Daily Devotional for December 16, 2012

Philippians 3:12-14
I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

There isn’t much I can add to this scripture passage. I certainly relate to the words of the Apostle Paul... I do not have it all together. While some would say I “have it made”… no life is without frustrations, worries and concerns – at least from time to time. Like others, my life has ups and downs. And I am definitely not an expert in all of this. I prayerfully share my thoughts about these scriptures with you. I try to offer my personal insight into how God is speaking through these verses about the events of our daily living… and how we can apply His teachings to our own lives.

But I am sure that there are days my message misses the mark… or holds little meaning or relevance for your own life. Because after all, these are my personal applications of God’s word. This is what He speaks to me on any given day.

Still, there is one thing I would hope that we could share from this… and that is a determination to press forward… to never turn back… to keep our eye on the prize of a life lived for Jesus Christ. Along the way, there will be challenges, troubles, and even heartaches. But if we keep running toward Jesus, He will meet us… and meet our needs.

One thing I would offer you today is this… as we press forward toward Jesus, we have to let go of many of our frustrations. We cannot harbor grudges. We can’t dredge up the insults and disappointments of our past. Our experiences shape us… but they must not define us. So whatever resentments you harbor… whatever mistakes you have made… whatever insults and offenses you have suffered… you must let them go. If you want to move onward with Jesus, you have to give Him your past – all of it. We must learn from the past… but we must live in the present and future with Christ.

So press onward! Reach for the goal of an earthly life lived for Jesus… and Eternity spent in His presence. Don’t get smug or overconfident. Stay close to God… and stay humble. But reach out for Christ…give Him the burdens of your past… and focus on what He has in store for you next!

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: