Daily Devotional for December 4, 2012

Romans 8:18-27
I am sure that what we are suffering now cannot compare with the glory that will be shown to us. In fact, all creation is eagerly waiting for God to show who his children are. Meanwhile, creation is confused, but not because it wants to be confused. God made it this way in the hope that creation would be set free from decay and would share in the glorious freedom of his children. We know that all creation is still groaning and is in pain, like a woman about to give birth.

The Spirit makes us sure about what we will be in the future. But now we groan silently, while we wait for God to show that we are his children. This means that our bodies will also be set free. And this hope is what saves us. But if we already have what we hope for, there is no need to keep on hoping. However, we hope for something we have not yet seen, and we patiently wait for it.

In certain ways we are weak, but the Spirit is here to help us. For example, when we don’t know what to pray for, the Spirit prays for us in ways that cannot be put into words. All of our thoughts are known to God. He can understand what is in the mind of the Spirit, as the Spirit prays for God’s people.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

My husband and I took Timothy and his younger sister, Zola, to play at the park. On the way home afterward, Timmy started a little mantra… “I don’t want to go home! I don’t want to go home! I want to go back to your house! I don’t want to go home!” Finally, I said, “Timothy, you have to go home, because tomorrow when you wake up, there will be a surprise for you there.” We had left an advent gift for the children… something to unwrap every day until Christmas - and the next day was December 1st.

Immediately, Timmy asked, “What is the surprise?” I replied, “I can’t tell you.” “But what is it?” he persisted. “I’m not telling you… it’s a secret.” “But what IS the secret?” he changed his tactic. “I can’t tell you… then it wouldn’t be a secret.” “But you have to tell me!” he insisted. I assured him I did not have to tell… and I wouldn’t… he would just have to wait until the next morning to see the surprise.

Man! Do we ever do this with God! “But you have to show us… now!” we groan. “We need answers! We need to see what is coming next! We need to know, LORD!” We are impatient… we want what we hope for, and we want it… TODAY!

As I read this passage, I thought of Timothy. Oh, how I love him! I so wanted to tell him what was in store. I wanted to scoop him up, hug him and wipe away his tears and say, “It’s okay, buddy. Here’s how this is going to go. We’re taking care of you.” But there are times when we must allow our children to develop patience… and wait. And God knows that great, exciting things are in store for us… but we have to cultivate our faith, develop endurance, and practice perseverance before He delivers.

Timothy’s pleas grew louder and louder, as if our silence indicated that we didn’t hear him. And our prayers often take on a sense of urgency and a louder tone. We need to realize that God hears us… He knows our thoughts… He understands our every need. And He is on the job… working things out perfectly. OUR JOB is to trust God… to continue to walk in faith… to never lose hope…and to wait patiently on His answers and outcomes. This is a tall order for most of us. But as surely as Christmas surprises come for three-year-old boys who hang in there… God delivers on our behalf.

What are you hoping for these days? How patiently are you waiting on God’s response?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: