Daily Devotional for September 27, 2012

Ephesians 1:7-10

Because of the sacrifice of the Messiah, his blood poured out on the altar of the Cross, we’re a free people—free of penalties and punishments chalked up by all our misdeeds. And not just barely free, either. Abundantly free! He thought of everything, provided for everything we could possibly need, letting us in on the plans he took such delight in making. He set it all out before us in Christ, a long-range plan in which everything would be brought together and summed up in him, everything in deepest heaven, everything on planet earth.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Bill paying is a big deal with me. I have pop-up reminders and schedules to help me remember to pay each bill well before the due date. I am thankful that I have the funds to pay my bills, and I often check the balance in my accounts before making a purchase… just to be sure the money is there to cover my debts! I’ll be honest… a couple of times I thought an online payment “sent” and my connection apparently dropped. The bill became past due, penalties were incurred… and I was miserable at the thought of spending more money than necessary because of a failure to be even more diligent than I assumed was necessary! So I can imagine how this must be compounded for someone who gets caught in a vicious cycle of spending more than he/she has. The hopelessness and futility that must ensue as a person slides further down a spiraling tunnel of trouble simply boggles my mind.

Imagine for one minute how it would feel for someone to say, “I’m paying every one of your bills… you are debt free. You don’t have to pay back the money. Just “clean up your act” and do the right thing moving forward. Don’t buy more than you can afford. Live in a way that says, ‘I was worth rescuing!’ Pay the favor and blessings forward to others because of what I did for you.” As I read this passage today, I was struck by the hope and good news it brings to each of us. Because this is exactly what Jesus has done on our behalf.

We were drowning in the debt of sin. We had “bills” we could never pay, and they were growing exponentially every single day. Then Jesus stepped in and said, “I’m paying every single debt. You don’t owe a dime… you are completely free… totally released… no interest or penalties are incurred. Now go and share my Good News with others.” Can you feel the release of this burden? Are you somewhat overwhelmed by its impact? Does the gravity of what Jesus did for each of us shake you to your very core… humble you and fill you with a desire to be better for it? It should!

Thousands, if not millions of people in this country are drowning in debt they cannot repay. Because of a downturn in the economy, catastrophic events beyond their control, or even downright carelessness, many cannot ever begin think about paying down the debts they have incurred. We see lawyers, financial advisors and others advertising every day that they can help consolidate and reduce our debt... for a fee, of course! Aren’t you glad that there is ONE who can totally erase the biggest debt of all… our sins? The one debt that each of us has is totally reparable.

You may need help with your finances, but help for your soul is already here! Freedom in Jesus is the most important component… a critical first step toward becoming debt-free in all areas of life. Have you accepted Jesus’ offer of help today? Have you allowed Him to take control of your life, your liabilities, and your future? Are you operating in the abundant freedom from sin that He offers? This is a great day to allow Jesus to wipe the slate clean and give you a fresh start. Pray with me that this will be the first day of your true freedom. Make the commitment to clean up your debts and move forward in the abundant freedom a life in Christ offers. Are you abundantly free in Christ and living in His plan for your life? Isn’t it time you were?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: