Daily Devotional for August 9, 2012

1 Peter 3:15-18
If with heart and soul you're doing good, do you think you can be stopped? Even if you suffer for it, you're still better off. Don't give the opposition a second thought. Through thick and thin, keep your hearts at attention, in adoration before Christ, your Master. Be ready to speak up and tell anyone who asks why you're living the way you are, and always with the utmost courtesy. Keep a clear conscience before God so that when people throw mud at you, none of it will stick. They'll end up realizing that they're the ones who need a bath. It's better to suffer for doing good, if that's what God wants, than to be punished for doing bad. That's what Christ did definitively: suffered because of others' sins, the Righteous One for the unrighteous ones. He went through it all—was put to death and then made alive—to bring us to God.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

My brother was what we called a “husky boy” when we were little. I was tall and gangly… he was shorter – and stout! Even though I was four years older, Tim could take me down on any given day. And so it was one day when he tackled me in our front yard and started to pummel me, as siblings sometimes do. My dad stepped to the front door and said, “Hit him back!” I looked up and tearfully said, “I can’t!” I was always a softie when it came to my brother… but even in that childhood moment, I also knew that retaliation was not the answer!

I have to wonder at those who insist that biting a baby who bites is the solution to get him/her to stop. What part of hitting a child tells them it is not okay to hit others? Like many siblings who fought, I “suffered through” the growing pains with my little brother – and the frequent tussles we had over virtually nothing. And in his last days, I also apologized profusely to him for the times when I was not so virtuous… and even let him take the blame – and the punishment – for things I had done. To his credit, he graciously forgave me.

As children, we have to learn that slinging mud on another person is not the answer to our problems. Sadly, many of us not only fail this lesson… we actually perfect our technique! There are times when we all want to lash out at someone… when we want to stomp our foot and throw something and say, “Wait just one minute!” In Christ we find the perfect example of suffering for doing good… taking the High Road…and living with the utmost courtesy. Often, we make a much bigger statement by turning and walking away from a fight than staying to participate.

We must all ask the question…“Is this how God wants me to respond? Does He want me to get into this fight… or should I politely go about my business and let my behavior speak for itself?” I am as guilty as the next person of speaking up and lashing out when I shouldn’t. A lot of things we get involved are really not our battles. I’ve been asking God to help me with this… to give me wisdom and the good sense to bite my tongue and walk away when necessary.

At the same time, there will be people who may question your actions… those who feel they need to understand why you are not speaking up on a particular issue or getting involved in certain situations. This is the perfect opportunity for you to share your faith… and to explain how you communicate with God. Don’t be smug about it… but do take these moments as openings for a dialog about how God is working in your life. Convey how He gives you grace, mercy and forgiveness… and how He helps you to extend this to others.

God does not want us to be doormats on His behalf… but He didn’t call us to fight His battles either. It is up to us to know when and where to “hold ‘em or fold ‘em.” We must do all that we can to always represent God and honor Him - and sometimes that means suffering for the good. What about you? Are you able to resist the mud that is thrown in your direction… or has some of it managed to stick? Make today the day you come clean and begin to operate in God’s wisdom and grace. Be certain that your demeanor reflects His… and your heart remains in adoration to Christ. God will handle everything else!

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: