Daily Devotional for September 17, 2013

Isaiah 30:19-21
O people of Zion, who live in Jerusalem,
    you will weep no more.
He will be gracious if you ask for help.
    He will surely respond to the sound of your cries.
Though the Lord gave you adversity for food
    and suffering for drink,
he will still be with you to teach you.
    You will see your teacher with your own eyes.
Your own ears will hear him.
    Right behind you a voice will say,
“This is the way you should go,”
    whether to the right or to the left.

 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
“You can teach yourself to type.”  That’s what several people told me when I was in high school.  I really thought I would save the time block allotted for typing class and take something else in its place.  I got a manual – maybe from the local library, and I practiced over the summer.  This was long before the Internet, and so long ago that I’ve forgotten some of the details.  Suffice it to say that when the school year rolled around, I decided I needed to take the class…I needed the teacher’s help.  I can still remember her hovering over me as I typed… giving me instruction about not only how to type, but also how to care for the typewriter itself.
 
Since I type every single day, I am so grateful that I chose to take that class and learn the proper technique.  Typing served both Greg and me very well through college… and it certainly played a huge role in our publishing business!  I think of my grandfather and how he “hunted and pecked” as he typed information onto insurance and real estate forms, and I am thankful for every struggle… every minute of frustration and boredom as I learned how to type properly.
 
Could I have learned to type on my own?  Probably.  Would I have been good at it, in my own way?  Possibly. But knowing that I had an expert standing behind me to whisper, “Do this” or “Don’t do that” made a difference.  I know that now… just as I know that I can’t make it on my own without help from the LORD.  Believe me, there have been plenty of times when I have tried.  But there have been more when I’ve cried out for help… and received it.
 
People ask why God allows us to go through trials.  Why are we challenged?  A friend posted on Facebook today… “I need a book or a course on how to not let "frustrating" customers annoy the bajeepers out of me and drain me of life.”  I responded…”Not to sound trite or "preachy", but I know a GOOD ONE! Start with Philippians 4:9... ‘Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you.’ Philippians 4:13 is a good ‘mantra’ to repeat when frustrated... ‘For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.’”
 
A lot of what happens to us in life boils down to a choice… whether to try to handle things on our own – or to “let go and let God.”  I don’t know about you, but I’m not up for living life via the “hunt and peck” method.  I’m ready to ask for God’s help… and to listen to His reply.  Are you?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: