Daily Devotional for September 23, 2013

Luke 10:38-42
The Lord and his disciples were traveling along and came to a village. When they got there, a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home.  She had a sister named Mary, who sat down in front of the Lord and was listening to what he said.  Martha was worried about all that had to be done. Finally, she went to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it bother you that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her to come and help me!”
 
The Lord answered, “Martha, Martha! You are worried and upset about so many things, but only one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen what is best, and it will not be taken away from her.”
 
Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.
 
This morning, a friend posted a video on Facebook from former NFL wide receiver (and Little Rock, Arkansas native) Trent Shelton, who founded a Christian, non-profit organization called Rehab Time.  Shelton travels the country as an author and motivational speaker, and he conducts seminars on how to “rehab” your life.  The theme of this video by Shelton was “Evaluating Your Circle.”  Using references to athletic teamwork, Shelton explained how we must evaluate those in our “circle” and ask if they are “playing for the team… or playing for themselves”.  He asks, “Do they use ‘me’ instead of ‘we’… ‘I’ instead of ‘us’?”
 
Shelton notes that “Successful teams have loyal, committed people who are willing to do whatever it takes to make sure the team succeeds.  Everybody is a role player.”  He asks, “Who’s sitting at your table with a personal agenda… who is sitting at your table that refuses to sacrifice?  Who’s sitting at your table and bringing more problems to it than solutions?  Make sure that everyone at your table is more concerned about what they can do for each other than what they can do for themselves.”
 
In this familiar scripture passage that tells the story of two sisters, Mary and Martha, we find two friends of Jesus’ - both of whom He loved dearly…and they loved Him in return.  Both were “on His team”.  And while neither would totally fit Shelton’s description of someone who was playing for herself rather than the team, it’s safe to say that one of them was a tad misguided.  Martha was so concerned with all of the little details… whether the meal was just right… whether the table was set correctly…had she forgotten anything – and would Jesus be disappointed.  Mary plopped down at Jesus’ feet and simply absorbed His presence.  She listened and learned His ways… she internalized the “team mission” and made mental note of what Jesus was saying – and what He was calling her to do.  There would be plenty of time to fret and stress over details like table settings and meal planning.  Jesus was here… the need for her full attention was now!  Her personal agenda could wait.
 
I will be the first to tell you that I have been a “Martha” far too often.  I’m a details person… I like to make sure that things are done correctly and nicely.  I love to make memories for others.  So when I share baked goods or a casserole, I like to send it in a nice dish with a pretty card.  When I prepare a family dinner, I like for the table to be decorated… and I want the food to be special.  Would a loaf of banana bread wrapped in tin foil taste just as good to a grieving family or someone who is ill?  Certainly!  Would my family be any less gathered together to enjoy one another’s company if I served bologna sandwiches on paper plates?  Not in the least!  Would the “spirit” of the gestures be lessened if I paid more attention to their intention and less on “looking good”?  Absolutely!
 
Fifteen years ago this morning, angels carried my 37-year-old brother, Tim, to heaven.  It was a beautiful, sunny morning… much like this one, although not as cool and crisp.  Time has lessened the grief of his passing, but not the ache I often feel in my heart for his earthly presence.  There’s a good chance that you have a similar ache in your heart for someone who was special and dear to you. In the days leading to and surrounding his death, I learned that the most important thing I could do was spend time with Him and my family.  This was a lesson I have never forgotten.
 
I saw how countless friends and members of my parents’ church dropped everything to come and stay from dusk to dawn, preparing and organizing meals, cleaning the house, running errands, and more.  Casseroles, desserts and full meals appeared off and on in the days before Tim passed.  When he died, people came to prepare coffee and pastries for breakfast… and someone mopped the kitchen floor at bedtime each night before leaving - for almost a week.  It might sound like we were never granted a private moment, but you would be amazed at the stealth with which these servants operated.  They were in the background, completing the “teamwork”, and focusing completely on meeting our needs.
 
I never cease to be amazed at how God uses even the most heart-wrenching circumstances to teach us more about His love, grace and mercy.  I have tried to take to heart the lessons I learned in observing those who came to our aid at this sad time… and again 13 months later when my dad followed Tim to heaven.  I have tried to set aside personal agendas to serve others in Jesus’ name, as I felt Him leading me.  And when another “Tim” came into our lives four years ago, followed by his sister Zola and brother Nathan, I vowed to instill in them a spirit of “teamwork” and service above self.  It’s not always easy… there are plenty of days when I would rather do what I had in mind than to do something for someone else.  We are still human, after all!
 
We all make choices.  It is so easy to become self-centered… to focus on just making it through the day and meeting your own personal needs.  But Jesus has told us that… “only one thing is necessary” - that we focus on Him and His agenda.  And He has promised that the “sacrifice” of this choice will not be taken from us.  In other words… this is where the real joy and blessings lie!
 
Trent Shelton’s reminder to evaluate our “circle” is timely.  We do need to take a look at who is on our “team”, as well as our own role there.  How are we functioning… who are we serving?  Is it time to reposition ourselves… or could we possibly be playing for the wrong team?  Do we need to choose more wisely… and isn’t this a good time to begin?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus
 
http://trentshelton.com

No comments: