Daily Devotional for September 10, 2013

Deuteronomy 30:19
“Today I have given you the choice between life and death, between blessings and curses. Now I call on heaven and earth to witness the choice you make. Oh, that you would choose life, so that you and your descendants might live!”
 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
Almost two decades ago, a woman I knew took her own life.  Her funeral was one of the most difficult experiences I’ve ever endured.  No one could understand why this vibrant, beautiful grandmother took her own life.  The pastor explained at the service that this was not truly the person we all knew and loved… that surely something must have gone terribly wrong in her mind and heart in order for her to choose to die.  When I think of all she had to live for… grandchildren she has never seen, all kinds of opportunities that might have been in store for her…I have to believe that my pastor was exactly right.  Had she been of sound mind, there is no way she would have ever chosen to die.
 
As hard as it is for us to comprehend taking our own life, this is essentially what many of us choose to do when we do not follow God.  Those who believe that they don’t need God’s help have virtually pulled the trigger and committed to their own spiritual death.  We are not superhuman.  We do not have the capacity to make it on our own in this world.  When we try, we often end up like my friend…overcome by the pressures, challenges and demons… and ugly things can result that can have a ripple effect for generations to come.
 
So many of us know that a relationship with the Holy Spirit is the answer, but we choose otherwise… human relationships, material accumulation, work, alcohol, drugs, money, gambling, and more.  We stay “on the run” – continually seeking something that will satisfy, solve all of our problems and/or answer all of our questions.  Timothy has a little Sesame Street book called I Can Do It Myself.  That’s a pretty good mantra when you are a toddler… but even toddlers seem to have more sense about when to ask for help than the rest of us!
 
Don’t misunderstand me… I look forward to heaven… but only when GOD says it’s time for me to move there!  Meanwhile, I know that I cannot navigate this earth successfully on my own.  Furthermore, I know that the only way to spend eternity with God is to choose to serve Him now – here – in this lifetime.  Not every day will be fun… there will be challenges, sorrows, heartaches and disappointments along the way.  Choosing to follow God does not mean that life becomes instantly perfect!  But even the worst day with Him is better than one day without.
 
So what do you say?  How will you choose?  Are you “holding the gun to your head, ready to pull the trigger”?  Isn’t it time you “let go and let God” have control in your life?  Are you ready to choose Eternal Life and truly live for the rest of your days?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: