us short and others tall? Why are some individuals able to perform athletic feats that defy logic… while others are incredible musicians or artists from an early age? Why did God make mosquitoes… and even several species?

I don’t know the answers to such questions… and I’m not supposed to. Neither are you! But we are supposed to respect God’s creations… and to recognize that no race is better than another! To do any less is to exercise arrogance and to insult Almighty God… to imply that we know better than He, which is preposterous.

If you harbor any feelings of bias or bigotry, I encourage you to spend some time in prayer - and ask God to help you. Humbly call on Him to show you how to be more loving and accepting of all people… regardless of their skin color, ethnicity or beliefs. Show others the encompassing love and kindness that Jesus shows to each of us, and take a page from Peter’s book. Follow what God shows you… not the world. Don’t question Him… just do what He says. Sit back, relax…and love all others as God loves you!

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: