Daily Devotional for September 30, 2012

Ephesians 1:19-23
I want you to know about the great and mighty power that God has for us followers. It is the same wonderful power he used when he raised Christ from death and let him sit at his right side in heaven. There Christ rules over all forces, authorities, powers, and rulers. He rules over all beings in this world and will rule in the future world as well. God has put all things under the power of Christ, and for the good of the church he has made him the head of everything. The church is Christ’s body and is filled with Christ who completely fills everything.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

In the last year, my once-talkative grandmother has lost much of her ability to speak. Doctors think this is the result of a stroke she suffered at some point – maybe last summer. At any rate, she has what is called “expressive aphasia,” meaning that some days she can get out a few sentences or big words… but much of the time, she is lucky to manage a “Yes” or “No” - “How are you?” or “I’m fine.” And of course, she can still usually manage her trademark “I tell you what…” but then, she cannot tell you what! To say this is frustrating – for her and those who try to communicate with her – would be a huge understatement.

My grandmother feels as if she is powerless over much of her life. Generally, she cannot tell others what she wants, how she feels, or express her worries and concerns. As I talked with her today, I reminded her that she has told me all of my life, “The LORD will take care of me”… and He has – He is taking care of us this very minute! She has also shown me a tremendous example of courage and faith in situations when it seemed she was completely powerless… her home burning to the ground… the loss of my grandfather – and then the death of my dad, who was her only living child. She has risen to the occasion time and again… and I know it was not under her own power. I know her faith and her strength have sustained her.

So today, as she struggled and wanted to “tell you things,” as she kept saying, I reminded her of God’s power. I told her that even though she cannot talk and tell us things, God knows every word she is thinking and wanting to say. He still hears her voice… and He is still answering. We can never match God’s power… the all-encompassing power He extends to Jesus Christ on our behalf. But we can trust Him to operate in our best interest… to rule over all things with perfection… and to hear our every word – even when we can only think them.

Are you tapped in to the power of Jesus Christ today? Are you operating in faith that He is in complete and perfect control of your life and your surroundings? Do you communicate with Him daily and ask for His guidance and authority over every aspect of your life? Isn’t it time to “let go and let God?” Aren’t you ready to live within the freedom of allowing His power to direct your steps? Stop and spend a few minutes in prayer. Admit to God that you are powerless… but He is mighty. Ask Him to hear you… to guide your path… and to provide you with perfect plans and outcomes. Then rest in His decisions… trust Him completely, and praise Him for wielding perfect power over all beings – today, and always.

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: