Daily Devotional for September 15, 2013

Galatians 6:7-8
Don’t be misled—you cannot mock the justice of God. You will always harvest what you plant. Those who live only to satisfy their own sinful nature will harvest decay and death from that sinful nature. But those who live to please the Spirit will harvest everlasting life from the Spirit.
 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
There’s a new Sonic® commercial where two guys are sitting in the car, and one of them says that he woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, and the other guy says, “Tell me about it”… then proceeds to talk about something.  Guy #1 says, “Wait a minute!  You said ‘tell me about it,’ and then you didn’t give me a chance to tell you!”  Guy #2 says, “Man, you really did wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!”  It’s a silly commercial… not as funny in my opinion as most by these two actors… but it does make a good point.
 
We are often so caught up in our own life that we really don’t give the other person a chance to “tell us about it.”  We ask people how they are doing as we pass them… but we certainly don’t intend for them to answer us - and we’re not about to stop what we are doing long enough to hear their answer!  We don’t notice that others have needs, because we are so busy whining and complaining about our own.  We can’t be bothered to help a friend, because we might have to give up or postpone something that we want to do for ourselves.  We’ll spend hours shopping online or in a store for just the right shoes, purses, golf clubs, hunting rifle, fishing pole, or outfit to wear to an event… but we can’t spend thirty minutes talking to a friend in need… much less take an hour or two on Sunday to attend a worship service.
 
We don’t stop to think how others are affected by our decisions because we are too busy worrying about whether or not we will be “fulfilled”, satisfied or happy with the choice.  I’m just as guilty as the rest of you… I have made my share of excuses when I didn’t want to do something.  But I have also done things I didn’t want to do because they were the right choice… like spend time taking my grandmother to events that didn’t interest me because she had no other way to get there and needed assistance getting around once there.  I don’t always want to bite my tongue when someone says something that I disagree with, even though I know to respond might start World War Three or destroy a friendship.  I have to consciously choose to pay the guy at the farmer’s market more than he is asking for his home-grown vegetables, even when it means I’m giving him the last of my change… or to tell the girl who sells me her daughters’ hand-me-downs that she is undercharging and give her extra money, even though she didn’t ask for it, and I could rightfully pay her pennies on the dollar.
 
The point is that we have choices.  We can choose to serve ourselves and always do what “feels good.”  Or we can ask, “Does this please God and honor my commitment to serve Him as a Christian disciple?” and choose to do what is right.  Sometimes, that choice actually feels good and serves us, whether we intended for it to do so or not.  Often, we get the bigger blessing when we make a hard choice.  Either way, we must deal with our decisions and face the results.
 
I don’t know what hard choices you are encountering.  I don’t know whether you are serving yourself more than you serve God and others… or if you have made a habit of living selflessly.  The balance can be delicate.  But if you will practice serving God and others first, you will find that you end up served in the bargain more often than not.  At the end of the day, God will be pleased with your decisions.  And that’s really all that matters.
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: