Daily Devotional for September 17, 2012

James 5:7-8
Meanwhile, friends, wait patiently for the Master’s Arrival. You see farmers do this all the time, waiting for their valuable crops to mature, patiently letting the rain do its slow but sure work. Be patient like that. Stay steady and strong. The Master could arrive at any time.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

I will be the first to admit that waiting is not my strong suit. Last week, I walked out on our back porch and found a hummingbird, belly up in the seat of one of our patio chairs. I told my husband, “There is a dead hummingbird on our back porch… what should I do?” He replied, “Leave it alone.” The next morning, the bird was gone. I wondered aloud to my husband, “What kind of ‘critter’ took that bird?” He surmised… “It was probably just stunned… that’s why you leave them alone for a while.”

Birds fly into our picture windows all the time and fall to the ground in a temporary stupor. Hours later, they are gone. I’m amazed at their resilience. I’m also frustrated by my impatience and impulsiveness. So often, we shoot ourselves in the foot, so to speak… or we make things much harder and more complicated than they need to be… because we do not wait patiently.

For several months now, my grandmother has been indicating to me that she is ready to die. I can see that she is miserable… trapped in a body that no longer responds in the ways she wishes, with a severely limited ability to speak that leaves her frustrated and isolated. I have watched lately as young people who appeared to have so much to live for were called to heaven, while obedient, faithful, elderly servants linger – and often appear to suffer in the process. I admit… I am sorely tempted to question God, even though I know He has reasons I will never understand in this lifetime.

I have prayed for lives to be changed and trusted God to do exactly this… and then asked Him, “When, LORD… WHEN?” I have prayed with countless others for the drought to end this summer, knowing full well that God knew people were hurting, losing their crops and livelihood, facing higher prices at the store as a result, and suffering in dozens of other ways. I have wondered why this was allowed…and when it would end. And in His timing, God has answered with refreshing restorative rainfall. I know that God will answer my other requests… when the time is perfect.

I have waited... but only because there was nothing else I could do, in most cases. The lesson of the hummingbird is that there is purpose in waiting. Our job is to remain faithful, awake, and alert… because we truly do not know when or how God will answer – only that He will. My challenge for all of us is to wait patiently – and confidently… to trust that God is in control and will show up at exactly the right moment. We must prepare… stay strong… and be ready for God’s appearance. What about you? Do you wait on God faithfully and expectantly… or because you feel you have no other choice? Exactly how prepared are you for God to show up in your life? How well are you waiting?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: